I'VE SEEN THE FINAL CUT but why the colours are the same of

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm

I'VE SEEN THE FINAL CUT but why the colours are the same of

the directors cut?? you folks talks about a huge change of colours but i don't have noticed nothing at all...
ImageImage

"THE NEWEST MACHINE IN THE WORLD WILL NEVER
MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:19 pm

First, look at the color change thread.

Second, pull out your DC disc(s) and compare them to the final cut when you get the set. The difference is there.

Ask CDL. He can confirm it.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:39 pm

deleted wrote:First, look at the color change thread.

Second, pull out your DC disc(s) and compare them to the final cut when you get the set. The difference is there.

Ask CDL. He can confirm it.

so the difference is in the commercial DVD release not the theatrical?

the cinema where i'm went has mistaken the pan and scan, it was too much zooomed on the middle :shock: and the entire film too much bright. :evil:

why italy is full of morons? :roll:

btw the broadway of LA was umbelieveble on screen :shock: all those skyscrapers on the background :shock: :shock: so REAL. my hands sweat all the time and my heart runned damn fast that i've felt only a huge nervous mood.. :lol: :lol: i've to come back to see... the theatre was quite full of people :shock: not very good for blade runner..
ImageImage

MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Commercial? Theatrical? The FC had the same color job in both.
-Ridley Scott
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:41 am

No it doesn't.

Later, I speak with WB vice president of post production Kurt Galveo, who took a hands-on role in the transformation of Blade Runner to high-def disc. "We wanted to make sure that no matter what platform you look at it on, you always see the same thing," says Galveo. "We try to match the warmth, color, and texture. To keep that same kind of image on video, there are adjustments you have to make in color, because electronically it's a different color space. Plus, sometimes you have to add grain. When we scan the image and put it on digital form on disc, it can be too clean; you have to add texture so it looks like people remember it from the theater. But sometimes you literally have areas in the film where there's too much grain ? opticals [special effects], for instance, can actually introduce more grain ? so we have to take some out. It goes both ways."

And there's even more knob-turning required. "You do have to adjust contrast," Galveo continues. "It depends on how the scene was shot and lit. Also, compression can change what the blacks look like. Electronic blacks and film blacks look very different. You have to balance it out so it looks like the original."

I still say the 35mm FC print I saw in the theater this week isn't as warm as the France/UK FC DVD stills we've been seeing, but maybe I'm wrong. Of course, the same print can look different in different theaters, due to fluxuating light levels and improper mattes and whatnot.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:57 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:The color-timing of The Final Cut on the DVD is exactly the same as it was in theaters, and is exactly the way Ridley Scott wants it. It all comes from the same master he personally supervised and approved.

However, the archival versions of the film have been beautifully cleaned-up and remastered, but feature the more traditional color-timing seen on past releases. The Workprint looks a little rough but considering how deteriorated the source print was, the color-timing and clean-up work on it are pretty astounding.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Phantom

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:46 pm

maybe it was a problem of the cinema where i went...
ImageImage

MATCH THE HUMAN BEING."

-Ayrton Senna-
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:10 pm

You can pretty much ignore every single framegrab you come across. When viewing The Final Cut on a properly calibrated monitor or projection system, it should look like it did in theaters. If you look at it on a computer, it will probably look too green. Different colorspace.

The moral of the story: Don't watch movies on your computer if you want to recreate the theatrical experience.
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Interesting, thanks!
<<

Phildeck

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:40 pm

I saw the final cut yesterday on my big screen tv and i find a difference with the other cuts concerning the colors, less warmth, concerning the definition, i think it's really the best for the dvd media !
Unfortunately it's a shame the movie don't play in france, i wish i could see it in theatre...Untill now the best version i saw is the hdtv premiere version i have on divx, both colors and definition are really awesome !!
I will wait for the bluray release in a few days.

Phil
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 am

Dark, drab, green?? Yes that IS Blade Runner!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Longevity995

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Subconsciously I wasn?t looking for colour brightness and contrast levels when viewing rather skipping, though disc 1 and disc 3, disc 3 is what I liked. I did notice clarity and sharpness which looked miraculous clearer than the directors cut CAV laserdisc 1992.
I?ve seen things you people won?t believe.

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut