FAQ  •  Login

"The DVD Event Of The Year" - rollingstone.com

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

dmohrUSC

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

"The DVD Event Of The Year" - rollingstone.com

Well golly gee whiz everyone, look what just got ranked as #1 on rollingstone.com's Top 25 DVDs of 2007 (love the description of it as a "veritable orgy of cinematic deconstruction"!):

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gall ... eter_trave
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 pm

I'd be happier if the rest of Travis' list wasn't intensely mediocre. (Days of Heaven, Pan's Labyrinth, and Kubrick excepted, of course.)
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:59 pm

The rest of what list? I stopped reading after the first page :wink:

Wow -- did the BR Ultimate Edition really top STANLEY @#$% KUBRICK!? The new Kubrick DVD releases mark the first time that movies like Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut have EVER been available in widescreen-letterbox editions. Personally, I respect Kubrick's legacy more in terms of his place in movie history (and the 1 hour long audio interview with Kubrick from 1966 on the new 2001: A Space Odyssey DVD is totally worth the price of the entire DVD boxset). But as for which DVD set I'll actually be spending more time on and with and gobbling up every last possible godd*mned detail...sorry Stanley, I'm just too ready to party like it's 2019!

UPDATE: Okay, I just checked the list, and it looks like EVERYTHING came out ahead of the Kubrick boxset...and they didn't even use the correct @#$% photo for the new edition :evil: Whatever, rollingstone.com.

But I'm very happy to find out that my own personal fave movie of the year so far, 'Once,' is finally getting a DVD release. Such an amazing flick. This past summer Steven Spielberg said, "a little movie called 'Once' gave me enough inspiration about moviemaking to last the rest of the year."
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:33 pm

The Kubrick set doesn't come CLOSE to the awesome comprehensiveness of the Blade Runner set.

Quite frankly, its just another collection of his movies. An incomplete, disappointing collection at that.

And I regard myself as a Kubrick lover, btw.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:41 pm

That list has some of the WORST films I have ever seen- if that's the best of 2007 then the year really stank. What was the criteria for the list? The best movies or the best DVD extras? :?
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:46 pm

The Kubrick set doesn't come CLOSE to the awesome comprehensiveness of the Blade Runner set.

Quite frankly, its just another collection of his movies. An incomplete, disappointing collection at that.

In the category of Awesome Comprehensiveness, I don't think ANYTHING comes close to the BR Ultimate Collection; there are probably people over at the offices of the Encyclopedia Britannica who are going to look at this DVD set and say, "for God's sakes, Lauzirika, you kind of went off the deep end on this one, didn't you?" It just sets a totally new standard for archival DVD work; I'm sure there are other examples, but the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that come close in terms of totally exhaustive (that's exhaustive, not exhausting) DVD editions of narrative movies are the Criterion Collection's editions of 'Brazil' and 'Mr. Arkadin.'

Not to get too far off topic onto non-BR related content, but as far as the latest Kubrick DVD set goes, sure, you can hold it up to the BR Ultimate Collection and dismiss it as "insignificant" in terms of its archival material, if archival material on DVDs is your only criteria when it comes to appreciating DVD releases; to each their own. But I take issue with writing off the latest Kubrick DVD set as "just another collection of his movies" - and truth be told, although I might admire some of their technical aspects, I'm not even a real fan of either 'A Clockwork Orange' or 'Full Metal Jacket.' But as a lifelong movie lover, finally having widescreen-letterboxed editions of 'Lolita,' 'Barry Lyndon,' 'The Shining' and for all its many flaws, 'Eyes Wide Shut,' is (to me at least) cause for celebration; and truth be told, I personally couldn't care less if there weren't any other extras on any of the Kubrick DVDs - of course, they're all fascinating, but what's most interesting to me are the movies themselves. If you can't enjoy and appreciate the movies unto themselves, what's the point of having all the extras?
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:In the category of Awesome Comprehensiveness, I don't think ANYTHING comes close to the BR Ultimate Collection; there are probably people over at the offices of the Encyclopedia Britannica who are going to look at this DVD set and say, "for God's sakes, Lauzirika, you kind of went off the deep end on this one, didn't you?"

Funny. I feel like I barely scratched the surface.
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:51 pm

I guess on paper and with a naive-mindset of the production, it looks like a pretty damn comprehensive set. But of course, since you know about Blade Runner better than any of us here, I'm sure it would be difficult to fill in all stories and experiences from anybody involved into a 3 and a half hour documentary.

Believe me when I say this, but since I watched the bonus material for the Alien films plus Gladiator Extended Edition, I feel empty after I watch bonus materials from other films. It's like I've learned nothing. If I come out after watching Dangerous Days with knowledge of the process, then you did your job. Not that my point of view means anything, but I guess a small scratch is better than those 2-hour promotion videos we get in other Disc 2's.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:Funny. I feel like I barely scratched the surface.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

from a purely commercial point of view, is there a list of top selling or top renting movies ever somewhere? i'd like to know where BR is placed, just before the DVD release (because we know that the FC will jump off the sky and burn any selling record, that's granted).
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:24 am

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:
dmohrUSC wrote:In the category of Awesome Comprehensiveness, I don't think ANYTHING comes close to the BR Ultimate Collection; there are probably people over at the offices of the Encyclopedia Britannica who are going to look at this DVD set and say, "for God's sakes, Lauzirika, you kind of went off the deep end on this one, didn't you?"

Whoa momma...I feel like a kid again because if Warner Bros Video sends my copy around the same time all the folks who ordered through Amazon gets theirs, I have to wait until CHRISTMAS EVE DAY for mine. Can I wait? Will I wind up going down to the store on 12/18 and lining up because I can't wait that long? It's so close...yet so far...IT'S UNBEARABLE! UNBEARABLE, I SAY!!! I WANT MY DVDS....FSCKER!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:34 am

...if Warner Bros Video sends my copy around the same time all the folks who ordered through Amazon gets theirs, I have to wait until CHRISTMAS EVE DAY for mine.

I thought about it ad infinitum, and decided I simply could not accept that possible timeframe. There are no open-at-midnight Virgin Megastores in Minneapolis/St. Paul, so my best bud and I will be at the doors of Borders, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy or Circuit City at the stroke of 10:00 a.m. (We'll probably split up and be at different locations, just to ensure our operation's total success. Failure has never been less of an option!!!)
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 pm

It's a rare rainy day in Los Angeles, and I'm wanting it now.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Charles, just look at us, how we're friggin' out to have it... it's all your fault :lol: :wink:
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm

Maybe it's the truth the whole truth and nothing but, but still, I hope you realize you're KILLING us with statements like that, Charles :cry:

Ah well, at the very least I hope you'll consider dedicating a few months' time to penning your autobio someday, and thereby giving us BR-enthusiast heathens some priceless glimpses of the 95% of everything else that you were forced to leave out of the BR Ultimate Collection...or, in the meantime, just mull over releasing the definitive 50th-anniversary 120-DVD set in 2032! :lol:
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:..or, in the meantime, just mull over releasing the definitive 50th-anniversary 120-DVD set in 2032! :lol:

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Super Hardcore Fans Neither-Scott-Has-Ever-Seen Edition! :lol:
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut