Little flaw in BRFC

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

doc

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 am

Little flaw in BRFC

First let me say HI to this great community around Blade Runner. I have found this forum just some time ago and after winning the fight over my laziness I have registered :D

With that said, I hope this haven't been posted already. I have noticed this little flaw in the final cut of BR - at the end, when Roy is pulling Deck up, it's clearly visible that the nail in Roy's hand is glued with some tape thing :) Pity that they didn't notice this in the restoration process and fix this too. But really, this is just a little flaw on the really great FC.

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 am

The fixed like 1000 things...

and then someone says they missed the glue.

Should I laugh or cry or what?

Welcome to BladeZone.

I mean, GLUE for christ's sake...glue...

Damn. I need sleep.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:28 pm

C'mon... if this post didn't show up, this wouldn't be the BladeZone RoundTable we all know and love, would it?
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

doc

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Deleted, that almost hurt :)

It really was not meant to offend anyone who has worked hard on Final Cut and BR in general. I love BR and now FC is my most favourite version. I really appreciate all the hard work that went into the movie and I appreciate the limited collectors edition with briefcase and all the stuff inside.
I just thought that this is the right place for such little and interesting discoveries. And btw, it's not just some tiny glue somewhere hard to spot, it's clearly visible (particulary in HD) tape of circular shape on an extreme close up shot of a hand. But I really don't mean anything bad, offensive or unthankful with that.

Centauro - that's the spirit that was the reason I have posted this.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah I know you had no ill will doc. I hadn't actually ever noticed that until you said something.

Could've been worse, though...they could've actually put the nail through his hand.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Vampire Knight

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Interesting spot man, that certainly is a basic flaw.

But hey, its the trivia, or more specifically the goofs, that give films a sort of charm :)

Deleted: Perhaps im missing something here (entirely possible as i am new) or were you almost offended that he brought up such a flaw? Its not like the guy is complaining or whining here, hes merely passing on an observation.

Doc: No need to apologise man, we shouldn't shoot the messenger. I really think these sort of things are intriguing (we are, after all, human - We strive for perfection, yet it is imperfection that makes us).
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:59 pm

I file this under what Charles calls a "beloved flaw". Only Noticable when watching the movie for the umpteenth time as close to the screen as you can get :). Something only the fans would really see. I think it is cool BTW
<<

Vampire Knight

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:34 pm

ridleynoir wrote:I file this under what Charles calls a "beloved flaw". Only Noticable when watching the movie for the umpteenth time as close to the screen as you can get :)

That brings back the good old childhood cartoon memories :lol:
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:03 pm

Hilarious first post bro!!! There is nothing wrong with it!!! It's the beauty of this new 4000-bit master. Imagine the "flaws" we could find if we could watch it in a Theater over and over again.

Heck, HD viewers will probably be able to zoom in clearer with their 1080p TVs and find more "flaws".
<<

doc

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:08 am

I'm happy now that I know that you don't mind I have posted this.
I guess my problem is that my english is not yet at a level which would allow me to distinguish finer nuances of certain words in certain situations :D . Like the word flaw, maybe it sounds like error or failure of some kind. Maybe I should use "glitch" instead.

Anyway, BR is really a wonderful movie. Even though I know only a very few people who are fans of BR and maybe know BR at all, it is really cool when you meet someone who you don't know, and at one point you discover that you both are fans of BR. Instantly you can feel how much friendlier you are :D
<<

Rainman

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:48 am

flaw

one flaw i had always noticed from way back when i saw it on VHS and laserdisc is the scene when we see the interior of the spinner as it spirals down to the police station tower. They re-used footage of a panning shot view of the buildings which they already had shown earlier in that segment. I'm still bothered they didn't correct this:

ImageImage
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:55 pm

How would you change it? It's the result of clever editing and use of resources.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Rainman

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:34 pm

clever editing

Yes it is clever. That's why it works. Having video copies of movies has allowed fans though to see the finer details. We actually learn editing techniques in spotting these errors. So unless there is extra footage of the correct miniatures with a panning motion, i obviously wouldn't know how to fix it. :D
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:30 am

Actually, we did change that shot slightly, in order to reduce the repetition. I'll leave it to others to identify what was changed.
<<

Rainman

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 am

spinner view

hmm they appear to be the same, but the Director's cut shows the very prominent radar dish on the corner of the building
lit by the scanning spotlight, where as the Final cut shows it to be dark and shadowed. With these direct
dvd frame grabs, I also realized the Final cut shows more picture area. Note the "Off-World" sign partly
showing at left. This of course may or may not be cropped on your monitor.

Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut