FAQ  •  Login

Gregory Peck's endorsement of Blade Runner.

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:52 pm

Gregory Peck's endorsement of Blade Runner.

In Paul Sammon's book "Future Noir" there was an interesting bit of trivia regarding actor Gregory Peck, who had written a letter endorsing Blade Runner. After he had read the script he was motivated to give Blade Runner attention because he felt the movie was addressing important environmental concerns.

As a piece of history about this film, I'd really like to see a copy of this letter! It is unfortunate this was not mentioned in the "Dangerous Days documentary of the Final Cut Collectors set...
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes. I remember searching the internet for a copy of this letter. No luck. Perhaps someone connected with the Peck estate has a connection. It would be interesting to read.
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:48 am

Here's part of an article that mentions it:

Actor Gregory Peck -- who read the script and, though not wanting to star, felt strongly about its themes -- provided a letter that helped open doors for producer Michael Deeley. This led to director Robert Mulligan and Universal Pictures becoming briefly attached; they and the producers soon agreed to part ways, and Scott, hot off ALIEN, signed on. Initial financing came from Filmways, which pulled out prior to principal photography. A hastily arranged marriage of The Ladd Company, Tandem Productions and financier Sir Run Run Shaw stepped in, with Warner Bros. to distribute.
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am

Does anyone here have the connections to begin a search for this? IT would be a cool letter to read and maybe get a scan of.

:D
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I SO would LOVE to see this. [-o<

Return to Blade Runner Round Table