FAQ  •  Login

"The DVD Event Of The Year" - rollingstone.com

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:19 pm

After reading dmohrUSC's comments on the Kubrick collection, I started a thread in General Discussion for our own favorite DVDs of the year.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks, deepysea, I just took you up on your offer :D
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:10 am

dmohrUSC wrote:
The Kubrick set doesn't come CLOSE to the awesome comprehensiveness of the Blade Runner set.

Quite frankly, its just another collection of his movies. An incomplete, disappointing collection at that.

In the category of Awesome Comprehensiveness, I don't think ANYTHING comes close to the BR Ultimate Collection; there are probably people over at the offices of the Encyclopedia Britannica who are going to look at this DVD set and say, "for God's sakes, Lauzirika, you kind of went off the deep end on this one, didn't you?" It just sets a totally new standard for archival DVD work; I'm sure there are other examples, but the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that come close in terms of totally exhaustive (that's exhaustive, not exhausting) DVD editions of narrative movies are the Criterion Collection's editions of 'Brazil' and 'Mr. Arkadin.'

Not to get too far off topic onto non-BR related content, but as far as the latest Kubrick DVD set goes, sure, you can hold it up to the BR Ultimate Collection and dismiss it as "insignificant" in terms of its archival material, if archival material on DVDs is your only criteria when it comes to appreciating DVD releases; to each their own. But I take issue with writing off the latest Kubrick DVD set as "just another collection of his movies" - and truth be told, although I might admire some of their technical aspects, I'm not even a real fan of either 'A Clockwork Orange' or 'Full Metal Jacket.' But as a lifelong movie lover, finally having widescreen-letterboxed editions of 'Lolita,' 'Barry Lyndon,' 'The Shining' and for all its many flaws, 'Eyes Wide Shut,' is (to me at least) cause for celebration; and truth be told, I personally couldn't care less if there weren't any other extras on any of the Kubrick DVDs - of course, they're all fascinating, but what's most interesting to me are the movies themselves. If you can't enjoy and appreciate the movies unto themselves, what's the point of having all the extras?

It's not the extras that draw my main complaints, although they are part of my issue with the DVDs.

I look at it this way.

Every time they try to release Kubrick on DVD, it's like a take of a movie. They're getting better, but they still haven't gotten it quite right.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 am

deepysea wrote:After reading dmohrUSC's comments on the Kubrick collection, I started a thread in General Discussion for our own favorite DVDs of the year.

After deepysea posted his terrific picks for his favorite DVDs of the year in the General Discussion thread (and expanded my current Netflix DVD queue by at least 10 titles), I'm starting a thread in General Discussion for our all-time favorite movies, if anyone's interested.
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut