Music in the "Dangerous Days" documentary

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Music in the "Dangerous Days" documentary

Before I begin, once again, a total hats-off to Mr. Charles de Lauzirika for bringing us the greatest godsend of the early 21st century; the man truly is a lucky SOB. =D>

But if there's one thing that bothers me about the package (besides the lack of image galleries, that is :wink:) is the tantalizing snippets of Vangelis music heard throughout the supplements that we'll probably never get to hear in their true form. CdL must've had access to REAMS of original Vangelis compositions that had probably never seen the light of day in their complete form until the composer revamped them in 5.1 for the Final Cut; and I'm not talking about the cues Vangelis eventually released in the 3-CD BR Trilogy, a soundtrack which was a definite step forward but still had the air of a missed opportunity :( . No, I'm talking about these bits of music that have yet to exist in their entirety on an official release or even a bootleg CD:

1-The music BY ITSELF, w/o sound effects, when J.F. invites Pris to come inside the Bradbury
2-The full, uncut music during Deckard's unicorn reverie
3-Both sets of music for Taffey Lewis's club
4-The music BY ITSELF when Roy joins Pris and J.F. for breakfast in the apartment
5-The full prelude of music when Roy and Pris persuade the hapless genetic designer to help them, leading up to Roy and J.F.'s chess game in the elevator
6-The music when Deckard makes his way up to J.F.'s apartment

You see? Access to all of THIS to use as source music for a documentary must've been a coke high, a serious fan's dream come true. Perhaps CdL should've included an isolated score for "Dangerous Days" as an Easter egg. :wink:

Also, if Mr. de Lauzirika chooses to reply to my post, please tell me in actuality how long the running time was for missing cues #2, 3, & 6!! :D It's perfectly alright if you didn't take notice of the running times, but please tell me about the experience of finding such wonderful background music, at least! :lol:
Last edited by Corellian2019 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm

An isolated score involving BR music will most likely never happen, unless Vangelis gives the OK.

It'd be nice though.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Yeah. It'd be even nicer if we had the kind of Easter egg I mentioned, ala the early Universal DVDs of The Thing ('82) and The Mummy ('99). :)
<<

BR796164

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 am

Well, if you have the bootleg OSTs, you have (almost) all the music. :wink:
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:25 am

IMHO, it's not so much CDL's responsibility to include the music on the FC, as it is Vangelis' to include it on the 25th Ann CD. But that's his prerogative.

Corellian2019 wrote:Yeah. It'd be even nicer if we had the kind of Easter egg I mentioned, ala the early Universal DVDs of The Thing ('82) and The Mummy ('99). :)

I agree. I still have my old DVD of "The THING". Got it free when I bought the game for PS2 a few years ago. It's letterboxed for 4:3 instead of Anamorphic WS for 16:9, but has that nice isolated score.
Didn't the more recent anamorphic releases for DVD/HDDVD include the score? I'm curious, as I'm waiting for the Blu-ray release.

To get back OT...
It's my hunch that we'll be seeing less & less of isolated scores on movies. More $ to be made if you offer it on a soundtrack seperately. And currently, ST's are BIG business.
ImageImageImage
<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:45 am

Gene Ettix wrote: I agree. I still have my old DVD of "The THING". Got it free when I bought the game for PS2 a few years ago. It's letterboxed for 4:3 instead of Anamorphic WS for 16:9, but has that nice isolated score.
Didn't the more recent anamorphic releases for DVD/HDDVD include the score? I'm curious, as I'm waiting for the Blu-ray release.

Nah, I rented the 2004 reissue DVD and it didn't have the isolated score feature. :(
-"Ha!...Kinship!"

Hear samples of music not included on the Blade Runner Trilogy at: http://bladerunnermusic.blogspot.com/2009/02/missing-music.html
<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Can't believe I forgot to mention this piece of unreleased music: :idea:

-The cue BY ITSELF when Deckard approaches Abdul Hassan's snake shop
-"Ha!...Kinship!"

Hear samples of music not included on the Blade Runner Trilogy at: http://bladerunnermusic.blogspot.com/2009/02/missing-music.html
<<

sinus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 am

This is driving me crazy too!
I watched all the featurettes last night and heard all those music cues.
Loud and clear with no ambient sound effects.
Where the frick are they?

I've been looking for the Taffey Lewis nightclub music forEVER.
There are 3 different cues I think, and they are all in these documentaries.

It drives me absolutely frickin nuts that these haven't been released.

And then they keep releasing Blade Runner soundtracks full of music that isn't from Blade Runner.

edit: One of the cues is Brian Eno & David Byrne's "Qu'uran", which I found.
<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

:D Welcome aboard, sinus!

Incidentally, on the subject of the missing Taffey Lewis club music, I found an absolutely CLEAN :shock: stereo mix of the cue when Miss Salome appears, in the MR3 bootleg that spans 4 CDs. I was absolutely floored when I discovered it. PM me if you want for more information.
-"Ha!...Kinship!"

<<

sinus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Corellian,

I found that!
As I listened to that track, it occurred to me that maybe CDL's team used the bootleg as a source.

Can you imagine? :shock:

Most of the bootlegs I've heard are simply the M&E (Music and Effects) track of the film, used in foreign releases.

So of course the Animoid Row music has squawking animals in it.

Which of the documentary featurettes have music we've never heard clean before?
<<

Corellian2019

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm

sinus wrote:Hi Corellian,

I found that!
As I listened to that track, it occurred to me that maybe CDL's team used the bootleg as a source.

Can you imagine? :shock:

Maybe. Or maybe CDL's team accidentally leaked the clean mix of "Salome's Dance" and the MR3 bootleg producers snatched it up. The thing I'd want to ask them, though, is: why present only 1 minute and 23 minutes??? You've got the entire clean cue, why not just include all of it? :x

sinus wrote:Which of the documentary featurettes have music we've never heard clean before?

Pretty much all of them.

An example would be at the end of the "Deck-a-Rep" featurette, where you get to hear a clean version of the "cat howl" cue.
-"Ha!...Kinship!"

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut