Blade Runner Expo in 3D

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

doc3d

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Blade Runner Expo in 3D

Actually it's an old topic, but may be new to you. While digging around on the web looking for a guy I knew years ago (Yoshifumi Yamamoto, who sold a licensed resin cast Spinner, and a few other BR models, through a company called TVC-15-- if you know where he is, please lmk!)

It led me back to the bladezone bbs, because I found my own name pop up. Apparently the 3D images I shot at an attempt to hold a BR Convention in Tacoma still survive. There are 3D shots of Morgan Paull and William Sanderson, and also a 3D shot of the LA police building. I made the police building image by taking internegs of frame shots from a 35mm theatrical trailer. The horizontal tracking movement in the police station shot created enough parallax to get stereo. The link is below.

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/fan/3d/3dpage.html

I don't think I have the original negatives any longer, or I'd use Photoshop CS3 and repair these pics. Technology re digital imaging has changed a lot. I'll dig for the originals, and I may try to get the glare streak out the the police building, and sharpen the image frames a little. I don't have a Blu Ray or HDTV system, or I'd just go for frame caps and fix those.

Looking at the motion gifs in the above-- done to make it clear to people what was happening re stereo-- also reminded me that I took a bunch of frame captures and made a lenticular motion photo the same size as Rachel's fake memory photo showing a woman and a girl on the front porch of a house. Just like the scene in the film, when you move it from side to side, it comes to life the same way it did in the movie.

doc
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:17 pm

Very cool Doc.

I have played around with Stereo photography myself and even worked for company that sold a 3D viewer. The website might still be up www.3diq.com though the company is pretty much gone.

I found this guy who did a similar thing you did and created anaglyphs from BR video...

http://www.jessemazer.com/3Dphotos/bladerunner3D.html

Some of my 3D shots...
Andy
Last edited by ridleynoir on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

doc3d

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:18 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85452191@N ... 2/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85452191@N ... 6/sizes/o/

A slightly restored 3D pic of the police station, and a corrected stereo pair of William Sanderson and some conference people. And a tiny amount of digital clean up, but at the resolution these things are, can't do much.

BTW, I'm assuming this blog is still part of the other bladezone with the black background?

In any case, whoever did the transfer-- couldn't have been me-- switched the left and right images on the 3D article post for the image above. I's all supposed to be crosseyed freeview, and that one image was parallel freeview, so everything was pseudoscopic. If this is the same organization. please replace the images in the article with those above.

Doc
Last edited by doc3d on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:31 pm

I actually prefer parallel freeview over crosseyed, because the images appear larger, even if it is harder for a novice to do. Both are easy for me though.

Andy
<<

doc3d

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 pm

I see someone has a Loreo or something similar on their camera. :D What stereo people inaccurately call a "beam splitter"...

Farsighted people easily parallel view, nearsighted people more easily crosseyed freeview (freeviewing is just a trick to resolve a stereo pair without using a stereoscope or similar technology. You freeview just by making your eyes converge or diverge. Then convincing your brain that this image is stereoscopic.)

Anyway the article mentioned crosseyed views, so probably best to fix this for consistency. Also I got rid of a little of the raggy background from low rez web transfer.

Doc
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 pm

I still have my Loreo and a Nimslo. I almost bought a Sputnik back when they were going for around $100, because the market got flooded with them. I have used a Stereo Realist and a custom side by side two body 35mm SLR that was modded to use one roll of film. I also had a Tripod rail that was marked up to do studio shots with any camera. It got lost in the move or stolen though.

Andy
<<

doc3d

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Then you ought to be aware of all the terrific 3D freeware there is available.

http://www.stereoscopy.com/downloads/

And the very best one done by Muttyan:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/

His program, Stereo Photo Maker, is the best one ever made for stereoscopy. And it's free.

For the true 3D geek, he always has the latest Stereo Data Maker software. Also free. You use SDM to hack the OS of a number of Canon cameras. This arrangement will synch some of the Canon's to something near 1/30,000 sec. Synch has been the real drawback to digital 3D, but now that problem is solved completely.

Doc
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Cool! Thanks again Doc. I used to use a bunch of stereo programs that all went with the company, into deep storage. I have 4 rolls of undeveloped film that I need to take care of soon too. Always liked doing the anaglyphs. I seriously miss working for that company, even if it was my financial downfall :) It only still exists because it holds so many patents. Even if we sold them all for Top dollar we wouldn't see all our money back though. sad because I see others using our patents now, that I am sure did not pay for them. I would still love to get back into the hobby though.

Andy

Return to Blade Runner Round Table