FAQ  •  Login

BladeZoners' last thoughts pre-12/18/2007

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:23 pm

BladeZoners' last thoughts pre-12/18/2007

Just wanted to say, it's been totally real getting to know all the BladeZoners here over the last several months, sharing our BR-related and non-BR-related stories and thoughts and memories and opinions with each other. Young and not-so-young, our beloved C.D. Lauzirika and everyone else -- meeting and chatting with everyone here has been an utter blast, and one of the great fan coming-togethers of my lifetime (although I certainly enjoy and respect SW, Star Trek, LOTR, etc., I'm not a bona-fide hardcore enthusiast of any of them, and have never joined in fan-site chats before this -- but this, this 6 year project that was really 25+ years in the making, this was more than worth being a part of; and it's been an honor and a privilege to communicate with everyone here).

I honestly never dreamed that any of us would be here -- did you?? The BR Ultimate Collection is the epitome of a pipe dream come true, the ultimate "what if?", something that me and my friends would geek out over in rabid speculation years ago even before the project was announced. And that it's now almost here for us North American BR devotees to explore and cherish and adore is almost too surreal - seriously, I'm partially convinced that I'll wake up tomorrow and the last few months will all have been a long, blissful online mirage; but for today, the Best Buy advertisement in the local paper for the Ultimate Collection is sweeter and more meaningful to me than any fortune cookie prophecy.

I'm out the door to catch one more matinee of the FC at the local Landmark theater in Minneapolis, but just wanted to once again (and I'm sure it won't be the last time) give thanks to Ridley Scott, Charles de Lauzirika, all BR-FC/Ultimate Collection cast & crew, the BladeZone website and its moderators, and all the rest of us BR & BZ afficionados and amigos, for making this the happiest holiday season ever. Can't wait to trade our thoughts and observations after Tuesday with all of you. 48 more hours, folks. See you all on the other side.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:18 pm

We're happy to have you. You've been a fine member here, and hell yes this five disc set is making me shit golden bricks.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

NMMan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:40 pm

I've been a loyal member of the cult so to speak since 2001, when I first saw the film (director's cut version). I fell in love with it immediately, and started to read about its complicated history in "Future Noir" and other written works. I had begun to hear rumblings of the ultimate collector's edition back in 2001, and was looking very much forward to acquiring it. The legal battles and red tape that followed for the next 5 years made it a tough time to be a BR fan, but the old cliche of good things coming to those who wait has certainly proven itself true this year.

The release of "The Final Cut", an expanded Vangelis soundtrack and the arrival at last of the ultimate collector's edition have made the film's 25th anniversary arguably its biggest and most memorable yet. I made the trip to New York City on opening day for "The Final Cut", and I will likewise be picking up the ultimate collector's edition on Tuesday. Thanks go out to everyone involved with the film itself, its massive restoration (huge thanks especially to you, Mr. de Lauzirika) and the ultimate collector's edition. Fellow fans, our time is now. In the words of that anonymous spinner cop, "have a better one." 8)
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Here's my thoughts on the matter:

Warner Bros. Home Video Direct have YET to give me shipping confirmation on my briefcase. It's the 11th hour. I thought by going direct I would have a chance to get it on the day of release. As it is, I will prolly have to go to Fried Electronics and buy a 4 disc set to tide myself over until WBHV gets off their fat, lard-laden asses to send me my copy. Maybe this will be an excuse to collect all three DVD versions to be fannish and completist.

And their freaking warehouse is in TENNESSEE. Not Burbank. Not anywhere near LA. Tenne-freaking-ssee.
:shock:

If I had only known, I would have ordered from Amazon. At least things from Amazon get here quick. :P

WBHV Direct: YOU FAIL IT.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:39 pm

i share your feelings MsGeek! mine is finally scheduled to arrive - a week after Xmas! keee-ryst. if it makes you feel any better - by then i will be somewhere on the Inca trail in Peru. so i dont get to crack into the greatest Christmas gift of all-time until i return long after new years!

i hope they sell Johnny Walker in Peru...
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

Cold Fish

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 pm

msgeek wrote:
If I had only known, I would have ordered from Amazon. At least things from Amazon get here quick. :P

WBHV Direct: YOU FAIL IT.

My Amazon orders . . . placed as soon as the release became available for pre-order . . . are not scheduled to arrive until after Christmas. Quick? Not exactly.
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:21 am

msgeek wrote:If I had only known, I would have ordered from Amazon. At least things from Amazon get here quick.

You bet!

Two days ago I said to myself: What the hell - I finally give in and pay for priority shipping to Austria. A bit of luxury fitting the occasion, right? :-)

They shipped yesterday afternoon from Phoenix, Arizona. Tracking page says it arrived in Louisville, Kentucky 8 hours ago! :shock:

ETA now is even December 20 instead of 21. :shock: :lol:

That 25 or something extra bucks really made a difference. Wow.
Money makes the briefcase go round the world... :roll:

Yippieh!

Have a better one (briefcase that is ;-)),
Martin
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:23 am

WBHV update.

They now want me to call back tomorrow afternoon if I don't get my DVD set.

If the damn thing doesn't show as shipped on WBHV's computers, it is a SAFE BET it ain't going to get here tomorrow.

Never again. Never again am I going to deal with WBHV Direct. There's one pissed-off BR fan here in Los Angeles.

I'm going to Borders on Wednesday if the damn thing doesn't show tomorrow. They have a 40% off list price for box sets coupon through Borders Rewards. Then again, they might sell out tomorrow.

This is hideously frustrating. This is how I'm rewarded for putting in my order in August, the first day I could. But this is Hollywood, where no good deed goes unpunished.

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! ](*,)
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Oh, dear msgeek, I have only one bit of advice for you: GIVE THANKS. It may be the last thing you want to hear right now, but I'm serious (and seriously Zen): give thanks. Give thanks, give thanks, give thanks. Give it give it give it give it give it. Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks. GiVe ThAnkS. It's almost here, and you will be seeing it just like everyone else here, maybe not on the eve of, but by the New Year it is a certain bet. So although your insides may be eating you alive right now (I know, been there, done that, countless times, re: movies, concerts, CD releases) - I'm serious, as an acquaintance who respects and admires you - WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER - so, yes, once again: GIVE THANKS. It is really, truly, almost here. Don't let WBHV put the kibbosh on your (and our) entire holiday spirit. Some people never lived to see this DVD set (@#$% PHILIP K. DICK never even lived to see the motherf*cking movie, think about that) - so, out of love, friendship, camaraderie, good will - let's not spend our time here bitching. The world doesn't have to revolve around a single UPS delivery; and fuming in adolescent impatience is unworthy of you, or this website's contributors. This is a week to celebrate, to bestow our appreciation and admiration and love and respect for what we are all about to receive (and I would gladly wait another ten years, or pay ten times the amount that I'll be paying tomorrow, just for the opportunity to live to SEE THINGS THAT WE WOULDN'T BELIEVE). What else, finally, is the movie's very last scene on the rooftop really about??? "Love every last minute of it, even the pain." Give thanks, give thanks, give thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy holidays to all, and to all a good night. Sweet, sweet BR dreams to each and every last one of you. Peace & thanks. And have one of the greatest weeks of our entire lives starting tomorrow (or whenever the DVD set reaches your doorstep).
<<

Cold Fish

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:42 pm

msgeek wrote:WBHV update.

Never again. Never again am I going to deal with WBHV Direct. There's one pissed-off BR fan here in Los Angeles.

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! ](*,)

Just got off the phone with a friend who called to announce that UPS delivered his briefcase today. He, too, had ordered from WBHV.

Hmm. Perhaps all it takes is a little faith?
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:52 pm

dmohrUSC: I have no shortage of gratitude. I am grateful more than you will ever know.

Last year, my husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a blood cancer somewhat similar to leukemia and lymphoma. Around January it looked like he was going to freaking DIE. Then members of my family helped him get into treatment at City of Hope.

Today, Richie is thriving. He got monoclonal antibody treatment at CoH and that knocked out the cancer. While the myeloma was on the ropes, with numbers close to normal, he was given a stem cell transplant. It's been 3 months since the transplant and things are proceeding amazingly well.

In the ultimate scheme of things, a freaking DVD set is pretty minor stuff. However, that doesn't make Warner Bros Home Video Direct's dropping the ball on my briefcase set any less annoying.

As it is, I will be purchasing a 4-DVD set at Borders. I have credit left over on a Borders gift card, and a 40% off coupon. I WILL see at least part of the set tomorrow. I won't have all the gewgaws, gimcracks and the Workprint, but at least I will be able to enjoy it while I wait for WBHV Direct to get their s**t together. I might eventually also get the two-DVD set to be totally completist.

So don't jump to conclusions, youngling. I have a lot to be grateful for, and practice gratitude daily. However, sometimes you just gotta vent. And also warning fellow fans away from a company you would expect would have their act together is important. Would I advise other people to order direct through WBHV Direct now? Of course not.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Cold Fish wrote:Just got off the phone with a friend who called to announce that UPS delivered his briefcase today. He, too, had ordered from WBHV.

And what region of the country is your friend in?
<<

Cold Fish

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Los Angeles, 2007
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm pi$$ed about Final Cut not showing in Denver on the 7th because Landmark scheduled it for a theater that was behind on construction. I would have made the 10 hour trek but I'll miss out on that. Hopefully it gets wider release and hits Kansas City.

I am thrilled at all the new goodies!!! I just picked up the Audiobook for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep a few weeks ago. I have Future Noir(Hardcover) coming from the UK. From Amazon I have the 3disc soundtrack and 5disc brief-case on the way. I can't wait to see the metal spinner model that comes with it. I almost dropped $150 for a fan-made spinner earlier this year.

I am really excited about seeing the International Cut and the Work Print. I'm sure the Final Cut will blow them all away.

I'm dissapointed in the changing of "Fucker" to "Father" in the Final Cut. But I understand, and can live with the decision.

Thanks to you guys, I am keeping my soundtrack bootlegs as apparently the new version of the soundtrack does not include everything on my bootlegs.

And I love the M2019 Blaster you guys pointed out earlier this year. It is the geekiest and possibly the coolest thing I own!!!

8)
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm new to these boards, but I've been a major BR fan since the mid-'80s (I was too young to see it in the theater) and have been dreaming and wringing my hands in anticipation of the Final Cut ever since I read the Bits' interview with Charles in August 2000.

Since then, I was temporarily sated by the beautiful Legend and Duellists releases, but the Final Cut has always been the ultimate dream Ridley Scott release. Hard to believe it's happened.
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut