DVD featurettes

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:45 pm

DVD featurettes

Okay, I've just finished watching the featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel Versus the Film, and it was so lovingly put together and informative, I now realize I'm going to have to take my time going through the extras just to savor them. There's no way I'm going to rush through everything at once in some kind of marathon viewing. (I'm actually going to save a lot of the extras to watch with my brother at Christmas, a longtime BR fan.)

Charles, you get extra points for including Tim Powers, one of today's best fantasy-Sf authors and of course a close friend of PKD.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:21 pm

As an aside, it's impressive that the Electric Dreamer: Author Phillip K. Dick featurette says more about PKD (minus the sensationalism) in 14 minutes than The Gospel According to Philip K. Dick does in an hour and a half.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 pm

I hate to ask this, but for some reason the "Play All" selection for the PKD interviews default only to the Introduction no matter how many times I tried, so I had to listen to the interview piecemeal. Is it just my player or is this a minor gaff?
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:21 pm

deepysea wrote:I hate to ask this, but for some reason the "Play All" selection for the PKD interviews default only to the Introduction no matter how many times I tried, so I had to listen to the interview piecemeal. Is it just my player or is this a minor gaff?

Gaff, LOL.

I hope it clears itself up.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:12 pm

You know, for some reason it always bothered me that Rachael just happened to be passing through the same area of town that Deckard was in and that he spotted her in the crowd after shooting Zhora. So it was nice that Fancher offhandedly points out in his commentary that she knows Deckard's there...because he called her before. Duh!
<<

Starkiller

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:51 pm

All in all the quality and diversity of the featurettes rank amongst the highest ever released for a DVD, and should certainly be seen as a benchmark that all other studios/filmmakers should aspire to when putting together extra features packages.
"In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!"
<<

ramones70

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:47 pm

I just wish the 4 still galleries where on disc 4. I really enjoy the still galleries. If you read this Charles just wondering why the are not there.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:52 pm

ramones70 wrote:I just wish the 4 still galleries where on disc 4. I really enjoy the still galleries. If you read this Charles just wondering why the are not there.

I've heard it was space issues, but Warner might do something with them later.

I'd rather they take off the trailers for other movies on the Dangerous Days disc and replace them with the galleries.
-Ridley Scott
<<

citizenchris099

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:54 am

The features are crazed...i love em. They feel like the cut scenes from Dangerous Days. Dunno bout you guys but I went all nerd core and watched the doc and the features back to back. BAM! Loved every min of it.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:31 pm

deleted wrote:I'd rather they take off the trailers for other movies on the Dangerous Days disc and replace them with the galleries.

Yes!!! I'm seriously bummed about the lack of galleries, especially given the long-OOP nature of the fine BR art publications.

And as absolutely wonderful as the featurettes are, it would add nice variety if we could engage some extras in a different format (like clicking through at our own pace).
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:18 pm

I just want to say that if another disc came out with the art galleries, storyboards, scripts and such I would most certainly buy it. (hint hint ;) ) That goes for a book of these things too.

andy
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:49 pm

Absolutely, even if the content was offered for sale as download(s) on the WB site.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:06 am

ridleynoir wrote:I just want to say that if another disc came out with the art galleries, storyboards, scripts and such I would most certainly buy it.

it also would be cool to see scans of Charles notes about continuity and scenes to be modded or touched up or whatever, that he took for Ridley to choose. he talks about them on Disc 5 featurette "All Our Variant Future", and gives a glimpse of'em. just watched it last night and i loved how Charles was worried about what fans would be thinking of his/their restoring work, and also how concerned about treating every single frame and errors with great respect. an ordinary committee wouldn't have a clue about our "beloved" errors and how to tread them. i couldn't think of anyone better than Charles to give my fave movie to be restored and treated. how lucky we've been, guys! :D
<<

ramones70

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:15 am

I would pay for the extra discs myself to. I think Warner should make them availible for download. I would pay for it and they should make it able to burn to a dvd. I'd pay 20-40 dollars for that. I have been trying to get the Blade Runner Sketch Book for years. People wants hundreds for it. I wish Blue Dolphin would reprint or let another company do it.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:02 pm

Warner should make the galleries available for free. It was supposed to come with the DVDs that we all already bought. Perhaps if there was a way to make it available to the buyers of the discs...

I wonder if that was what they meant by the 360 HD-DVD promo stuff.
-Ridley Scott
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut