82 release on dvdr

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:35 pm

82 release on dvdr

I know this has been discussed before but just wanted to give some feedback, just got my hands on the original 1982 release on dvdr which I got from superhappyfun, highly recommended! It appears to have been transfered from laserdisc and the quality is very good. It will keep me somewhat happy until the real special ed. is released! Thanks to you guys on this forum that I found this one! 8)
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:30 am

"This is the original version of Blade Runner before Ridley Scott f'd it up. This one has the voice over and no cheesy dream sequence. Ltbx and beautiful."

That's all the info on the site. What I would like to know is: Is is letterboxed or widescreen (or just plain 4:3)? Does it look better than VHS? Is it really good? How does the quality compare to the DVD of Blade Runner DC? How did they send it to you? Is it region free?

Thanks.

PS. Oops, I guess "Ltbx" stands for Letterboxed, right?
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:41 am

Oh heck, I just ordered it.
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:46 am

little off topic but i just gotta comment: very nice sig there Leon little big but very nice
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:16 am

Thank you, I'll try to find something smaller.
<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:33 pm

fyi

widescreen, stereo, better quality than my VHS copy, they mailed it to me via US post within 2 weeks and I'm in Toronto Canada
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:26 am

Re: fyi

sir kris wrote:widescreen, stereo, better quality than my VHS copy, they mailed it to me via US post within 2 weeks and I'm in Toronto Canada

Thanks, it will be mine soon.
<<

Partizan

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:28 am

Re: 82 release on dvdr

sir kris wrote:I know this has been discussed before but just wanted to give some feedback, just got my hands on the original 1982 release on dvdr which I got from superhappyfun, highly recommended! It appears to have been transfered from laserdisc and the quality is very good. It will keep me somewhat happy until the real special ed. is released! Thanks to you guys on this forum that I found this one! 8)

I recently "recived it" on two .avi files (2x700mb), a ripp from that same laserdisc. I got really excited when i found it on DC, i havent seen this version in 15 years.. untill 1 year ago i didnt even know (didnt recall) that the original had a speaker voice (Film Noir or whatever its called).

This is for me... the real.. original... the best Bladerunner version!
ofcourse.. there`s always some little things you wanna change, but i am greatful that it doesnt contain any wierd unicorn scene, and imho no doubts about Deckard not beeing human.

Regards
"..like tears in rain.."
<<

The Old BladeRunner

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:58 am

where is this link "superhappyfun" ?? id be interested in watching my 82 version on DVD, if it's clearer....
That hurt! That was irrational of you. Not to mention ... unsportsmanlike.Heh heh...ha ha ha! Where are you going?"
<<

The Old BladeRunner

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 pm

i might order tht, wait is this an old post ok if it isnt and someone reads this aaand u might know i was wondering where other sources might be for the bootleg and if its better quality...

thanks alot
That hurt! That was irrational of you. Not to mention ... unsportsmanlike.Heh heh...ha ha ha! Where are you going?"
<<

undertoe

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:51 pm

I just received the international theatrical release bootleg today from supperhappyfun.
I assume the source material was from the original criterion laser disc , the DVD transfer has been made by use of a standalone DVD recorder. Disc volume name DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER , also has the basic menu from a DVD recorder with one video item available to play.

One disappointing feature is the bit rate used on the encode could have been higher, size used on disc is 3.55 GB. I don't know if this is due to the maximum encoding bitrate on the recorder being low , or the person responsible for the encode not caring about maximum output quality.

I have seen discs offered on eBay that have full menus , and scene selection there for it is possible they were encoded at a higher bitrate, thus resulting in a better quality transfer.
<<

Monolith

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:45 am

Yeah I have the VHS version and would love a DVD copy. I am surprised there isn't an official copy.
<<

Blaksvn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:19 am

A LONG time member of the originaltrilogy.com and BR fan has taken the latest HD broadcast and converted it to DVD-DL!!

Read the whole thread - it is on the torrent network for FREE downloads so grab it here and not on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!
Word to the Spookies...
<<

Blaksvn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:34 am

Hey there gang!

I'm a new member here on the forums and I wanted to get you all updated on the latest and BEST FAN CREATED Preservation efforts for the long OOP, NLA or broadcasted versions of BLADE RUNNER that are NOT available via a official release.

These titles were created by fans and for the fans, I will soon be uploading these titles for free upload via bittorrent and newsgroups ? I will create a TORRENT release thread here for you all, this way you will all be up to date on these works!

Blade Runner: The International Cut - DARK/SVN version
Dark Jedi Laserdisc transfer and Angrysvn DVD authoring
Running Time: 117 minutes

The original laserdisc was Criterion's number one selling title for more than a few years, now it?s been transferred to DVD. The International Cut contains graphic violence excluded from both the original theatrical version and the directors cut. The added violence makes this version about 15 seconds longer than the US theatrical release.

*Has the noir voice over by Deckard
*Batty sticks his thumbs in Tyrell's eyes, which bleed copiously.
*Pris lifts Deckard up by his nostrils when she beats him up.
*Deckard shoots Pris a third time.
*More of Pris kicking and screaming when she is shot by Deckard.
*Shows Roy actually pushing the nail through his hand.
*Has the happy ending.

- Angrysvn Release BLAX20
- 1 DVDr
- Fan Preservation
- Source: Criterion Laserdisc CVL # 69
- Widescreen
- Chapter Stops

Tech Specs
- 3.46gigs
- Video: 3-4 Mbps (average bitrate)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 (192 Kbps)
- DVD-Rom (soundtrack and more)
- Custom Cover art available

MENU SAMPLE of DARK/SVN BR Criterion LD transfer

On the Edge of Blade Runner - Angry/Citizen Version
Citizen VHS transfer and Angrysvn DVD authoring
Running Time: 52 min 14 sec

This fan created DVD features interviews with the films production staff, including Ridley Scott; who gives details into the creative process and turmoil during preproduction and stories from Paul M. Sammon and Fancher that provide insight into Philip K. Dick and the origins of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Through these interviews we get a sense of how difficult and frustrating the film was to make as a result of an exacting director without allies and hot, wet, smoggy conditions; which added to the high pressure atmosphere everyone increasingly felt as the film went over budget. There is also a tour of some locations, most notably the Bradbury Building and the Warner Brothers backlot that was the LA 2019 streets, which look very different from Ridley's dark version. The documentary then details the test screenings postproduction editing/changes (voice over and happy ending, deleted Holden hospital scene), special effects, soundtrack by Vangelis, and the unhappy relationship between the filmmakers and the investors; which culminated in Deeley and Ridley being fired but still working on the film. The question of whether or not Deckard is a replicant surfaces. After being a "disaster" in the box office (a financial loss initially) Blade Runner was reborn in the video rental market, and a great reception of a chance screening of Ridley's workprint at the Fairfax Theater, Los Angeles, in May 1990 led to Warner Bros. having the "Director's Cut" done by film archivist Michael Arick.

Produced in 2000 by Nobles Gate Ltd. for Channel 4 was directed by Andrew Abbott and hosted/written by Mark Kermode.

- Angrysvn Release BLAX24
- 1 DVDr
- Fan Preservation of OTA Broadcast
- Source: Home recorded VHS of OTA PAL broadcast
- Anamorphic Widescreen

Tech Specs
- 3.62gigs
- Video: 8.5-9 Mbps (average bitrate)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 (224 Kbps)
- DVD-Rom

One the Edge of BR Menu Sample

NEW -
Blade Runner: The Broadcast Version
OldBiff85 VHS transfer and Angrysvn DVD authoring
Running Time: 1 hr 54 min 24 sec

This is the original version as edited for it's broadcast television premiere in 1986, this DVD features a very clean VHS transfer sourced from a 3rd generation copy of the original ABC broadcast.

*Features rare narrator reading aloud the opening crawl
*All profanity removed by trimming dialogue.
*All nudity removed.

- Angrysvn Release BLAX28
- 1 DVDr
- Fan Preservation
- Source: Home recorded VHS of OTA Broadcast
- Fullscreen

Tech Specs
- 4.07gigs
- Video: 4-4.80 Mbps (average bitrate)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 Kbps)
- DVD-Rom

MENU SAMPLE of BR - Broadcast Version
Word to the Spookies...
<<

stbrnd

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:52 pm

I would love to see the International Cut on a DVD with a decent quality transfer. Bring on the Torrent. I guess it will be another week of leaving my computer on at the office!! :D

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut