FAQ  •  Login

Deckard - Human or Replicant - the forum's verdict?

<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:38 am

To anyone who has a view on the status of Deckard, please read my reply to <!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A HREF="http://bladezone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=565&forum=2&3" TARGET="_blank">this</A><!-- BBCode u2 End --> topic started in the other forum.
[addsig]
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:58 pm

I was curious about deckard from the beginning. I had a hard time finding any real cues about whether or not he was human but the plot led me to beleive he was a replicant.
<<

SpookyBoy

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:47 pm

Okay!Ladies and Gents, <BR>I say Deck is a Human in the original release. <BR>I say Deck is a Rep in the DC version. <BR>End of story.
[addsig]
I am The CHEESE!
<<

Deckard BR26354

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:51 am

(sigh)
[addsig]
Richard Gunn

We each live in our own realities - who's maintaining yours?

The only thing that you can be 100% sure of, is that you can't be 100% sure of anything.
<<

endzem

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:57 am

I feel the same way, Deck. <BR> <BR>
<<

Mr. Fusion

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:24 pm

I think it adds an interesting twist to the movie, but I've reviewd the Human vs Rep stats, and there are just too many premisses in the Human category to support the Deckard Is Human argument.
[addsig]
<<

Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:32 am

I can see how many might think that deckard was a replican. In the beginning he spoke of how he never had any feelings towards killing/destroying replicans, that it was his job, he was good at it. Replicans replicated humans in every sense, except for the concept of emotions, which in some sense with new Nexus 6, were achieving programmed feelings, and maybe be learning a few on their own. Which, for the testimony that deccard was a replican, he could be. <BR> <BR>But i know, humans can be highly trained, and not have feelings when killing others, just as deccard was highly trained to not let emotions or pain get in the way of his duty. it was only when he wanted to retire, did he start to let emotions get in his way. And a good looking female can almost always bring emotions out in a person. <BR> <BR>So i think deccard was human, just took lots of years and finally an annoyance to bring them out.
<<

Paul G

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:09 pm

So that would be <BR>Human 24 <BR>Replicant 19 <BR> <BR>oh, and Hi everyone! sorry I've been gone for so long! *mutters about the final year of schooling* <BR> <BR>Paul
<<

Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:11 am

You'd think that after 12 years (since the DC came out) this discussion would get tiring. IMO at least, it still hasnt. <BR> <BR>I wont try to sway anyones view points. I think one of the great things about blade runner is that fact that you have to make up your mind on your own. Just because Ridley Scott says deckard is a rep doesnt mean it is so. He is the director, but he didnt write the script and he didnt act the part. The only thing i object to is his refusal (though i think it has subsided) to release the workprint with the voice over along with the DC on DVD. It IS his vision and it IS beautiful, but the fans have a right to see both. <BR> <BR>One last thing. Upon rewatching the movie for the x time, i still feel that the ending is not quite as poingant if deckard was a rep. That would mean roy is just saving him because he is a "brother". If deckard is human, it makes roy's action that much more meaningful. <BR> <BR>But judge for yourselves, and keep watching the greatest scifi movie ever made!
[addsig]
Gaff: "You've done a man's job, sir! I guess you are through?"

Deckard: "Finished".
<<

maxtream

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:31 am

My vote goes for Deck-a-Rep! <BR>Human 24 <BR>Replicant 20 <BR>
The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself. Your image keeps shifting, and you change with it.
<<

stu

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:46 am

for mine, deckard is human......

but since humans are replicants with more longevity than the nexus replicants...the question is mute :)

why would the god of biomechanics only give replicants a 2 year lifespan ?....why would the god of humanity (big ?) only give humans a lifespan of 70 or so years....

human 25
replicant 20

can anyone tell I'm gettin' old ? :cry:

"I want more life....."

stu
<<

ROBOCOP

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:15 am

Haha, Human is winning :) If you stick to the Novel he is human but if you disregard it, he is still human :D
<<

ROBOCOP

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:17 am

Haha, Human is winning :) If you stick to the Novel he is human but if you disregard it, he is still human :D
<BR>
<BR>"What are you prepared to do?"-John T Cable
<<

darko9688

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:24 pm

I read that he's a replicant in the directors cut. I've also seen that version of the film. although most like to believe he's a human. Depends which version u watch, i suppose!

rep:21

human:25
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:37 pm

Fact wise according to the intentions of ridley scott he was a replicant....BUT I think it is Most important that at first we feel that he is human and later we question if he might not be....We are meant to question our own humaness or humanity(true of the book as well). whether or not he truly is or isn't is almost irrellivant. It is almost best left as an unanswered question. IMHO anyway. The important thing is re-evaluating our definitions and criteria of being "human". Because in "reality" they were all actors and replicants do not exhist. :P
PreviousNext

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?