Rachael

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 am

Rachael

She's a good looking gal and all, no queston about that. But has anyone noticed how she comes across with a little of that clingy, needy kind of crazy?

Or perhaps that's just Sean Young's own crazy coming through? It came through really stong in her voice in her line, "He wouldn't see me" and a couple of lines in the deleted 'happy' ending too..

I'm not holding it against her or anything. It's quite understandable that she's off balance, given the circumstances.
It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

Jovan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:48 pm

She was a much stronger character according to Fancher in his script, who believed everyone else should have a better head on their shoulders than Deckard. You can see her coming across that way in the screen test with Morgan Paull, available in the "Enhancement Archive" disc. You /do/ have the complete set, right? :wink:
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Jovan wrote: You can see her coming across that way in the screen test with Morgan Paull, available in the "Enhancement Archive" disc. You /do/ have the complete set, right? :wink:

I do indeed :D I just mostly put it down to Sean Young herself being a little inconsistent. Perhaps also her inexperience..

Don't get me wrong. I still love her performace. I just feel it was perhaps nuanced in unintentional ways that still worked well in spite of themselves. Or maybe I'm just rambling? I am getting sleepy..
<<

NEXUS 7

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Rachael

Feyhra wrote:...she comes across with a little of that clingy, needy kind of crazy? [...] It's quite understandable that she's off balance, given the circumstances.

Yeah, her whole life is a fraud, her 'uncle' won't even see her, and Deckard might be the only one with answers for her. She's very vulnerable.
DECKARD: Memories! You're talking about memories!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

BR's Rachel is rather different than the DADOES Rachel. You're right, she is kinda clingy. But consider learning about the fact that you're not actually human, at least, not a regular one.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Jovan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't completely chalk it up to Sean Young. I think it's one of her best performances, and it's obvious Ridley wanted to go with the innocent-vulnerable Rachael rather than her and Nina Axelrod's cockiness in their screen tests. Nina Axelrod was a BABE in that screen test, by the way.

It's unfortunate she didn't get that much farther in her career after Blade Runner, because she did well in the other roles she had, even if the movies themselves were unremarkable.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm

You have to be already famous to have movie people tolerate your "quirks." If you are a brilliant but largely unknown actress and you have "quirks" you are going to have a pretty spotty career.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Jovan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:47 am

Here...

Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:30 am

Re: Here...

well, there's plenty of sean young love in the comments here..

http://reporter.blogs.com/goldrush/2008 ... usive.html

to be honest, i've always found certain kinds of crazy to be irresistible. infuriating at times, perhaps, but quite refreshing. i'd happily go on a bender with sean young!
<<

Jovan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Here...

Okay.

Return to Blade Runner Round Table