What Version of BR did Vangelis got ?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:51 pm

What Version of BR did Vangelis got ?

When Ridley Scott has finished the editing of the movie he gave a version to Vangelis that made the score for it. As you know Vangelis did go over frame by frame and write the music to it.

The opening title track seems to be fitting to the waterdrop intro that was shown in the deleted scenes. You can hear some instruments that are simulating the waterdrops. What do you think about this?

There is a strange soundtrack (unofficial) listed on vangelis discogs page that has some pictures from the deleted scenes in the booklet and 17 Scores instead of 12. What tracks are special on this CD? Are the exclusive tracks also on the new 2007 soundtrack release ?

http://www.discogs.com/release/279368
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=279368

are there more of this on the internet? The shot of LEON is pretty cool

were there any more tracks from Vangelis written for this movie and ridley made out a selection or are they featured all now on CD2 (blade runner sountrack 2007) ?
<<

elbiolin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:17 am

This cd is mostly a copy of the OWM from 1993:

http://www.anunna.net/vangelis-rarities ... ode1&id=27

About more discs like this, you have a reference on the same site:

http://www.anunna.net/vangelis-rarities ... leur=blade
Last edited by elbiolin on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 am

ok, which Version did Vangelis got ? I mean the intro track sounds really like he was having the waterdrops intro.
<<

elbiolin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:51 pm

I didn't see those scenes that you talk about but it makes pretty sense since there's an echo after most drum beat.

About Leon's shot from the Voight-Kampff machine eye point of view it's indeed great.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 pm

I'm sure he got to see multiple versions of scenes when he scored the film. The music is basedo n the scenes he saw.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

top buzz

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:12 pm

elbiolin wrote:I didn't see those scenes that you talk about but it makes pretty sense since there's an echo after most drum beat.

About Leon's shot from the Voight-Kampff machine eye point of view it's indeed great.

just watch the beginning of the deleted scenes...

if somebody could scan it would be gladful (shot of leon)
<<

mythrenegade

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Perhaps Vangelis saw the deleted scenes, and threw in the sound you mention as an homage to the alternate opening title sequence...

Joel
<<

Corkus721

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Vangelis and BR Music

I recall (a Total Recall??) that the reason Vangelis did NOT make a CD of the film music originally was that he didn't like (some/most) what he had done. There are obvious exceptions. Some tracks were 'hijacked' from earlier albums (Memories of Green, etc), which he did like, but some he has stated as saying that there were not his best efforts.

It was only after years of continued sales sucess of the 1982 'The New Amercian Orchestra' release of the soundtrack that he decided he should reap some benefit from his own music. The Vangelis relase is dated 1994.

Don't get me wrong, I am not critising his music, in fact I am a huge fan and absolutely love everything he has done since 'La Fete Sauvage' and 'See You Later', that was when he started to get over his early and horrible 'weird' phase. :?
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:34 am

Re: Vangelis and BR Music

Corkus721 wrote:I recall (a Total Recall??) that the reason Vangelis did NOT make a CD of the film music originally was that he didn't like (some/most) what he had done. There are obvious exceptions. Some tracks were 'hijacked' from earlier albums (Memories of Green, etc), which he did like, but some he has stated as saying that there were not his best efforts.

If true, perhaps it was a case of the artist "being too close to his work"...meaning, he couldn't possibly perceive his work from an objective standpoint. It certainly wouldn't be the first time an artist thought what they had done was sub-standard, only to have it received very well. ;)

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut