FAQ  •  Login

no more westwood!?

Moderator: BR796164

<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:13 pm

no more westwood!?

guys, look at www.westwood.com and tell me what you see.

i see nothing but C&C stuff, and nothing westwood...its all EA now.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:39 pm

is anyone saddened by this? this mean DEFiNITELY no more blade runner 2 game...which im kinda glad if they didnt make one. but no who owns www.bladerunner.com? or www.blade-runner.com?
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 am

www.register.com says that www.bladerunner.com is owned by
Electronic Arts, Redwood City, CA, USA. Record was created on Nov 6. 1997 (by Westwood, I suppose) and expires on Nov 5. 2004 (don't worry, the EA pays for another X years ahead, I think). The same goes for
www.blade-runner.com .

Well, all right to former Westwood games belong to EA now. Two Iears back IIRC I saw a re-edition of the BR game in stores, with EA logo on the box. It's entirely on the decision of them if they ever decide to make a sequel. But I doubt it seriously - Blade Runner stuff is interesting only to certain "unprofitable minority".
<<

NEXUS ?

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:44 am

I think EA sucks,, first they take over Westwood & now they are keeping the web address aswell. :evil:

Command & Conquer? Please,what a stupid game.
"More Human Than Human"
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:54 pm

EA, IMHO, is good, but its slacking a bit. C&C was kinda a dumb game, although it can be fun if you dont think of it realisticaly. i have a C&C game, but never played it. off the top of my head, i cant think of any good games they've made off the top of my head. for some reason, flight simulators come to my mind. maybe they made a few of those and i cant remember what i played (all sims i've played are good, not one crappy one).
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:59 am

i have to take back what i said. EA SUCKS!!!
<<

NEXUS ?

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:26 pm

Nice THX1138,you've finally chose the right opinion.
We all know Westwood was Exellent,but now , unfortunatley, they've sunk lower than where the Titanic is lying! :evil:
"More Human Than Human"
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:39 am

C'mon now, do you have any SERIOUS reason why EA sucks?

Takeovers of smaller corporations happen almost every week not just in the gaming business. Even if the Westwood was still alive, I doubt they would make a sequel to the BR game - it just wasn't selling too well, it's a classic adventure for a minority of gamers (they must be interested in classic adventures AND Blade Runner - the potential market size is very limited that way).
Moreover every game looses official support sooner or later. How many of 6 years old games are still oficially supported? Well, perhaps only the biggest, most succesful series and some rare examples.

We all have an option to rant but at least the EA deserve some credit for their decision to re-release the game for people who have't had the chance to buy it earlier.
<<

NEXUS ?

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:53 am

Alright... Maybe I was being a bit hard on them. But not by much.
Just because small corporation take-overs happen all the time doesn't mean we have to like them,does it?
"More Human Than Human"
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:20 am

We all have an option to rant but at least the EA deserve some credit for their decision to re-release the game for people who have't had the chance to buy it earlier.

Lol, something stumbled to my head.
a while back you could get the game for 15 euro, i thought of buying the game again to have a backup copy :D
but i haven't did that, perhaps i will do it when ever it will be released again.
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:37 am

BR791: "Waterthread.org has picked up the following on the studio that brought us the popular Ultima and Wing Commander series: 'Game company Electronic Arts is expected to tell its Austin employees this week that the company will be shutting down Origin Systems, its Austin operations, according to sources. Employees will be offered an opportunity to relocate to California or accept a severance package. Company officials could not be reached for comment. Austin is the #3 location in the U.S. for game development with more than 50 companies making major contributions to the game industry, including game development, publishing, tools and middleware and chips and hardware." The Wing Commander CIC has also posted a epitaph for Origin."

i LOVE to play ultima online, but it seems now its going down the drain because of EA. in case you dont know, UO is a massive multiplayer online game. it's been around since 1990, and now i guess it's going bye-bye.

another reason EA sucks: since they dont seem to care about bladerunner.com, why not release it to the public to buy? they dont care about the game anymore, so why retain the name? i havent seen the BR game in stores in a long time. maybe they are right for trying to makea little money off the game, but they still dont host the bladerunner.com/.net/.org website. i'd like to have an ebay auction for www.bladerunner.com / .org / .net, see how much money it makes.
<<

alz

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:53 am

EA is the Microsoft of game publishing. Most game devs get under $10 mil to make a game. EA dumps on $15 mil easily and cranks it out. They also ship in striketeams to quickly pick up the slack if there's any. And of course there's some half-a-dozen number of 'producers' on each project huffing up hot air.

They were really hoping Catwoman would spin them off into another cool franchise... but alas, it looks like it's going to be DOA. And there's no more LOTR to milk, so they'll have to buckle under. (Not that they have to worry... they're so freakin' huge with sport sales alone)

:P
<<

Patryk Wawer

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:30 am

another reason EA sucks: since they dont seem to care about bladerunner.com, why not release it to the public to buy? they dont care about the game anymore, so why retain the name? i havent seen the BR game in stores in a long time. maybe they are right for trying to makea little money off the game, but they still dont host the bladerunner.com/.net/.org website. i'd like to have an ebay auction for www.bladerunner.com / .org / .net, see how much money it makes.

a look at
http://www.directnic.com/whois/index.php
shall show you who is the registrer.

Registrant:
ELECTRONIC ARTS (ZRZCNVUTOD)
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
REDWOOD CITY, CA 94065
US

Domain Name: BLADERUNNER.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
ELECTRONIC ARTS (S4684-OR) hostmaster2@ea.com
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
REDWOOD CITY, CA 94065
US
650 628 7618 fax: 650 628 1331

Record expires on 05-Nov-2004.
Record created on 06-Nov-1997.
Database last updated on 6-Jun-2004 05:19:17 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

SWDNS.EA.COM 159.153.197.89
SEDNS.EA.COM 159.153.229.89
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:45 pm

i saw all that already. it looks like it has changed a little since i last viewed it about the same time i started this thread.

anyone interestes in talking with EA to buy this domain?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton

Return to The Blade Runner Game