FAQ  •  Login

Next Dick film

<<

katdesign

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:55 pm

I think Paul Verhoeven often doesn't get the credit he deserves. Starship Troopers is actually a pretty layered movie, and all the blood 'n' gore really serves a purpose. I don't see Stephen Spielberg pulling off Starship Troopers without turning it into some sort of mushy close encounters remake.
But he wouldn't be the guy to make a PKD movie, if you ask me. Total Recall would be my Exhibit A. Regardless of whether Paul Verhoeven has the emotional maturity of a 13-year old, which is anyone's guess, his body of work just not reflects a Philip K. Dick like state of mind.
Ridley Scott would be the obvious, but easy, choice. Personally, i'd like some young up and coming talent to do a Philip K. Dick movie. I think a young and refreshing creative and low-budget approach could really bring out the subtlety and surreal quality of PKD's work.
he say you brade runner
<<

Equinox21

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:31 am

katdesign wrote:I think Paul Verhoeven often doesn't get the credit he deserves. Starship Troopers is actually a pretty layered movie, and all the blood 'n' gore really serves a purpose. I don't see Stephen Spielberg pulling off Starship Troopers without turning it into some sort of mushy close encounters remake.

Verhoeven's take on Starship Troopers was an absolute abomination. It had NOTHIGN to do with the book, he turned Starship Troopers from a philosophical book about war and what it means to be a soldier and turned it into a retarded movie about teenagers killing bugs and trying to have sex. It was an AWFUL movie. The only thing it shared with the book was the character names.
<<

katdesign

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:12 am

If you think Starship Troopers (the movie) is about teenagers killing bugs and trying to have sex, you just don't get it. The movie is actually a cynical parody on that kind of movie. It exposes the fascist undercurrent in many 'good guys vs. bad guys' movies, SF or not. In fact, you could even argue that the film is a critique of Heinlein's book, but i'm not very familiar with Heinlein so i'd do a lousy job at that.
he say you brade runner
<<

Equinox21

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:35 pm

katdesign wrote:If you think Starship Troopers (the movie) is about teenagers killing bugs and trying to have sex, you just don't get it. The movie is actually a cynical parody on that kind of movie. It exposes the fascist undercurrent in many 'good guys vs. bad guys' movies, SF or not. In fact, you could even argue that the film is a critique of Heinlein's book, but i'm not very familiar with Heinlein so i'd do a lousy job at that.

Well, regardless of what they intended it to be about, it was god-awful. To say it "esposes the fascist undercurrent" doesn't work for me. In the book the government followed a formula similar to that of Ancient Rome, in that to become a citizen, one must first be a soldier, otherwise you'd never be able to hold office (or vote, if I recall correctly) and stay a civilian your whole life. The movie, such as it was, should have NOT been called "Starship Troopers". If they wanted to make that movie, and not use any of the HEART of the book, they should not have associated it with the book. The movie sucked.
Previous

Return to Philip K Dick