FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner (The Budget Cut)

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

gromitspapa

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 pm

I thought Barney did a great job, too. I've seen many of those deleted scenes separately in the Final Cut 5 disc set, but they work so much better in the context of the movie. There was more to understand with the scenes put back in. I notice he was selective about which voiceovers to put back in and made good choices.
<<

Chris66

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am

Just watched it today and I thought it was very good. It was interesting to see the deleted and alternative scenes put back into the film (some of which I liked). Overall it was a different viewing experience from the other versions of the film which made it more unique. I think the only criticism I have is that at the end credits of the film you used different music which I did not think went with the end scene very well.
"Let me tell you about my mother"
<<

grofaz

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:17 pm

There is nothing "budgety" about your work B. Well done mate, GREAT work I enjoyed it inmensly, too bad I could not see it on my 60". Thank you very much!
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu May 21, 2009 2:32 pm

wow, every time i look there seems to be a new cut someone's made. we're spoiled for choice now. i'm definitely intrigued to see what this version has to offer :)

i suppose once you watched blade runner for the 1000th time or so it's nice to see a slightly different take on things, helps bring a fresh perspective and all that

at some point i'll have to make an inventory of all the different version of blade runner i've collected

strangely enough, i still have a soft spot for that old 4:3 vhs rip of the theatrical cut. i suppose i could grab some video of white noise, cut it into the beginning and the very end, re-encode it to dvd put it on a menuless disc and release it as an authentic 1980s vhs nostalgia cut!
It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

grofaz

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm

I now have the remake bug, thinking of doing something with my other all time favorite - The Matrix. :D
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun May 31, 2009 6:24 pm

how about somebody to a fan review of his edit?
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 pm

nails6365 wrote:how about somebody to a fan review of his edit?

oh wow, yes... i watched this a few nights ago. i'm not sure that my movie reviewing skills are up to much. i'd certainly have to watch it again before i attempted that in any kind of serious way

what i remember of that one viewing, it was a nicely edited cut, with everything feeling in it's place, extra scenes included.

i think my main quibbles would be not the cut itself which was very good, but the authoring of the dvd which was, as the editor himself admits, a little rough around the edges still. nothing wrong with that though. to me part of the charm of blade runner is it is a little rough and flawed in places - it's set in a rough and flawed universe so that isn't really much of an issue

perhaps i had a couple problems because i ripped the disc to my hard drive and played it direct from the VIDEO_TS folder instead?

but anyway, i remember starting to watch and it skipped right past the intro and leon's VK test to deckard being picked up by gaff to go and see bryant. i thought that was a little unsual and shrugged my shoulders and continued with an open mind

i was left thinking it was a quite daring edit. the idea being to add some, but also take away. the film certainly works fine with the scene of holden being shot missing, although how much of that is down to my familiarity with the film i don't know. that scene is certainly replayed many times during the course of the film, although i'm not quite so blade runner obsessed yet that i've counted exactly how many times :wink:

one cut i remember quite distinctly though is when bryant is briefing deckard. pretty much all the replicant's are glossed over...was this to make way for the added scene with deckard reviewing the file in the spinner on the way to VK rachael? it makes sense for the same information to not be repeated and the cut worked fine

but yes, the whole missing leon scene. somehow the dvd ended up being authored so that each section of the film(15 in total) each had it's own timer, so i was never quite sure exactly the length of the entire film.

as i approached the end of the film i found there seemed to be a whole extra scene and was wondering if this wasn't one of the 'happy' ending put on there. i was off course, wrong.. for some reason the final scene was actually the intro and leon shooting scene, so it was in there, just out of sequence

aside from these slight technical glitches which i'm sure can easily be fixed, i liked this edit a whole lot. it very much in the spirit of an extended theatrical cut without the happy ending - we have some voiceover, plenty of added scenes, and no unicorn

the dvd title menu was very nicely done - making each option a photograph was a nice touch and very in keeping with the spirit of the movie

i really need to take another look at this again. i was tired when i watched it and i'm sure i missed some of the finer points. perhaps i'll also try to play it direct from the disc next time? tha might help me discern if there was anything i did that put everything out of sequence someone

yes, this was a good edit. well worth taking a look a at. definitely a worthy addition to anyone's blade runner collection
:)
<<

nails6365

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 pm

and you said you might not be good at a review!

Ive sent kipple a copy of the ultimate cut for review purpses, but that was weeks ago. im getting the impression its gone walkies.

im about half way through the ultimate cut review now, if you have seen it and wish to help me wit this review, PM me and i`ll give you the bladezone link.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:13 pm

nails6365 wrote:and you said you might not be good at a review!

Ive sent Kipple a copy of the ultimate cut for review purposes, but that was weeks ago. im getting the impression its gone walkies.

im about half way through the ultimate cut review now, if you have seen it and wish to help me wit this review, PM me and i`ll give you the bladezone link.

Yeah, sorry m8. No DVD. So, go on without me.
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:07 pm

nails6365 wrote:and you said you might not be good at a review!

Ive sent kipple a copy of the ultimate cut for review purpses, but that was weeks ago. im getting the impression its gone walkies.

By that, do you mean Shuwest's Ultimate Workprint edition? I'd like to see that one - The clips look very interesting. I already have a copy of Kazuchoice's cut in the mail to me..
<<

nails6365

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 am

Kazuchoice ver3.0 arrived this morning, the snake sequence is fantastic.

The ultimate workprint is also worth a look, the quality is truly better than the dvd i have. recon he mastered off a blu-ray etc. the ending is great too, a clever bit of reworking me thinks..
<<

nails6365

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:29 am

budget cut arrived this morning. as soon as ive finished my front porch i`ll get to grips with finishing the ultimate workprint and do a review on the budget cut.
<<

nails6365

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:33 am

Well, just had a quick browse through the budget cut..

I have to say, for the tools used to produce this version (although budget cut lives up to its name) i was very impressed with a newbies aproach to DVD editing.

The menu really stands out and something the author should be proud of. if it wasnt for the fact that chapter 1 is now after the end credit... you may have occured some more brownie points.. Each chapters has an awful fadein-fadeout too.

that said, for standing up and claiming its merely a budget cut, i give you top marks for effort. Remeber, you can only get better at editing.

(ive just finished editing an Elvis concert to the newly released Little more conversation, what a bitch this has been to lip sync - since he never actually sang this in his 1970 concert!)

I`d be glad to help anybody who needs so help with editing some clips, and i do recon Kent is really that far from Brighton ???

gary
<<

nails6365

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 am

gromitspapa wrote:I thought Barney did a great job, too. I've seen many of those deleted scenes separately in the Final Cut 5 disc set, but they work so much better in the context of the movie. There was more to understand with the scenes put back in. I notice he was selective about which voiceovers to put back in and made good choices.

It funny how blade runner fans ould prefer a bloated version, to a FC verison. maybe because we are ot a new audience, and we dont need to be educated?
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut