FAQ  •  Login

Deckard - Human or Replicant - the forum's verdict?

<<

raymccoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:53 pm

Im going with human because having a replicant hunt replicants is just not right. Why would the police need a rep to hunt a rep? They would be contradicting themselves. I just cant get past the LAPD hiring a rep. Dont they take a Voight-Kampf when they hire him?
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:35 am

raymccoy, it's useless. The fake memories argument is a heavy ammunition for DaR-ers. Using it, they can explain everything. :(

(Even though the false memories are Rachael-only experimenmtal feature at that time, they don't mind.):twisted:
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:48 am

BR796164 wrote:Even though the false memories are Rachael-only experimenmtal feature at that time, they don't mind

Where did you get that little 'fact' from?
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:01 am

T-T-T-Tyrell! Big boss... he knows everything! :wink:
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:49 pm

Yeah, right - Tyrell, he's reliable (not).

Some have suggested that Tyrell used JF's DNA to extract the genetic code for 'accelerated decrepitude' to go into the Nexus 6 reps - what a nice guy.

In the book he and Rachel tried to trick Deck into wrongly identifying a human as a Rep. You can't believe a word he says...

...after all, if you like the Deck-is-a-Rep idea then Tyrell would almost certainly have been in on it. :D

Also, I don't remember Tyrell specifically saying Rachael was the only replicant experiment currently being tested...

...perhaps he thought better of it than to mention the new 'Rep-hunter' model. 8)

Ever heard of a hunter-killer virus? Send a virus to kill a virus. Why not send a Rep to kill a Rep? No emotional barriers. Keeps going until the job is done. :wink:
Richard Gunn

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

BR796164

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:30 am

If Deckard from DADOES is not necessarily the same Deckard in the movie, then what about Tyrell?
Especially when there is NO "Tyrell" in DADOES. :wink:

But Deckard HAS emotional barriers. He has problems with killing female reps and he has quit the job. Would LAPD allow a rep hunter to quit his job and go live his own life? I doubt so.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:04 am

Nope - if Deckard was Rep then "quitting the job" could just be implanted memories...
Richard Gunn

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:49 pm

One theory I heard that made sense in the "deck a rep" camp is that he was created just before we meet up with him specifically to chase down the nexus 6...that would mean he is a later model than Racheal, and therefore quite possibly with implanted memories. That would also explain his non-exhistant family with family photos that are obviously antique. One person also mentioned that deckard's apartment was actually Holden's.

Also there was a "Tyrell" in DADoES...he was named Elden Rosen though, as was Racheal named Rosen.

I prefer to think of him as a human specifically because of the Irony that he seem so "fake". That was PKD's hidden message in a lot of his books that society (or in Deckard's case his police "assasin" work) "dehuminizes" us to the degree that we are mere "machines" that could one day be less human than artificial life forms. You take that away and you lose some of the really "deep" Impact in exchange for a cheap plot twist. BR also works best when it stays as an unanswered enigma forcing us to question our own humanity and debate endlessly for decades on whether he is or isn't. BR probably wouldn't be so intriguing today if that question were answered obviously.
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:22 pm

Yeah - I myself have said a lot of that before - both sides of the argument are perfectly valid, I just get the urge to jump back into the discussion from time to time :)
Richard Gunn

<<

BR796164

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:37 am

Deckard BR26354 wrote:Nope - if Deckard was Rep then "quitting the job" could just be implanted memories...

Aahh, as I suspected... :lol:

Either way, he was "out of duty", a skin-job walking the streets. Ilegally.
On Bryant's responsibility. Kool.
<<

INDULGEME

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:46 am

DECKARD HUMAN OR NOT.

HAVING ONLY RECENTLY FOUND THIS SITE I FOUND THE ABOVE QUESTION WORTHY OF SOME RESEARCH. WHERE BETTER PLACE TO START THAN THE BOOK `DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP.
DECKARD IS CHALLENGED ABOUT WHETHER HE IS HUMAN OR NOT.
HE EVEN TAKES AN EMPATHY TEST WHICH APPEARS TO PROVE HE IS ACTUALLY HUMAN. I FOUND THE BOOK A VERY GOOD READ AND WOULD RECOMMEND ANY BLADE RUNNER FAN TO READ IT.
IT'S ALL FALLING INTO PLACE
<<

frankrizzo55555

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:37 pm

I guess I would have to say that deckard in my opinion is definately human. If not for the simple fact that he is inferior in every aspect to the replicants except for shelf life. He is weaker, slower and the list goes on. Now he could be made that way right. Or just programmed if he is a replicant. But then there is no way to prove that anyone is human or replicant until they die. So with that said I guess we should just take it as is was meant to be. The creater intended viewers to percieve him as human. I think that the movie loses some of its luster when you get lost in mundane details
<<

MALCOLM XERXES?

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:57 pm

RICK DECKARD Is Human

RICK DECKARD is human, just as MR. PHILIP KINDRED DICK intended him to be.
"...Be seeing you!"
MALCOLM XERXES Stuntman/Actor FINNEGAN?S SQUAD?
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:52 am

Ridley Scott, the one who actually filmed Blade Runner, was human, and prefered to look at Deckard as human, too, but planted those little seeds of ambiguity just for the fun of it. Then, at some point he was replaced by an exact Replicant, who cheers for its kindred and years after said that Deckard was a Replicant from the start. While the whereabouts of the real Mr. Scott remain unknown, we just have the Replicant Ridley's word about what were *his* intentions back in 1982.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

sir kris

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:49 pm

Hey wouldn't Tyrell know if Dekard was a replicant or not? I mean wouldn't he have been 'manufactured' by the Tyrell Corp if he were? (or are there many companies that manufacture replicants?) There is nothing to suggest that Tyrell himself knows any secrets about Dekard's true nature. I think despite all the clues suggesting otherwise Dekard is human, so I think the vote now is:
Replicant 21
Human 26
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
PreviousNext

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?