Deathmatch

Moderator: BR796164

<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:37 am

Deathmatch

Anyone interested in setting up a Blade Runners versus Reps deathmatch tournament?

I haven't played any first-person-shooters on the PC for ages and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about which of the current (or past) game engines could be modified to allow us to make a Blade Runner arena.

I've already seen some Blade Runner levels made for various game engines and thought it might be cool to see if we could use them.

Anyone had any experience of these sort of things?
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:07 am

I used to do some minor levels things in Dark Engine (Thief 1,2, System Shock 2) but the editing is more difficult than in UnrealEd for example. And I was kidding with UnrealEd only few times.
But I don't think Dark Engine would be suitable for BR deathmatch - it is outlived and the gameplay is focused on singleplayer experience.

I think good idea would be SDK (modified UnrealEd) for Deus Ex. Textures and objects look very good (city houses, neon advertisements, desks, medical equipment, computers....). Some models have long coats... few aesthetic improvements to the models and you have a true Blade Runner.

But modding community for Deus ex is rather small, nor the multiplayer was too popular. There are necessary RPG elements in the game and object usage.

And thinking about it further... skilled and dedicated people with plenty of spare time would be able to make whole new SINGLEPLAYER BLADE RUNNER GAME in SDK.

THX1138, Centauro, you like Deus Ex. What's your opinion?
<<

THX1138

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:58 am

that was actually the whole point of my blade runner game i was making. i was going to take either the quake 3 engine or deus ex engine and make a blade runner mod for it, creating a copmlete new blade runner game in a FPS style.

there's a whole section devoted to this here:
http://www.bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:42 am

As we have seen in the recent past with two projects of writing a story in the BR universe with input from the habituals of these forums, if there is not a solid ground concept and north, the thing always fades away.

I once posted an idea in the old old old BladeZone forums (no, not those, the previous ones ;)) about creating a LA2019 environment in Quake 2 (colored lighting was the novelty back then and it was perfect for neon lights), just to meet there and chat in a "proper" place, no game or competition. Well, it was very naive, but I had this picture in my mind of loading the map, walking down a 4th Sector street and entering in a Taffey's-like bar, just to see the avatars of Gerry and "Harry Bryant" (Aaron) among others and join them for a little conversation. Of course, it never happened... I mean, we've never had even an all-members chat! And if it was scheduled, the sad thing is I probably could not come, because -besides Time Zones- as I've stated someplace else, I have very little money and I use a pre-pay card ISP service of 20 hours, so I have to ration my internet time to make it last a whole month, and that's the reason why I never chat or play online games... it would eat "a week" of the time in one day :cry:

Back to the game mod, I don't think that a find'em-n-shoot'em gameplay fits into Blade Runner. On the other hand, a gameplay system that encompasses the RPG elements necesary to make the game really BR-like, may be too hard to implement for multiplayer. So, as I see it, the options are: a) a plain team FPS a la CounterStrike with Reps vs BladeRunners, or b) a single player game a la DeusEx. The team match is of course much more easy to create, but, would it feel like BR? I doubt it. And then, there is no sense in dedicating a lot of effort to create the mod, if there are going to be just two guys around in the server.

The RPG singleplayer is a lot harder, but it would yield more satisfaction in the end. I've done bits of map editing in Qoole (that is, a map of my house) and a never finished model in Milkshape (that is, a model of my head :)), so my skills are very undeveloped at this moment, but my system specs are high end... for an early 1997 machine. So I haven't been able to check out the UT2004 LA2019 map neither. I think Deus Ex has the right atmosphere for sure, even with the lack of features that newer engines have. Looking at the modding community for DX (Zodiac, Cassandra) I can say that if a project of singleplayer BR Mod is started, all the people involved must know it will be a long (and I mean long) term commitment, and, first of all, IMO, involving BR it must have a very, very good backbone story, or not exist at all.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

THX1138

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:00 am

if you ever want to setup an online deathmatch in DeusEx, i wont be able to for a few months, as i'm moving again. but onc i do, im getting cable internet, so it'll be faster. you can AIM me at DAChristen1138 after i move if you ever want to play online.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:46 am

Actually, the 'meeting place' idea was my original intention - there are 3D engines specifically designed to implement virtual chat rooms where users can wonder around virtual locations and chat to an avatar.

But would anyone be interested in using such a service? The technical requirements might put people off.
Richard Gunn

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:01 am

by technical requirements, im assuming you mean system requirements, and yes, i HATE high-end games that say need a minimum of 800 Mhz, 256 MB RAM and 8 MB gfx to play, but recommended you have 1Ghz, 512 MB RAM, and 32 MB gfx card. and then i get a machine with 2.2 Ghz, 768 MB ram, 64 MB gfx card, and the thing's slow as crap. i tend to stick with the low-end games, like deus ex and quake 3.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:35 pm

Hey, I'm only just getting into Half-life - that game is relatively old and my 2.0 GHz laptop just about runs it satisfactorily...
Richard Gunn

<<

BR796164

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:24 am

If you people like more complex FPS's, I'd recommend you System Shock 2. It came out in late '99 as a sequel to the cyberpunk classic System Shock from '94.

Graphics is not the top of the top, even according to '99 standards, but its magic lies in incredible, immersive, spooky atmosphere. It is quite short (about 16-18 hours for experienced player), but it combines some RPG elements and character development which make the game quite replayable.
It's a very good successor of the original SShock and now it's a classic itself. Shock 2 is also an "ideologic ancestor" of Deus Ex, regarding the style of gameplay and the fusion of RPG elements with 1st person action (some people who worked on SS2 worked also on Deus Ex).

Another game which influenced both Deus Ex and Shock2 is Thief, but that's another story.
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:49 am

Damn, you guys need to get with the program! Im all about Farcry and UT2k4 these days :wink:
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:52 am

Hey, we're bunch of nostalgics!
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:06 am

Damn, you guys need to get with the program! Im all about Farcry and UT2k4 these days

Yeah and what spec machine do you need to run those?
Richard Gunn

<<

BR796164

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:24 am

Far Cry demands one gig of RAM, ideally.

The world is getting insane... :evil:

"640 kb of operational memory should be enough for everyone."?
~Bill Gates, 1981
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:15 am

Damn, you guys need to get with the program! Im all about Farcry and UT2k4 these days

im happy with the older games, like SYSTEM SHOCK 2 (awsome game) and even starcraft. im looking forward to getting UT2k4 for linux though (linux port is included with the windows version). maybe ill play you online sometime. i don care much about graphics, as i have an xbox for those kind of games. its the fun of the game.
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:41 am

Well my machine is an AMD 2800+ with 1GB of DDR RAM and a GeForce FX5600 video card. I built it up last year and everything (sound system, monitor, etc etc etc) came to about a grand. Was a great deal at the time now Im sure its worth about half that.

But it runs UT2k4 great, only farcry gets a little choppy in places. Damn constantly advancing technology!
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Game