Oddities with the new 5-disc version of the Director's Cut

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 am

Oddities with the new 5-disc version of the Director's Cut

OK. First, when we have the slow zoom on Deck, "If I Didn't Care" is playing, briefly...which should be workprint only, right? Maybe this was just too subtle in the old discs for me to notice. Seems to be in the FC.

Next, when the dude opens the door for Gaff and Deck to check out Leon's room, he says "Kowalski"...isn't that Final Cut and Workprint only?

Oh, this one kinda blows my mind... during the Deckard/Rachel "Love Scene," from 01:09:45 till 01:10:13 "Desolation Path" aka alternate workprint only love theme plays...wow?

Finally, at 01:52:18 to 01:52:20, or there abouts, the music sounds like its about to go into either the lift-off music from the workprint or the happy ending music, and then abruptly changes to the end titles music.

I've watched the old DC DVDs God-knows how many times, and I've never noticed these things...

This isn't a complaint post...just one of curious confusion. This is the HD-DVD version, btw.

Now that I think about it, this is really really cool. This is like, awesome on another level of awesomeness. I love this stuff. I really really do. Its like, heres another surprise man!

It's great.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 am

I just checked out my HD-DVD of those scenes in the Director's Cut including the violin strings at the end and can confirm these. Interestingly the 2.0 Track on the same disc doesn't have this and is what I heard on the old VHS, '97 DVD and '06 DVD. So it seems only the 5.1 Dolby digital track is affected. This is an odd....
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:21 am

I just checked my regular dvd, and it's got the same problems (except maybe 'If I Didn't Care', which I couldn't really hear amid all the noise of that scene. Though it makes sense to be there, if the others are. Are you talking about the White Dragon scene?)

You should email this info to the Digital Bits, they'd definitely investigate with Warner.

I don't think I ever would've gotten around to watching this version... glad I kept my '06 DC dvd! :)

(edit: also, the delivery of the line "let's go to the Colonies!" sounds different, and is followed immediately by some pretty prominent Asian string plucking that I don't remember hearing before... Workprint?)
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

jaydubya

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I've just skimmed through my 95' UK VHS of the DC and compared it with the UK Ultimate Edition DVD and as far as I can tell the 2.0 track is identical and the only differences in the 5.1 seem to be the prescence of "Kowalski" and the abrubt cut to the End Title music (on the 2.0 track it is more of a quick cross fade).

I thought "One More Kiss Dear" was supposed to replace "If I Didn't Care", if so all I can hear is "One More Kiss Dear". And the music during the love scene seems to be the same (however it is difficult to use your timings as a guide as they don't match the UK edition because we use a different frame rate to the US).

JW
That's the spirit!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:28 pm

I. J. Thompson, good idea. I just sent off an email to them. I'll see what kind of response I get.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut