FAQ  •  Login

RUMOUR: Special Edition DVD back in action...

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:10 am

RUMOUR: Special Edition DVD back in action...

Hi guys,

I realize this is just in the rumour stage at the moment, but check out this news item:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0721

The news is good and bad, but I should say that, from what I've seen, The Digital Bits have been dead on right with every 'rumour' I've seen them report thus far...
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 am

only the DC version, on the edge of blade runner documentary, and a few other bits. i guess we'd better be grateful we're even getting a special edition at all. "The bad news is that instead of the 3 or 4-disc ultimate edition we all hoped for (featuring all the different versions of the film), the title is now likely to be one of the studio's 2-disc editions, featuring only the recent "director's cut" version of the film (remastered from a new HD transfer), the Channel 4 On the Edge of Blade Runner documentary and perhaps a few other odds and ends."

i hope we can at LEAST bet an audio commentary by ridley scott and the other major crew memebers

do you think the petition had anything to do with it?

OH! idea, maybe WB is in it for the money (like carolco with the T2 dvds). maybe there will be a "blade runner unlimited" or "blade runner ultra edition" with 4 discs. maybe, for now, its just the special edition to rake in some money. then, in the near future, another 3 disc edition will be release, and rake in even more money. just like they T2 dvds. T2 ultimate edition and T2 Extreme.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:20 pm

That is bad news - I might not buy it if there's no ultimate edition. What a wasted opportunity...
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:32 pm

really, it is a waste. but when its all about money, there's no way they can make money by packaging everything in one box. they have to spread it out. its sad, but true. its all about money (money AKA greed)
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:24 am

Nevertheless, this is great news (or a terrible rumor), for it means that Perenchio's boycot has ended and that from now on everything is possible.
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

citizenchris099

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:55 am

I havnt seen "On the edge of Blade Runner" yet so it will be good for that reason...also a good transfer of the D.C. would be nice right guys?
It sux that it isnt the one we've been waiting for. I'm afraid BR is sorta like Star Wars in that the fans will prolly buy anything w/BR on the cover...right?
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:17 am

Yeah, I know I'll buy it, whatever it ends up being. One can only hope that, as suggested, if it sells well we'll all be treated to that Ultimate Edition in, say, 2007 or so :roll:.

I think, of anyone, Ridley Scott would really understand the importance of having the original out there (not to mention his true Director's Cut, fer cryin' out loud! :evil: ). It must be a question of Warner not letting him in the door! :(

(Mind you, the way Ridley strangely re-colourized that one scene in ALIEN makes me question his motives a little...)
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:05 pm

As much as I would like a quality DVD transfer, they can kiss my ass if they think I am going to shell out my hard earned dollars for the same flocking thing I have now plus a couple add ons. This fanbase has been patiently waiting for a DVD that was promised to be amazing and packed to the gills with everything a BR fan could want.

Ill probably rent this theoretical disc but will certainly not buy it.
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:54 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:...also a good transfer of the D.C. would be nice right guys?

That's good enough a reason for me. BR was one of the first DVDs I had bought, but all this time its lousy image quality prevented me from watching it. The original DVD was a waste of money. A shame and digrace to the movie. To be able to see Blade Runner with a pristine transfer should be number 1 on everyone's priority list.
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:03 am

I'm with Leon on this one. I'd be pretty happy with BR on DVD with say... picture remastered in HD and 5.1 sound. (DTS would be a nice compliment to Vangelis etc.*hint*)
ImageImageImage

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut