Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

pagir

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:14 am

Holden and Rachael cigarettes

Hello,

It is proved that cigarettes used by Ridley Scott were corn paper Boyards.
These french cigarettes are no long manufactured, but it is possible to buy in France some corn paper cigarettes: the "Gitanes papier maïs" http://queenloana.wikispaces.com/space/ ... itanes.JPG
that are made by Altadis (venture between the spanish Valisclosa and the french SEITA societies).
These cigarettes, Gitanes and Boyards were very popular during the fist half of the 20th century, but today not a lot of customers smoke them: they have a very strong taste which is no longer very appreciated.
Best regards.
Pascal
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:51 pm

Greetings, pagir. And welcome.
I've smoked Gitanes while I was in Europe. But never had the opportunity to try the ones with corn paper, unfortunately. I had the Blondes...
I've enjoyed Gauloises Blondes on several occasions, as well.
About a month and a half ago, in early December, I even bought some Marlboro's made in France. The funny thing was... I got them while in Greece (Thessaloniki). They were completely awful, but the reason for that was because they were very stale, tasted like they had been stored with other products (perfume maybe), and I got them from these old ladies selling them on the street very cheap. 10.oo euro :lol:
Oh, did I mention that I think they were stolen? 8-[
ImageImageImage
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm

"'I've enjoyed Gauloises Blondes on several occasions, as well. "

So have I. It's a great smoke.

But those corn paper ones look intense.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:38 pm

I said it before, I'll say it again: the rolling paper that is close to the proper color is easily found if you go to one of those "colorful" smoke shops that are relics of the '60s and '70s. (Do not mention the more common name for the cranium or for Vietnamese water pipes or any word for any contraband substance if you don't want to get thrown out.)

The papers you want are made of industrial hemp. No, nothing psychoactive about them, folks...this is what is used to make clothing and paper and whatnot with. Perfectly legal products. They are a light beigy brown. One brand name is "Hempire." I would think that a bamboo roller (sort of like a sushi roll "sudare" but much smaller) would get you the effect you want. The Gauloise doesn't look like it has a filter so there would be no need to mickey mouse something that looks like a filter.

It's available on the Net if you don't want to darken the door of a "smoke shop" but don't even try ordering if you are in Pennsylvania. They won't sell you anything. They don't want to end up like Tommy Chong who did time for selling an item to a Pennsylvania address that would be legal to send anywhere else in the US.

Anyway, hope this helps...
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:01 am

Oh, I hate the smoke and it was a real trauma for me to work in offices full of smoke before the prohibition law in France.

For me, the scene where Rachel is smoking is just a nice effect under the light and shadow. She looks ghostly as her image disappears with the cloud of tobacco and expresses a stress through it.
My mime gallery about Rachel (for friends, not as registered artist):
http://www.zimagez.com/galerie/Miming-o ... 0761-0.php
<<

Tryfan915

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:15 am

I watched Alien yesterday and it seems that the screens from the spinner and the background noise in Deckard's department aren't the only things to turn up in Blade Runner.

The cigarettes smoked by Lambert look like the same brand smoked in Blade Runner.
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 am

I guess Ridley really had his mind on a certain atmosphere...especially one created by the characters themselves! :D

Return to Blade Runner Round Table