FAQ  •  Login

Frank Darabont's theory

<<

NMMan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Frank Darabont's theory

Frank Darabont's theory in the special features of the new set are intelligent and make sense (e.g. "The film is about a man's journey to rediscover his humanity...at the end of the film after Batty's final speech he's whole again, a man, etc."). Though I still believe he's a replicant, Mr. Darabont has given me some food for thought.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:15 pm

It good that we get a balance of differing opinions.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:43 am

who knows... "analitically" speaking, the film makes clear he's a Replicant. but being BR a romantic movie after all, it leads the viewer hope he's human.

i also read somewhere the Deckard could even be a Replicant with Gaff's memories implanted, because of Gaff's leg injury that keeps him to be a Blade Runner anymore. this would explain how Gaff knows where to find Deckard at any moment, and what Deckard is thinking (and representing it with origamis). interesting point...
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Planta wrote:I also read somewhere the Deckard could even be a Replicant with Gaff's memories implanted, because of Gaff's leg injury that keeps him to be a Blade Runner anymore. this would explain how Gaff knows where to find Deckard at any moment, and what Deckard is thinking (and representing it with origamis). interesting point...

Wow, that's news to me and an incredible theory.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Maybe the unicorn is Sebastian's memory since his character made mythical beings and he had a unicorn in his loft. He had to get the memories from somewhere, and he may have had a few people to pick from. It may also expalain why Deckard is kind of timid when it comes to killing, more than his job experience would. Just a thought of course. ;)
<<

Largo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:51 pm

I consider Frank Darabont the voice of reason in this particular debate. I totally agree with his comments that this Deckard as replicant interpretation is not truly supported by the film's narrative structure. I'm sorry, but no amount of unicorn grafts are going to alter my particular views on Blade Runner.
Rachael is smokin' !!!
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 am

Planta wrote:who knows... "analitically" speaking, the film makes clear he's a Replicant. but being BR a romantic movie after all, it leads the viewer hope he's human.

i also read somewhere the Deckard could even be a Replicant with Gaff's memories implanted, because of Gaff's leg injury that keeps him to be a Blade Runner anymore. this would explain how Gaff knows where to find Deckard at any moment, and what Deckard is thinking (and representing it with origamis). interesting point...

Considering the deleted scenes, this would not make sense. Gaff dearly wants to be promoted to the position that Deckard occupies. This clearly implies that he is not yet a Blade Runner.

The deletion also points to the idea that Gaff is the smartest of the police. He understands clearly what the Replicants want. He calls Bryant an idiot in Japanese during the Holden interview because Bryant can't grasp the Replicant motives.

Ignoring the deletions:In all versions of the film, Gaff is mentally ahead of Deckard. He goes so far as to be able to retrieve Deckard's gun even though Deckard does not tell anyone where he is.

The obvious problem this causes is, that intellectually, the two opposing minds would be Gaff VS Tyrell. Since this is too confusing and off center for the story, it had to be made Deckard VS Batty. Which it is.

The explanation for the unicorn is clear...Deckard sampled Rachael's implant. We already know he did because he told her as much. Since Gaff is way ahead of Deckard, it is obvious that Gaff also sampled the implant.

It wasn't Deckard's unicorn...it was Rachael's! This is made clear in the FC as Deckard's eye are now open when he thinks about it...and the Replicants he is chasing.

The Origami was a communication between Gaff and Deckard. Deckard nods because he gets the message.

And the reason Gaff lets Rachael go is due to his own ambition. If Rachael lives, then Deckard runs away. When Deckard is gone, Gaff becomes the top Blade Runner!

BTW, years before Darabont's interview, I have also held the minority opinion that a Replicant Deckard drains all meaning from the story.

After all, who cares who wins in a battle of super androids?
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:42 pm

I care, My name is Andy after all :)

My theory is, is that they can implant memories into humans too, and they do so to Deckard in order to get him to think he is a replicant and "Run" to lead them to the hidden replicant sanctuary. ;)

Another theory is that World War Terminus is started by two religious groups that differ on the idea on whether Mercer is human or not.
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Well, if we follow PKD's lead the whole "war story" is a hoax.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Or it means he's a lower rank in Rep-Detect.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Masao wrote:Well, if we follow PKD's lead the whole "war story" is a hoax.

Wrong book.
<<

ZG1000-A20

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Frank Darabont's theory

NMMan wrote:Frank Darabont's theory in the special features of the new set are intelligent and make sense (e.g. "The film is about a man's journey to rediscover his humanity...at the end of the film after Batty's final speech he's whole again, a man, etc."). Though I still believe he's a replicant, Mr. Darabont has given me some food for thought.

+1.
<<

jfuste

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 am

It's wonderful to see how "new" theories appears year after year....

Scott's assertion of Deck-a-rep was a true error. He stops, or pretend to stop this line of thinking. 25 years of controversy cannot be erased with a simple "who talks about Deckard as human is a moron" from his part.

I ALLWAYS BELIEVE that Deckard IS a human. A rare one, perhaps. Alcoholic perhaps... ? yeah... or true one... He drinks all the time... then... their toughts can be anything... Well, I don't wanna argue nothing... Deck is a human for me. If I wanna see ture love in the movie, Deck must be a human. If not, a terrific patchwork made from scripts is the base for a neverending deck-human question. For ever. :)
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 am

Like Hampton Fancher said..."it isn't the answer that matters, it is the question" If we don't question and redefine our own Humanity as a result, the movie fails in that point.

Andy
<<

ZG1000-A20

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:33 am

The first time I wrestled with the arguement of "Deckard's a replicant" my first reaction was denial, that he was human. But after seeing the clips of Gaff saying "You've done a man's job, sir...but are you really a man?" It challenged me into re-thinking my position on it. Might not be completely sold on it still, but definitely created food for thought.

But in the end - regardless of whether he is a replicant or not, I definitely believe in what Frank Darabont's opinion of what Gaff was trying to say with the origami unicorn - It was his way of saying "Take her and run. I won't follow you. And I hope you're both happy."
Next

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?