FAQ  •  Login

For those who bought the briefcase...

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

ridleyville

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 pm

I think ridleyville was explaining to Vampire Knight that he doesn't need to wait to watch Dangerous Days, deleted scenes, etc., they can be viewed on a standard dvd player. Check the discs... 3 say blu-ray, 2 say dvd. The HD sets are the same way.

Spot on Gene, that's exactly what i ment.
More human than human
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 pm

ridleyville wrote:
I think ridleyville was explaining to Vampire Knight that he doesn't need to wait to watch Dangerous Days, deleted scenes, etc., they can be viewed on a standard dvd player. Check the discs... 3 say blu-ray, 2 say dvd. The HD sets are the same way.

Spot on Gene, that's exactly what i ment.

Ah, I misunderstood your post. My fault. :oops:
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Krokodyle wrote:Oh, and the Blueray disc case sucks donkey b*lls. They need to improve THAT little bit of storage technology... :evil: At least my discs weren't visibly damaged...but only playing them will ensure they're OK.

What's wrong with the BluRay case? Now that they've won the war I'll probably buy one, but... what's the trouble?
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:
Krokodyle wrote:Oh, and the Blueray disc case sucks donkey b*lls. They need to improve THAT little bit of storage technology... :evil: At least my discs weren't visibly damaged...but only playing them will ensure they're OK.

What's wrong with the BluRay case? Now that they've won the war I'll probably buy one, but... what's the trouble?

\rant on

The disc spindle snap/button hub used, in my opinion, still needs work. If you put the disc back into the case, there should be NO way it can come off the hub unless it's taken out again by the owner/user. Having discs come off their hubs during shipping (2 of the 5 discs were, in my case), and then being damaged (I hope mine aren't, I can't test them yet), is something that just shouldn't happen these days. They've had 20 years to perfect this and they STILL can't get it right.

The discs in the DVD set arrived intact, and on their hubs. But some of them are layered on top of each other, which also kinda stinks.

Whoever figures this little technology out will be a zillionaire, I swear... :wink:

I believe that Amaray is the main, if not THE, case manufacturer for BluRay discs (I could be incorrect though).

Yeah, I'm probably over-nitpicking, but the damn case shouldn't be a liability with such a condition-sensitive media.

\rant off
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:46 pm

The digipak for my 4-disc set came to me with one broken flange. The digipak in my 5-disc set was OK, but with all that padding around it why shouldn't it?

I really don't like those digipaks, even though they are better for the environment. My DVDs are fine in spite of the digipak problem, but still...ugh.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 am

msgeek wrote:The digipak for my 4-disc set came to me with one broken flange.

And because of they way Digipaks are made, by attaching the hub/disc holder directly to the cover, you can't go out and get a replacement case and transfer the artwork over. Yet another example of bad engineering for a media shape that's been used for 20+ years.

At least with the BluRay cases, I can, in theory, replace the case. Still, it's silly that these things should break and/or potentially damage the media, right from the get-go.

Something that came very close to a great hub mechanism were the CD cases used for the Gold "Ultradisc" series. They utilized a hinge/lever type of hub that did a really good job of only allowing the disc to be removed when you wanted it to. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

None of this will stop me from investing in BluRay discs, but still, it's really lame. Anyhow, enough said, I made my point...I'm happy with the discs themselves, and that's the important thing.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:51 am

Krokodyle wrote:Something that came very close to a great hub mechanism were the CD cases used for the Gold "Ultradisc" series. They utilized a hinge/lever type of hub that did a really good job of only allowing the disc to be removed when you wanted it to. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

Hey, these are my favorites too! Pretty cool and the discs sure couldn't come off in the closed case!
The mechanism is simple and it look's cool too.

Anybody know a source where you could buy these cases empty?

Have a better one,
Martin
<<

jfuste

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 pm

US DVD Briefings: 5034, 13671 and 18775
US HD DVD 76972
US Blue Ray 100519
And my two Spanish editions, not numbered at all.
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:53 pm

hey guys, not sure if this has yet been addressed, but i noticed (quite through bumbling around on the amazon BR page) that there was an issue with disc #5:
NOTE: A small number of Blade Runner 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition briefcase gift sets and Blade Runner 5-Disc Complete Collector's Editions in the Blu-ray format may contain an incorrect disc #5 labeled The Work Print. In some cases disc #5 does not have the work print content but rather the content of Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is already included in the collector's set as disc #1. The only way to recognize the error is to play disc #5 and go to the Special Features page. If you see one commentary track by Paul M. Sammon, the disc is correct. If you see three commentary tracks, then they have an incorrect disc. To receive a correct replacement Blu-ray disc #5, please call Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937.

popped mine in and sure enough ... i was one of those with said "error." anyway, i called, they handled it in a minute to Amazon's credit, and mine arrived a couple of days later. however, looks like its up to you to detect the problem. so check this one. cool thing is they let you keep the defective disc so this might become a collector as often flubs can be a cool thing too (in the limited edition sense).

best,
photek

http://www.amazon.com/Runner-Five-Disc- ... B000UBMWG4
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:37 pm

A collector's item...it's possible. But DVD defects like that are really more of an annoyance than anything.

I'm probably wrong.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:32 pm

no, i think you are correct. luckily i hadn't got through the set yet, so it was a minor annoyance. but i would have been miffed had i planned to watch it before finding this out. i guess i was just waxing positive on my misfortune! :)
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

Feyhra

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:36 pm

2063 / 2500 BD

Disc 1,3 & 5 all Blu-Ray. Disc 2 & 4 region 1 DVD.

From USA via Germany to UK, from Amazon Marketplace. All I need now is a BD-ROM drive and hardware that will handle those kind of bitrates.. :D
It's my heart. It feels like an alligator.
<<

Ford GT

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:41 pm

After taking a break awhile from the movie, I've dug out my set and started watching it again. Watched the original version for the first time in ages, most of disc 4 and the workprint today.

Whenever I do upgrade to bluray, I'll look into getting just the 2 disc version.
<<

NMMan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:14 am

The only available version for Blu-Ray is the 5-disc. The 2 and 4-disc sets were only released for standard DVD.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Ford GT wrote:After taking a break awhile from the movie, I've dug out my set and started watching it again. Watched the original version for the first time in ages, most of disc 4 and the workprint today.

Whenever I do upgrade to bluray, I'll look into getting just the 2 disc version.

A very good point from NMMan above.
And... What are you watching, Ford GT?.. HDDVD? Because that's the only version, other than Blu-ray, that contains the Workprint.
Or maybe you have a bootleg, I dunno :? I'm confused
ImageImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut