FAQ  •  Login

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

Which BRFC DVD Edition will you buy?

BR THE FINAL CUT SPECIAL EDITION (2-DISC)
2%
BR COLLECTOR'S EDITION (4-DISC)
5%
BR ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION (5-DISC)
71%
BR HD-DVD / BLU-RAY EDITION (5-DISC)
21%

Total votes : 56
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 pm

deleted wrote:I'll take a look at that Tyrell poem.

Meanwhile, if you actually DO find White Dawn, PLEASE let me know. I can't find it.

oh man, the 19th is soooooo close!

The song was commissioned for The World Liberty Concert, held on 8 May 1995 and commemorated the 50th anniversary of VE-Day, the liberation of Europe. The venue for the concert was Arnhem, the Netherlands.

A portion of the audio here:
http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/s ... t-dawn.mp3

There is this video segment, the last part of White Dawn, available:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JuUAhOVtGZM

The Mp3 was available...but was taken off. You could try contacting the website owner for access. (Let me know if you have any success.) I'll keep looking.
http://www.neurotoxin.net/~djames/app/mp3.html

(Sorry folks...a tad off topic)
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:49 pm

What did the monkey say when his tail was caught in the fan?

Just checked out my UPS tracking # and my BR is out for delivery in my city!

Won't be long now...

Now a moment of silence for those poor fellows still waiting for their BR to arrive. :|
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:18 pm

I've been staying away while I waited until today to finally open my briefcase set (apparently it arrived on the 18th, pretty good for free shipping).

I was very pleased overall until I took out the discs for a closer look. My workprint disc has quite a few marks on the read surface, including two large scratches. I haven't had the chance to test the disc out, but I'm not happy about the prospect of having to return the whole set if this disc (the entire reason I went for the briefcase set in the first place) doesn't work properly.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:48 pm

Merc wrote:I was very pleased overall until I took out the discs for a closer look. My workprint disc has quite a few marks on the read surface, including two large scratches.

Cheer up, fear not: I had (rare) DVDs delivered to me from around the globe before with scratches (sometimes they got loose in the case!) on them. Since about 10 years (since DVDs are around ;-)) I use the same soft cloth, which was designed for eyeglasses, a little breath and wiping from center to edge in all directions, that's it.

Never had a problem using them in good DVD players or properly calibrated DVD drives.

If errors cropped up, they were due to faulty players/drives not the other way around... ;-)

I had a problem once with one of those old, large DVD jewel cases in that postal service managed to punch through (!) the then broken case onto the surface of the disc. Of course this wasn't a mere scratch anymore and consequently playback completely froze around that area...

Bye,
Martin
Last edited by martinland on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:50 am

I've taken the time to watch the workprint, its commentary and the feature on the fifth disc and everything seems to be working fine.

Did anyone else have some dark/light (and some times greenish tinted) bars near the top and bottom of the frame on the workprint? It's probably just that way for everybody because of the rough state of the print, but I'd just like to make sure.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:54 am

It's called "banding." It's an inherent flaw in the Workprint. It was even worse before the new transfer was done.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:08 am

I noticed that too. I find stuff like that fascinating.

So, when the intro does the wipe showing the difference between the unrestored version and restored version, is the band the result of the black bars getting a significant alteration? Does this have to do with that whole 35mm being transferred to 70mm for theater runs...

Am I getting things confused?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:44 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:It's called "banding." It's an inherent flaw in the Workprint. It was even worse before the new transfer was done.

Thank you for the info. I'm glad to see that everything is working fine on my workprint disc :D
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:28 pm

Finally...my 5-disk briefcase is winging its way to me. From Seattle, WA. I broke down and ordered it from Amazon. If the other copy comes, it's going on eBay, and I will make a donation to the Rutger Hauer Starfish Foundation (AIDS/HIV charity started by the Mighty Mr. R) in honor of whomever buys the briefcase.

If I'm really, really lucky, I will get to watch the Workprint as Richie and I ring in the New Year. 8)
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:30 pm

msgeek wrote:Finally...my 5-disk briefcase is winging its way to me. From Seattle, WA. I broke down and ordered it from Amazon. If the other copy comes, it's going on eBay, and I will make a donation to the Rutger Hauer Starfish Foundation (AIDS/HIV charity started by the Mighty Mr. R) in honor of whomever buys the briefcase.

If I'm really, really lucky, I will get to watch the Workprint as Richie and I ring in the New Year. 8)

Great to hear! And...good idea. :wink:
<<

synthbent

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 pm

I've been dying for the 5 disc briefcase since I first heard about it. But today I was at best buy with a $25 gift card that I got for Christmas, and I saw the 4 disc edition. I couldn't help myself and I bought it. I am still dying to get the briefcase though, maybe I'll buy it too...
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:32 am

Charlie, I was just wondering about those black bars that were there on the original footage compared to the restored footage. How were you guys able to gain the picture back in this area?
Last edited by Sam on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:09 am

I don't really know anything about film restoration, but from what I can remember, the original 35mm print was cropped for the 70mm presentations. I don't know how relevant that is.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

protectadeck

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:38 am

BR796164 wrote:Somehow I think the 4-DVD Edition is a hit-and-miss sidekick and won't be as succesful as other editions. Common people will be satisfied with cheap FCSE, while real geeks won't be satisfied with anything less than the UCE. But the 4-Disc Edition may prove useful later when all UCEs will be sold out. And it may happen rather very soon at this rate of interest...

I consider getting FCSE for common use, but later, as my XMas budget has its limits.

Planta, you lucky man. Wish I had a GF who's into BR, sigh.
:?: I bought the 4 disc br and i must say that I like the unicorn scene from the directors cut better than the final cut because it looks like he fell asleep instead of day dreaming ,does anyone have any say on this..? I even thought the unicorn shot was better in the directors cut but the final as a whole was some kind of accomplishment with the colors twisted into a new shade .
<<

pris25

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!! I bought the 2 disc editon thinking I was going to get the final cut and the 1982 theatrical version. It was only after I bought it that I realized I was only getting the Final Cut and that I should've bought the 4 disc addition! To add insult to injury it would've only been about $10 more for the disc addition. So now I am going to search E-bay for the 1982 version or just accept failure and buy the 4 disc addition. DAMMIT!!!! :x
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut