BladeZoners' last thoughts pre-12/18/2007

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Cold Fish wrote:Los Angeles, 2007

OK. Maybe it will come unannounced, then. Still, "what a way to run a railroad," as one of Warner Bros' great old stars Bugs Bunny would put it.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:56 am

sorry to hear that about your husband, msgeek. but glad things are getting better :D
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:07 pm

msgeek wrote: Last year, my husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a blood cancer somewhat similar to leukemia and lymphoma. Around January it looked like he was going to freaking DIE. Then members of my family helped him get into treatment at City of Hope.

Today, Richie is thriving. He got monoclonal antibody treatment at CoH and that knocked out the cancer. While the myeloma was on the ropes, with numbers close to normal, he was given a stem cell transplant. It's been 3 months since the transplant and things are proceeding amazingly well.

Hello folks, just got back home after a week's vacation in the Twin Cities; had a great time, but the hilarious truth of the matter is I'd've had WAY more time to spend with the BR DVD set & posting feedback on BZ if I'd just stayed home in Madison :wink: Apologies for the delay in getting back to this thread; I had no laptop or cellphone with me (yeah, I'm a hopelessly Thoreau-esque Luddite), so I was resigned to stopping by the side-door coffee shop's public computer in a local library for 15 minutes every morning to arrange meeting up with friends that day. But, moving right along.

Before I move on to postings in other BZ threads, I just wanted to send out a message of thanks this holiday season to the health and well-being of everyone who means the most to us in our lives. I just got back from a week's worth of drinking, dining, carousing, movie-&-theater-going and hanging out with many such people in my own life. But I'm also very thankful to have just spent the last hour catching up on all "Special Edition - Final Cut" discussions from the last week, and can't wait to keep devouring the new DVD set and sharing our thoughts about it in the coming weeks and months.

Msgeek, my very sincere thanks for sharing your and your husband's story, and so glad to hear that his condition has stabilized and hopefully completely reversed. That makes all other things (BR-related, etc.) truly pale in comparison. I just visited a longtime friend in Minneapolis, a painter (as it happens, named Rachel) who actually lost her husband two years ago to a very similar condition; he was only 40. She really did miraculously well in the aftermath, but I was still totally honored and grateful to have known her at that time in her life, and be able to encourage her to stay strong and keep living her life fully, at her own pace and her own time. I finally met her new boyfriend last week (they've been together for 6 months now), and he's an immensely talented, intelligent, affectionate and friendly guy with a hilariously twisted sense of humor. He does art-direction work for several local theaters in the Twin Cities...and he even knows how to read tea leaves :shock:

Happy Hannukah / Christmas / Kwanzaa / BR Ultimate Collection season to all of you and your loved ones :D
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:03 am

Well, some thoughts before I actually view the FC:

I was disappointed by the DC. It was a great chance to fix all the little problems that plagued the film. The total lack of regard for the integrity of the film was shocking. More shocking was the groundswell of fans of the DC! As part of the original audience and a reader of the original story; I wondered why this film was so choppy and had such gaping holes in it. Some were just a matter of curiosity like why did Deckard stared at the sequined dress for so long and others were more substantial like the number of Replicants.

I don't expect a completely different movie since it still runs the same length, but I'm hoping that some of the problems would be ironed out unlike with SW.

A word about Amazon. Very impressed (OK, two words) I expected them to deliver around the time of their estimates (Dec 29). After all, I requested the free delivery option.

Delivery was the 24th...even using the post office!

Very impressed!
<<

wilbe

BladeZone Owner/Manager

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:41 am

PRE-FC

Seeing the Final Cut on the Big screen is of course the best way to see any film. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised even on the small screen.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Re: PRE-FC

wilbe wrote:Seeing the Final Cut on the Big screen is of course the best way to see any film. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised even on the small screen.

Hells yeah. The best time I had at the movies in a long time was seeing BR at the Arlington Theatre in Santa Barbara. Great audio system, great projection (even if it only was 2K instead of 4K like at The Landmark) and a gorgeous Spanish Revival movie palace.

Really, if you haven't The Final Cut on the big screen, you haven't seen it. End of story.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

Tryfan915

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:55 pm

msgeek wrote:Really, if you haven't The Final Cut on the big screen, you haven't seen it. End of story.

Stop! Stop! You're making me cry. :cry:
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Tryfan915 wrote:
msgeek wrote:Really, if you haven't The Final Cut on the big screen, you haven't seen it. End of story.

Stop! Stop! You're making me cry. :cry:

Well, actually seeing it on the big screen can make you cry too.

But in a good way.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut