FAQ  •  Login

Rachel's hairdo problem!

<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:40 pm

Rachel's hairdo problem!

Hi, there's something that's been puzzling me. When Rachel is sitting at the piano and she lets down her hair, is she trying to make herself look like the woman in the picture opposite her?
and if so, why?

Any thoughts on this? :roll:
<<

BR12819

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:46 pm

i don't know if you've been formally greeted but if not welcome to the forums

i must admit i havent watched the film in a few months now but i remeber that particular scene because i figured her hairdresser would've wept openly at seeing his/her work destroyed but thats not important i would say that she did that to attempt to replicate the photo i think i'll watch the film tonite if i have time
Holden:"It's a wipe out, they're almost us!"
<<

death of the endless

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:06 am

Is it also that she is becoming more human-like? She is overly perfect with that glossy, neat hair, she looks like a doll - yet that is really partly her turning point, isn't it, where she knows she is a replicant, but acts like a human, rather than her previous (opposite?) situation. She is not so uptight - literally "letting her hair down" :D

death
<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:14 am

Hi again. Thanx for answering my question! Keeping on the topic of Rachel (i agree, she does look plastic like a doll), have you heard Rachel's song, by Vangelis? It is such a beautiful tune. It's ashame that it was never used in the film. :P
<<

BR796164

Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:19 am

Indeed, but then - in which scene of the movie it would fit?
<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:49 am

I think it would probably fit in the scene I described earlier, where Rachel is sitting at the piano. Or maybe in the end scene, when Rachel is lying in Deckard's apartment. :idea:
<<

bousley

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:52 am

I don't think the 'Rachel's Song' cue was intended for the Rachel-at-the-piano scene. I have heard the cue that Vangelis originally composed for this scene and it bears no resemblence to Rachel's Song. In fact it is available right here on BladeZone:

http://www.bladezone.com/contents/film/ ... _sound.php

(Just scroll down to track 11 - I Dreamt Music)

I've heard much speculation regarding the intended placement of 'Rachel's Song'. One of the rarer Blade Runner bootlegs actually demonstrates one theory by transitioning to the cue as part of the Rachel VK interview, however, I think the most likely placement of 'Rachel's Song' is where 'Memories of Green' is heard at Deckard's apartment. I think 'Memories of Green' was originally used as a temp track and Vangelis intended to replace it with a new cue. The cues are similar in mood and is the only place in the released film where a previously released Vangelis piece is used. Vangelis was probably overruled and they used the temp track.
<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:34 am

Thanx very much. I have several of Vangelis's albums. I think his music is very inspiring, wouldn't u agree? :P :wink:
<<

bousley

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:35 am

Although I?m not a fan of everything he?s done, there are many things Vangelis has done that I think show an uncanny knack for translating an image or idea into musical form. I think the Blade Runner Soundtrack is a landmark of electronic composition. The subtle layering of electronic and acoustic instruments is stunning.

I started collecting versions of the Blade Runner Soundtrack in ?95. It?s amazing how many versions of this soundtrack are out there. I?m closing-in on fifty in my collection currently.
<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:50 am

i have the book 'the making of blade runner', by Paul sammon. In the back, i'm pretty sure that it lists all of the different versions of the soundtrack. There are alot. :o
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:58 am

of course, 80 percent of these special soundtracks are not available in your neighbourhood music store.
<<

Tomtrek

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:48 pm

What was that wonderful site that had track listings for all the different version of the soundtrack, include the Animoid Row releases...

It's a fantastic site, someone post it! :o

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. "
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:37 pm

Do you mean this one?
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Tomtrek

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:43 pm

That's the one!
Damnit, I need that ESPER release... :twisted:

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. "
<<

bousley

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:52 pm

Richard,

You posted the link just as I was logging in to post it myself. This is Antas? site. He has one of the largest collection of Vangelis (not just Blade Runner) releases in the world. He has been kind enough to allow us to peruse his site. He only asks that no one use the information in commercial efforts. (Antas locked down the main entrance to this site when links to his page started appearing on eBay.)
Next

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?