FAQ  •  Login

Ridley Scott has just signed on

<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Ridley Scott has just signed on

"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: Ridley Scott has just signed on

Maybe it will be like Prometheus, set in the same world as Alien but not a direct prequel. But then again, Prometheus really sounds like an Alien movie to me. And all the stills and set pics look very much like Alien.

I'm more interested in a new Blade Runner with Scott attached. Especially since Prometheus will have him in dark sci-fi mode again.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this!
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Me too! :)

I'm in favour of the Prometheus approach, as well: in the world, but not necessarily hanging off the same story.

However you slice it, the 'class factor' of this film just went up a couple dozen notches!
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 pm

My first reaction was *facepalm*...WHY????

I would almost prefer a different director, because then regardless of how the film turned out, it could be dismissed as little more than fan fiction. Even if the film said in no uncertain terms that all Blade Runners are replicants (including Deckard), it wouldn't matter in the end. ... But since we have the same director, doesn't that make it "canon"?

I'm so tired of Hollywood having to make anything that has name recognition. For heavens sake, they are making Battleship into a movie. Yes, the board game. I suspect that is what is going on here. I think they started pursuing a Blade Runner sequel/prequel long before they had an idea for the story (much less a good idea).

But then again...Blade Runner started out as a cash-in, and somehow ended up evolving into a sci-fi art film. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

But I doubt it.
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 am

Ambiguous wrote:But then again...Blade Runner started out as a cash-in, and somehow ended up evolving into a sci-fi art film. Maybe lightning will strike twice.

But I doubt it.

I concur, but I'll keep a bit of hope, just in case. :wink:
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 pm

I think the best way everyone will enjoy it is to not expect the second coming the way people did with The Phantom Menace.

It will surely excite some, and piss others off.

I'm just glad the property is being explored a bit more. I trust that Ridley will give it the respect and polish he worked so hard to achieve on the first one. I think he has seen and learned from George Lucas's mistakes, and is just a better filmmaker. George is a good spark man, Ridley is the visionary follow-through guy that delivers the goods.

My only fear is that the film will be rushed to be completed on a studio timeline,and the same thought, energy, grit, blood, sweat and tears that went into the original will not make it into this one. Physical sets would be a must, and green-screen only for effects that wouldn't be noticed. The dark and dismal, lived-in world needs to feel real, and to pull that off, it must actually be real.
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 pm

My initial reaction to the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qfd8KQRwfg

If they insist on making a BR sequel, I really hope it has nothing at all to do with the storyline or characters in the original. Then we can have the fun of exploring other parts of the layered and complex world Scott created, but not have it change our perceptions of the original. I hope "Blade Runner" isn't even in the title.

Blade Runner was a relatively big budget sci-fi art film. It is astonishing enough that it got made in 1982. It's almost impossible to imagine something like that getting made today. I think the "right way" to do a BR sequel would be very non-commercial.
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm excited to hear what Ridley will do with another BR film. But also nervous if the project falls through and is handed to less capable people.

Interesting that Ridley is revisiting Alien and Blade Runner again.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 pm

I like that Rid is coming back to set the tone with today's technology (likely including 3D, given his recent comments on the subject). That way, any subsequent directors can't come along and say, 'I could've made something that good, but times have changed!'.

They're all going to have some big shoes to fill...
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm not fully convinced by 3D yet, and likely never will be. Avatar was skillfully done, but the picture screened at my cinema megaplex was dark and terrible quality. The major cinema system has been neglecting this problem. We shouldn't get a less quality picture.
<<

DetDeck

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:00 am

I say take it Off World, thirty to forty years after the events of Blade Runner. Deckard has aged, no four year lifespan. Perhaps he's become the leader of a replicant movement against the creators. Maybe replicants are now a threat to humanity. Maybe it's humans that are now being targeted for retirement. Whatever the story, Ridley is going to do it justice. The Blade Runner Universe needs revisiting. Who better to handle this endeavour than the man who brought us the original where the future is old.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:32 am

Noneoftheabove wrote:I'm not fully convinced by 3D yet

Me neither, but Ridley has said that he'll never work without it from here on in. I guess looking at Prometheus next year will give us a good idea of what we're in for!

As for the script, it's funny - Rid always said that he'd love to return to sci-fi if he was given 'the right script'. That's what Prometheus presumably was, but then he had the script largely rewritten. And now he's committed to a Blade Runner film with no script at all! I suspect he just wants to enjoy himself and round out his career (he's 73, after all) with some films that'll be really popular...
<<

Ambiguous

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:42 pm

DetDeck wrote:Deckard has aged, no four year lifespan.

No no no. I think the #1 thing they should definitely NOT do is add anything at all to the Deck-a-Rep debate. No hints, no in-jokes...NOTHING.

The issue is complicated enough without also throwing in the question of weather or not the sequel counts.
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 am

DetDeck wrote:I say take it Off World, thirty to forty years after the events of Blade Runner. Deckard has aged, no four year lifespan.

Tyrell told me that Rachael was special, no termination date.
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 pm

It appears to be pretty much confirmed that the film will be a sequel, and that none of the original cast are likely to appear:

[url]http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/11/04/ridley-scott-says-he’ll-direct-‘blade-runner’-sequel/[/url]

Hope Vangelis and Syd Mead will get on board, though... along with Scott, they're kind of the BR 'holy trinity'.
Next

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel