FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner SE Article in New York Times Online!!!!!

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

dugpa

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:40 am

Blade Runner SE Article in New York Times Online!!!!!

Found this in the New Yoprk Times online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/movies/14FRED.html?8hpib

The avidly awaited, definitive version of Ridley Scott's science-fiction classic, "Blade Runner," won't be out on DVD anytime soon for stranger reasons. When "Blade Runner" was being shot in the early 1980's, Bud Yorkin, a veteran television comedy producer, and Jerry Perenchio, now the C.E.O. of Univision, were the film's bond-completion guarantors. When the film went over budget, by contract they assumed ownership of the film. Paul Sammon wrote in his book "Future Noir: The Making of `Blade Runner' " that they hated the film, had bitter disputes with Mr. Scott and tried to take it away from him altogether.

The studio release, in 1982, contained superfluous narration and a tacked-on rosy ending. Mr. Scott removed both when he was allowed to make a "director's cut" in 1992, but it was, by his own account, a rush job.

Three years ago, Mr. Scott announced that he was working on a three-disc box set, which would offer all the versions of the film, including a new and polished director's cut with previously unseen footage and scads of bonus features. Then, at the end of 2001, Warner Brothers, which was planning to distribute the discs, pulled the plug. It did so, according to a producer who worked on the project, because Mr. Perenchio gave no sign that he would let them be released.

>>>

Perhaps we should start writing in to Univision. Here is some contact info:

Univision Communications Inc
1999 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 3050
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Phone: (310) 556-7676
Fax: (310) 556-3568
Web Site: http://www.univision.com/

-B
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:49 am

Interesting, though not very appealing news.
What's wrong with Perenchio guy?

Perhaps we really should start a petition to WB. Is anybody up for?
<<

THX1138

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:57 am

im up for a petition. maybe Rob Zombie will also sign, lol. seriously.

so does this mean there is not going to be a special edition, or it's been created and finished, but its not going to be released ever because of strange reasons?
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:02 pm

Re: Blade Runner SE Article in New York Times Online!!!!!

That link seems to be bad. Looks like a spanish version of MSN now.

I'll sign a damn petition. I'll drive up to Jerry's office and give him what for!! :)

My impression is, it's a personal thing for him because he hates Ridley Scott, and hates the film.
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:03 pm

i call for a petition.

what do you mean its a personal thing. you mean he knows ridley scott? actually, couldnt that get him fired, just for it being a personal thing?
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:22 pm

THX1138 wrote:i call for a petition.

what do you mean its a personal thing. you mean he knows ridley scott? actually, couldnt that get him fired, just for it being a personal thing?

Everything I have read about the film says Jerry Perinchio (spelling?) currently (and still) controls the rights to the film, or enough of the rights to the film that he is the road block. He is the perosn keeping it from our DVD players.

I had read somewhere online as well that the studio (warners) is waiting to buy him out, or waiting for his rights to lapse or something so they can gain total control of the property.

He was part of the completion bond situation the film faced, and he was the one who "fired" Ridley Scott. Only Ridley Scott just kept on working.

I don't remember the whole story, I read about it in Future Noir, and a second book about Ridley Scott's films.

I don't think a petition would be enough, we may have to contact Jerry in person somehow, and present him with the petition after we get a gazillion signatures on it! :)

Anyone else got any ideas??
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:23 pm

oops, double post!
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:34 pm

there's another posting about Rob Zombie liking blade runner. i think, if we do present a petition, he should be the first name in order to make an impression on him. the impression that "its not just a sci-fi movie for fans, its a movie that has a political and emotional impact on EVERYONE, not just low-level sci-fi nerds." i think we should get paul sammon to sign it, and ridley scott himself. i may be asking a bit much, but im sure it can be done, and it may just require measures like this to get a reaction from him.

(just joking here) or we could all of us on bladezone get together, meet in new york somewhere, get some baseball bats and go "meet" him personally for a "ball game".

lol, just kidding guys, im not that violent. but i do get angry, especially when its about something ive been waiting for since i joined this forum. i guess its just a matter of time.
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:38 pm

THX1138 wrote:there's another posting about Rob Zombie liking blade runner. i think, if we do present a petition, he should be the first name in order to make an impression on him. the impression that "its not just a sci-fi movie for fans, its a movie that has a political and emotional impact on EVERYONE, not just low-level sci-fi nerds." i think we should get paul sammon to sign it, and ridley scott himself. i may be asking a bit much, but im sure it can be done, and it may just require measures like this to get a reaction from him.

(just joking here) or we could all of us on bladezone get together, meet in new york somewhere, get some baseball bats and go "meet" him personally for a "ball game".

lol, just kidding guys, im not that violent. but i do get angry, especially when its about something ive been waiting for since i joined this forum. i guess its just a matter of time.

Lets make an impression ON HIS SKULL! :)

I think if we could get Warner Brothers involved we would be gold. I can start the campaign right here in tampa, I know people who work at TV stations, and newpapers, and radio stations.

We could make some noise. We may be able to get noticed. Lets do it!!

I know that if Rob Zombie heard about it, he'd sign it. I'll talk to my buddy who works for Cox radio, and see if can get in touch with a rep.

I think any of the big names who heard about it would sign this petition.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:43 pm

I'm always the last to find out about these things...

...is anybody here subscribed to the Bladezone newsletter? I'm just wondering if I can drum up some enthusiasm for it - I rarely send one out now 'cos I get the impression nobody reads it. Oh well.
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:46 pm

You know, I signed up for it. If you sent me a newsletter, I would read it. :)

I'm continuing to put the word out. It's going to tale some serious dedictation, because I have discovered most of the news folks in town don't give a rip about a movie they see as OLD news.

But I'll keep grinding at the stone, and eventually someone will listen!!

Noeland
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:50 pm

I was just surfing around at the univision site, and they have a John Perenchio there, not JERRY. I don't know any John's who go by Jerry, or any jerry's who go by John. Could there be a mistake here?
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:54 pm

Guess not, read this:

WHAT'S THE SECRET OF SUCCESS, ACCORDING TO TV MOGUL JERRY PERENCHIO? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

WHEN YOU STROLL down the midway, eating a funnel cake and sucking in the ocean breezes on a Labor Day afternoon at the Malibu Kiwanis Chili Cook-Off Fair & Carnival, Malibu (population 13,300) still feels like a seaside village. For 19 years the club's big fall fund-raiser has been the place where your kids can run around, you can buy a raffle ticket from a cheerleader, and you bump into people you see only once or twice a year. The Chili Cook-Off is where townies and weekenders and summer people reaffirm their sense of community.

The other 362 days a year the Chili Cook-Off parcel, as it's called in a 1999 real estate appraisal, is about 20 acres of ryegrass and prairie dogs, a filled wetland next to the Pacific Coast Highway between the Malibu civic center and Malibu Creek. That property and a 9.3-acre adjoining parcel are owned by Jerrold Perenchio. If a development agreement working its way through Malibu City Hall is approved, Perenchio and several owners of smaller neighboring properties will have the right to build more than a million square feet of "rustic/rural" office buildings, parking lots, a hotel, and a shopping center. Perenchio's Malibu civic center landholdings, most recently assessed at about $21 million, could triple in value.

That would be a nice payday for most of us, but for Jerry Perenchio it's just another drop in the bucket. After nearly 50 years as an agent, producer, studio owner, and even boxing promoter, the 70-year-old Perenchio is one of the most powerful and private moguls in Los Angeles. He was listed last year in the Forbes 400 as the 83rd richest person in America, with an estimated worth of $3.1 billion. Although Perenchio doesn't speak Spanish, he is chairman of the board, CEO, and principal stockholder of Univision, the Century City-based Spanish-language television network. Univision's 19 owned-and-operated stations, 33 affiliates, and Galavision cable network reach more than 92 percent of the nation's Hispanic households. Noticias 34, the evening news on Univision's local station, KMEX-TV, is watched by more people in Los Angeles than any other news program--English or Spanish. "Univision is already the dominant force in Spanish-language popular culture in this country," says David Diaz, assistant professor of urban and Chicano studies at Cal State Northridge. "And it is very likely to become the dominant force in Spanish-language politics as well. In the future, no candidate will be able to avoid going on Univision when looking for votes."

But for all his power and riches, Jerry Perenchio is unknown to most people. David Geffen likes to see his name on things--the Geffen Contemporary, the Geffen Playhouse. Perenchio raised $80 million for the new medical center at UCLA but enthusiastically supported naming the building after his old friend and neighbor Ronald Reagan. Perenchio's name almost never shows up on lists of L.A. patrons and benefactors, but, says a well-connected L.A. fund-raiser, "he always gives twice what he's asked."

Interesting.
<<

kane2026

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:41 pm

How much do you think the licence that he's got is worth, a million??? i doubt it much more since the movie barely made a profit. of course this guy mister P could make some nice pocket money with the dvd.

Another question about the licence, who ownes the rights to make a bladerunner game. A westwood game was released back in 1997 but westwood was bought and renamed EA pacific. Is there such a licence or does one ask for permission to produce a game with the licence.

Im asking this because i think another blade runnner game would be great (no doubt a difficult task to perform). A producer of a game wouldnt even need to start from scratch since the new resident evil 4 engine is very similar to dark and small rooms found in the movie.

OK ok, that last bit has nothing to with the subject but it got me started and its an issue of licence.

:shock:
<<

Eli Booker

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:05 pm

I have to wonder why someone hasn't bought him out. It seems like a personal thing, like he won't sell the rights because he doesn't need to, and he WANTS to see the film fail into obscurity. Which it almost has, ask anyone under 25, and most of them haven't heard of it.
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut