The Adjustment Bureau - New PKD movie starring Matt Damon

<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 pm

The Adjustment Bureau - New PKD movie starring Matt Damon

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000550.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Damon is at the center of "The Adjustment Bureau," a contemporary science fiction love story that was shopped to studios by Media Rights Capital.

Nolfi wrote a script that is loosely based on a Philip K. Dick short story, and he will make his directing debut on the film, which will begin production by late summer.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 pm

yeau...pretty cool. I forget to post these things here sometimes. (I usually add the PKD related stuff at KippleZone's forum) :shock:
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 am

Kipple wrote:yeau...pretty cool. I forget to post these things here sometimes. (I usually add the PKD related stuff at KippleZone's forum) :shock:

Yea it is cool! We have lots of PKD movies/documentaries coming!
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: The Adjustment Bureau - New PKD movie starring Matt Damon

I saw this at the theater a few weeks ago and enjoyed it!
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

Here's an excellent blog entry about this movie ... as it relates -- or doesn't -- to the actual PKD story that this movie is based on.

http://totaldickhead.blogspot.com/2011/ ... usted.html
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 am

Kipple wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but I will.

Here's an excellent blog entry about this movie ... as it relates -- or doesn't -- to the actual PKD story that this movie is based on.

http://totaldickhead.blogspot.com/2011/ ... usted.html

The review is spot on.

Really, the only PKD movie that I've seen that is actually like its source material is A Scanner Darkly.

Still, I enjoy these "adaptations". While they are definitely not true to their source material, they are far more entertaining than all the other crap in the theater.

When I went to this movie, my choices were Adjustment Bureau vs Battle LA.

But yes, Dark City is a killer movie and much better than this!

I also really enjoyed I, Robot...even though it was really nothing like the novel.
<<

OWC

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 am

I went to see this, attracted by the name "Philip K. Dick", and the references to Inception in the promo material, and was expecting it to be far more of a mindfuck than it turned out to be. To be fair, there are some very good "what is real?" moments early in the film, and the concept behind "The plan" (God, fate, destiny, freewill, personal desire vs. good of mankind etc) is an interesting one, but it soon turns into a romance rather than the expected mental-warping, although I have to admit I haven't read the source material, so didn't know exactly what was coming. The two leads are very well-matched, though, and there is a genuine chemistry between them, so you do find yourself wishing for the against-all-odds (with "race against time" pursuit) happy ending, and also wondering if Hollywood would dare to send punters home unhappy just this once. It did remind me of the Nicholas Cage film "City of Angels" in places (minus the nausea), with the men of the bureau creeping dangerously close to being "angels", so I wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out. As a sci-fi thriller, it leaves a lot to be desired, but as a romance with a bit of brain-activity, it's a fun and cheerful way to give your eyes/ears something to do whilst you eat popcorn and wonder how you're going to remove the chewing gum from your arse. If I had a girlfriend, this is the kind of film I'd probably go and see with her, but alas, I am an internet dwelling hopelessly-romantic singleton.

The next film I had been planning to see is Source Code, but that also seems to have a "going against the boss's wishes/messing up the plan because you've fallen in love with a girl you shouldn't have got involved with" theme, so I might wait for a while until the Adjustment Bureau isn't quite so fresh in my mind.
<<

Tryfan915

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:35 am

OWC wrote:The next film I had been planning to see is Source Code, but that also seems to have a "going against the boss's wishes/messing up the plan because you've fallen in love with a girl you shouldn't have got involved with" theme, so I might wait for a while until the Adjustment Bureau isn't quite so fresh in my mind.

I haven't seen the Adjustment Bureau, but I saw Source Code with my son last Friday night. I was impressed. I think that Duncan Jones is one to watch. Mute next perhaps? =P~
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 am

Yea, I wanna see Source Code. Had it been out the weekend I saw Adjustment Burea, I would have chose it instead.

Moon was incredible.

I can't wait to see his eventual take on Blade Runner!
<<

OWC

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Ok, I've now seen Source Code, and you know what? I think I actually preferred The Adjustment Bureau. Perhaps if Source Code had ended at the "freeze", my opinion would have been different; it would have certainly made it a much more conflicting, bittersweet ending, one far more satisfying. I'll go with 'Bureau for the mush, as the character chemistry was so much more natural. Also, Source Code reminded me a little too much of concepts from other films/novels...it felt more of a half-arsed mixing pot than a stand-alone work, and far more "popcorn" and self-explanatory than Duncan Jones's previous effort, although [SPOILER] you are left wondering just how the hell the "possessor" will seamlessly fit into his new role and live happily ever after without anyone becoming suspiscious. I feel this is more a giant plot hole than a serious attempt to get us thinking, and a lot of the contradictions within the film give me the same impression: that the writers hope you don't give it too much thought, as it will soon unravel.

I went to see Moon twice at the cinema, and bought the DVD at full price on the day of release (and have every intention of picking up the score as well); I don't think I'll be doing any of that for SC.

Edit: Oops, this isn't really on topic anymore, maybe split it into a Source Code topic?
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 am

OWC wrote:Ok, I've now seen Source Code, and you know what? I think I actually preferred The Adjustment Bureau. Perhaps if Source Code had ended at the "freeze", my opinion would have been different; it would have certainly made it a much more conflicting, bittersweet ending, one far more satisfying. I'll go with 'Bureau for the mush, as the character chemistry was so much more natural. Also, Source Code reminded me a little too much of concepts from other films/novels...it felt more of a half-arsed mixing pot than a stand-alone work, and far more "popcorn" and self-explanatory than Duncan Jones's previous effort, although [SPOILER] you are left wondering just how the hell the "possessor" will seamlessly fit into his new role and live happily ever after without anyone becoming suspiscious. I feel this is more a giant plot hole than a serious attempt to get us thinking, and a lot of the contradictions within the film give me the same impression: that the writers hope you don't give it too much thought, as it will soon unravel.

I went to see Moon twice at the cinema, and bought the DVD at full price on the day of release (and have every intention of picking up the score as well); I don't think I'll be doing any of that for SC.

Edit: Oops, this isn't really on topic anymore, maybe split it into a Source Code topic?

Nah, its ok. I saw Source Code a few days after you posted about it as well. I liked it more than Adjustment Burea, but I agree the chemistry was much more natural in Adjustment Bureau. I don't think Source Code would hold up to multiple viewing like Moon either. Still, I am excited about that future "Blade Runner inspired" flick he was talking about a few years ago.

Return to Philip K Dick