FAQ  •  Login

Very Blade Runner-like music in WATCHMEN movie!

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:58 am

Considering how many directors have failed to make comic books come to life in any convincing sense in the past, I would have to say he has at least some talent. Even if I am not a big fan, I have appreciated what he has done.

Andy
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Snyders first film was a copy and past of a George Romero film... strike one

His second film; was copying and pasting the images from the 300 Graphic novel. It was so lifeless, I almost walked out within the first 5 mintues of this film. However i stayed just to see if there were any thing worth later on.. there was not. just copying and pasting images directly from a graphic novel to the silver screen takes little or no tallent, and less imagination

Strike two

Then the watchemen, on the set, he clung to the graphic novel proudly every day.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Strike three?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Leon Corporation wrote:
kornula wrote:
Leon Corporation wrote:I heard some Blade Runner Blues music when Rorschach walked the streets. Great film! Amazing over-the-top images! The plot is the bonus. Snyder is the new Ridley Scott. I kid you not!

really????????

Snyder is a horrid director he is a total lucky hack who got lucky

the man has 0 tallent

Oh, he's got lots of talent, especially when it comes to aesthetics, just like Ridley Scott. If you think the visuals of Watchmen are terrible (as in zero talent), then I don't know how you can be a fan of Blade Runner. Snyder makes visual-based movies and that's a rare thing these days.

Your statement is bold and unfounded. I can be a fan of Blade runner for recognizing every element of film making that was poured into it. I can somewhat appreicate the visuals of snyders "films" Only visuals without substance ...why should I be a fan of everything that is just visual based?
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:13 am

While I agree that he seems to have trouble with Character development. and or makes his actors try to portray the characters as the comic books do. I think he does keep the story important more than many action movies in the Michael bay vein do. I find it ironic that many people said very similar things about Ridley Scott early in his career that he was mostly an aesthetics director that cared more about visuals than story telling. I also know a lot of comic book fans that ask specifically that the movies based on them do not re-imagine the comics they love. Just as fans of certain novels feel about Hollywoodization of their favorite books. I think this is what he intended and succeeded in doing. You don't have to be a fan to respect the craft. I can hope he will grow as a director and find more depth as he does.

Andy
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:58 pm

I hope he improves too, but I almost walked out on 300. I stayed to the bitter end. I wanted all the characters dead within the first 3 minutes. Its funny how his visuals lacked .. at least in 300 lacked any sensuality. At least Scotts visuals in every film (even gladiator) gives of a sense of life and sensuality. Snyder not only is lifeless.. he drains life out of the images

I have not seen Watchmen .. just because I've been so disgusted with this hack given a brilliant comic. I may overcome this eventually. I can appreicaite a filmmaker who only focuses on one aspect of filmmaking; weather strong character or story or visuals However, Snyders visuals, as i have pointed out, lack any sense of life. Scotts films all have lived in looks.. granted, Alien and Blade runner do have almost mechanical like characters (Ripley and Deckard) but it suited the film and the story. Plus, weather by accident or on purpose, all the actors in Scots film still convey some humanity, even if they come across stiff

Snyder, so far, has just copied and pasted
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Watchmen was a big improvement over his previous films. Still his focused audience is the video game generation. Not sure if watchmen would change your opinion about him, but it might give you some hope for his future films. I enjoyed it.

Andy
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:42 pm

ridleynoir wrote:Watchmen was a big improvement over his previous films. Still his focused audience is the video game generation. Not sure if watchmen would change your opinion about him, but it might give you some hope for his future films. I enjoyed it.

Andy

its going to be a tough call for me. Eventually, I will get around to it, but I'm still having trouble watching "Scanner Darkly" since I hate that "director" even more
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:17 am

You spend a lot of energy on movies you didn't like. I can't think of too many movies I didn't like from more than a year ago, because I just forget them as soon as I can. I prefer to save that space in my brain for the good ones.

Andy
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:13 am

ridleynoir wrote:I can't think of too many movies I didn't like from more than a year ago, because I just forget them as soon as I can. I prefer to save that space in my brain for the good ones.

Bravo! :)
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 pm

ridleynoir wrote:You spend a lot of energy on movies you didn't like. I can't think of too many movies I didn't like from more than a year ago, because I just forget them as soon as I can. I prefer to save that space in my brain for the good ones.

Andy

I hold onto all the movies I've seen - good and bad. I want to avoid what made the bad films bad, and hold onto what made the good films good

That way, I can make my own - hopefully good
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:48 am

If you focus on the pot hole in the road you will most likely hit it. If you focus on the path around it you will certainly miss it. Being focused on what doesn't work in a film will most likely trap you into thinking in that vein. You need to find what makes things successful or find ways to make the things that don't work...work. Focusing on the negative is a sure recipe for failure.

Andy
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:27 pm

ridleynoir wrote:If you focus on the pot hole in the road you will most likely hit it. If you focus on the path around it you will certainly miss it. Being focused on what doesn't work in a film will most likely trap you into thinking in that vein. You need to find what makes things successful or find ways to make the things that don't work...work. Focusing on the negative is a sure recipe for failure.

Andy

I'm just pointing out the negative. ignoring the pothole all together is also a recipe for disaster. Not letting the other cars behind me somehow know there is a pothole ahead is negligence on my part
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 am

Ummm...okay?
Previous

Return to Blade Runner Round Table