FAQ  •  Login

New clips

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:To be honest, and not to make you guys feel bad, I feel blessed to be one of a very select handful of people on Earth to have seen all that footage. This job has been like attending the greatest film school in the world and seeing the raw dailies from Blade Runner might just be the highpoint of that experience. I never got tired of it. Ever.

(And to photek, and everyone else, thank you for the kind words. It means a lot to me.)

This is the best thing you could say to us! As fans we're the ones who are blessed to have you on this project, because for a time I thought Blade Runner would not get it's due on DVD. Thank you Charles for helping make this happen!
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:59 pm

Okay, back to this thread for all new clips I can find from here on out.

Check out this French clip re: the DVD - pretty basic stuff, until you get to the 2:02 mark - totally new shot of "Ridleyville." W...o...w.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb0t1cjywUE
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:10 pm

That shot of Roy in the phone booth really looks fantastic with the new background. :)
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:54 am

I also wanted to say that seeing the FC on the big screen a second time, I noticed how artfully the wooshing sound of the light beams in Deckard's apartment merge into the heavy breathing of the unicorn. Really wonderfully done and much less jarring than the DC edit.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:29 am

We also digitally stabilized the Unicorn's horn so it was less wobbly.

Oh, wait...SPOILER!!! :wink:
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Funnily enough, I never noticed the wobbling horn before.

Charles, this may be a stupid question, but are any of spinners newly CGI'd? (I think I recall you mentioning that the first one in the opening shot now appears much farther back than it did previously.) It may simply be Trumbull's aesthetic seen on the big screen, but I could've sworn the spinner that circles past the Coke ad now looks more "digital." If so, I wonder if this had something to do with icky '80s-era matte lines in the new 8K effects? It's really subtle in any case, and would never be noticed on DVD. And I may be barking up an entirely wrong tree.

One of the reasons I ask is because I was struck by how much of a last gasp for pre-CGI cinema Blade Runner really is, and I so appreciate your effort to preserve that look.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:04 am

***SPOILER***

New, fully restored scene: Deckard visiting Holden in hospital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpLoDADYF5g
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:44 am

Thanks for posting that scene dmohrUSC.

SPOILERS ahoy....

So Deckard and Holden have an interesting scene here, curious how Holden says the skin-jobs are no different than he and Deckard. More fuel for the debate there I think.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 am

dmohrUSC wrote:***SPOILER***

New, fully restored scene: Deckard visiting Holden in hospital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpLoDADYF5g

Thanks for the link. That is more different from the version from On The Edge of Blade Runner than I thought it would be...I'm going to compare the two.

hospital scenes wrote:A lot of camera angle changes, alternate dialog, shots, takes, sounds...blah blah blah. Here is my attempt at a dialog comparison:

OTEOBR Version (this is not exact wording)

DECKARD: Whatcha readin?
HOLDEN: Old favorite, Treasure Island.
(Deckard taps on glass)
H: Deckard!
D: Look friend...
H: It ain't like it used to be Deck, its tough now. These replicants aren't just a bunch of muscle miners anymore, they're no goddamn different than you or me!
D: What happened? (Deckard takes his coat off)
H: Ten days ago, security at Tyrell Corp. finds three intruders in their records room, kills one, two get away, ok? They do a routine autopsy on the one that gets aired, whaddya know, a skin-job, one of the ones that busted out. Top-drawer replicant, combat type, Nexus 6. I decided to check out all the new employees at Tyrell, I Voight-Kampf'd 26 boring assholes, when in walks this Leon somebody, nothin' special but very big...
D: You get anything on the machine?
H: Yeah but (coughs) I thought maybe I was gettin' something. Maybe it doesn't work on these Deck, maybe I was too slow, who knows!
D: Maybe.
H: It's all over Deck. It's a wipe-out. They're almost us!

New Version (this is not exact wording)

DECKARD: Whatcha readin?
HOLDEN: Old favorite, Treasure Island.
(Deckard taps on glass)
H: Deckard! Pretty awful eh?
D: Hm, you look great.
H: Think the skin job put the smash on me, wrecked me up. Look at me! Eh.
D: Never saw you look better...whose your plumber? (Holden laughs, coughs) Look friend...
H: It ain't like it used to be Deck, it's tough now. There replicants aren't just a bunch of muscle miners anymore, they're no damn different than you or me!
D: What happened? (Deckard takes his coat off)
H: Ten days ago security at Tyrell Corp. finds three intruders in their records room. Kills one, two get away, ok? They do a routine autopsy on the one that gets aired, whaddaya know, a skin-job, one of the ones that busted out. Top-drawer replicant, combat type, Nexus 6. I decided to check out all the new employees at Tyrell. I test 26 borking jerks when in comes this, Leon somebody, nothing' special, but very big (coughs)...
D: You get anything on the machine?
H: Yeah I (coughs, sighs) yeah I thought maybe I was gettin' something. Maybe it doesn't work on these Deck, maybe I was too slow, who knows!
D: Maybe.
H: It's all over, its a wipe-out! They're almost us Deck, its a disease! (coughs) Push it! Push that button!
D: What button?
H: The green one right there!
D: (Deckard pushes green button) Whatzat do?
H: That's for pain asshole! Ah, ah, oh yeah...
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Awesome. Although one thing that doesn't quite fit...he would have that green button in his bed pod. I guess it's more dramatic to have him ask Deckard to administer the pain meds, but morphine pumps in modern-day hospitals are patient controlled. This is important both medically and psychologically because it gives the patient a sense of control over their pain. He would probably be set up to "think" giving himself the meds if he couldn't push the button himself.

Interesting how they added the dialogue from the "android autopsy" sequence in DADOES there.

Nine more days before I get my briefcase...dammit...
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Deckard's empathy in that scene is awe inspiring--how can people think he's a replicant?

;)
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:28 pm

I will respond to this in the Deckard Replicant Controversy thread, Deepysea.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:41 pm

msgeek wrote:Awesome. Although one thing that doesn't quite fit...he would have that green button in his bed pod. I guess it's more dramatic to have him ask Deckard to administer the pain meds, but morphine pumps in modern-day hospitals are patient controlled. This is important both medically and psychologically because it gives the patient a sense of control over their pain. He would probably be set up to "think" giving himself the meds if he couldn't push the button himself.

Interesting how they added the dialogue from the "android autopsy" sequence in DADOES there.

Nine more days before I get my briefcase...dammit...

Well, who said it was morphine? Perhaps it was something more powerful, and if patients controlled it, it could be bad.

But you make a good point.

deepysea wrote:Deckard's empathy in that scene is awe inspiring--how can people think he's a replicant?

;)

Just follow MSgeek to the other thread.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:03 pm

On this train of thought, I just replied to the Deckard - Human or Replicant thread with another thought: who says Holden isn't possibly a replicant as well, doing dirty work for the Tyrell Co. like Deckard, and this new deleted scene between two Blade Runners in the hospital isn't also a scene between two replicants? And that the movie actually opens with a scene of a replicant (Holden) interviewing another replicant (Leon)?

Like Gaff says in another new deleted scene, "it's hard to tell who's who around here..."
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Not really a spoiler, the clip says it's been online since August 5, but -- here's an amazing bit of the filming of Zhora's running down the streets, and Ridley Scott talking with Joanna Cassidy on set. No idea if this will be on the new DVD set or not -- but still, it's @#$% amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVdd91M ... re=related
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut