FAQ  •  Login

Prequels, remakes and sequels...

<<

Ashkant

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:57 am

There are many topics related to prequels, remakes and sequels and most of the BR fans have stated that it would not work. Some say that it's impossible to replace the original cast, some say that BR universe should not be revisited. As BR fans we should demand a new movie! I don't care that it's a prequel or a sequel or even a remake. I've seen the movie over and over again, I love it but I'm tired of seeing the same scenes. I bet that those who say that it would not work would be the first to see the new movie.
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:01 pm

i got your BR right here i can tell you that there is another BR movie in the making right now its a BR moive made by fans so ts gonna be done right least ways i hope so you wont see Deck stalking the microchip jungles of LA as the story is based on the computer game charecters but its gonna be good leastways from a story POV :wink:

and its not like that silly indie film BR2: replicants within but anyways it should be out around this time next year so you have that to look forward to
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

gordo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:30 pm

It's often reported that the movie "Soldier" with Kurt Russel was written as a sort of a sequel to Blade Runner (it takes place within the same universe) by David Peeples (Blade Runner).
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Though I cringe at the idea os someone (other that maybe Ridley) attempting to make a sequel. I would love to see more of the world envisioned by it. that is why I think I enjoyed the TV series "Total Recall 2040"....I prefer they leave the story alone and just work a parallel story in. I think we all have some feelings toward this direction because we all seem so hungry for the unseen footage from the workprint . Even if you are dead set against a sequel you want to see "more"..that is all I would expect from a sequel...a new story in the same universe(with similar "style" not hollywood like "Soldier")....you wouldn't even need PKDs estate to sign off on it...Got Dystopian Dark Future City????
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:53 am

Tired of wayching the same scenes of BR all over again? ...I feel sorry for you. Then Don't watch it so often, maybe that'll help.

Star Trek is a good place to find "new" stuff on a regular basis by fan demand. Or go watch Matrix Revolutions, and you'll see how "fresh" and "unique" those "new" things become when turned into franchises for the sole purpose of profit.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:02 am

how 'bout an 'equal' lol. www.titanpitcures.com
that's all im gonna say. its in the works, expect a teaser shortly.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:03 am

how 'bout an 'equal' lol. www.titanpitcures.com
that's all im gonna say. its in the works, expect a teaser shortly.
<<

mike81859

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:51 am

I think a prequal would be good...with Holden as the main character. Bring back Bryant and have Gaff as a uniformed policeman, before he was made a BR.

mike81859
Thank you Blade Zone!
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:59 pm

The recent forum topics regarding changing or deleing scenes (unicorn scene(s)), and re-makes and sequals stirred some thoughts amongst the "kipple" in my mind.

I touched on a remake of BR in another topic. I'd like to ponder on that for for a moment and attempt to briefly share with you what I had in mind (it won't be easy! lol).

In my mind...the remake wouldn't happen in our lifetime. This project would be undertaken by someone with a vision (not too unlike Ridley). Using a language that surpasses our current comprehension. Shinning a new and different light and perspective to empathy...more defined. A time when being "more human than human" may have a new meaning or set of connotations to it...or even paradoxical. It would not be a "movie" in the context which we now know it as. It may have the capabilities of being a more unique, distinct, and "personalized" experience. Perhaps experienced in three dimensions, with the shadows of the fourth.

Perhaps, too, the story-line may be altered or changed to put the "future" into its' much needed (by then) perspective. More accurate and realistic for its' time. Maybe the book will influence the script to give it more of a "authentic" flavour to it. I don't know how our future decendants will think...but I would imagne they may feel obligatory to all aspects of this BR phenomenon.

Who's to truely say?

Cheers!
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:41 am

Tired of seeing the same old scenes ... Jeez! Is that all BR means to you? If a sequel has the word Blade Runner in it, do you think that it automatically will reach the same level as the original? While your at it, why not have a BR the TV series. That way you'll have new material each week! Or better yet, BR as a daily soap.

No thank you, no sequel, no remake, no nothing.

I tell you what the world really needs and it's something much more interesting. It needs another SF movie. A completely new concept. A movie that will cause the same commotion as 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner once did. The movie world needs a new SF classic! Something that will baffle us all over again, if that's even possible.
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:33 pm

Personally, I don't consider Star Wars as true Sci-Fi, but I agree with your sentiments. Sci-Fi will continue to be written 'cos, generally speaking, new scientific discoveries continue to raise moral/ethical issues that only good sci-fi can properly explore.

The real problem is the 'dumbing down' of good sci-fi into action block-busters that will appeal to the mainstream. Okay, Blade Runner wasn't exactly DADOES but at least Ridley didn't patronise the audience (Harrison's VO excepted).
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:51 pm

I tell you what the world really needs and it's something much more interesting. It needs another SF movie. A completely new concept. A movie that will cause the same commotion as 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner once did. The movie world needs a new SF classic! Something that will baffle us all over again, if that's even possible.

i think I, robot was a failed attempt at this. i, robot was a good movie, 4/5 stars on my list, but i think Fox really expected more from it, a reaction similar to blade runner, but it didnt get it.
Last edited by THX1138 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

zoomer_one

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:25 pm

We did have one already....it was called The Matrix. Then it got lame as the sequels ruined the whole thing. As much as I am lothed to even dream of it happening....I'd love to see a new version of The Day The Earth Stood Still. If done right...and not so MINDLESS as they made I, Robot to be...it could be a very modern SF flick that could work today.
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:53 pm

i just watched the day the earth stood still last night and was reminded of this forum post, and i realized something. i totally loathe and hate remakes unless they have a purpose. like the day the earth stood still is good on its own, the only improvements i can think can be made would be to colorize it, and even then you dont need a remake. its fin b&W. also, movies like willy wonka and the chocolate factory being remade. that's jsut BS, why remake that? its a classic and its perfect on its own.

unless you have something to add that is meaningful in a remake, why even do it at all just because a movie is a little dated?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:21 am

zoomer_one wrote:We did have one already....it was called The Matrix. Then it got lame as the sequels ruined the whole thing.

Maybe. My first reaction would be "yes", but when thinking about what made the previous ones (2001, Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner and even Gattaca) so special, I'm suddenly not altogether sure if The Matrix fits the bill. The martial arts fighting was so important that it might overshadow other elements in that movie. Could it be that The Matrix is a good action film but nothing more? I wonder...
Leon Corporation Employee
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel