BR:FC-What's happened to the colour?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:04 pm

BR:FC-What's happened to the colour?

Having seen some screengrabs from the new DVD, comparing the FC to last year's DVD, there seems to have been some marked changes to the colour palette of the film. For instance in last years DVD the opening Holden/Leon scene is blue, whereas on the FC DVD the scene is very green. It looks rather odd and I'm not sure I like it. Would be ironic after all these years to be left with a FC that I don't like the look of!

Did anyone who has seen the FC at the cinema notice the shift in the colour scheme or is it perhaps a mastering problem with the DVD? Some scenes seem washed out, or in other instances very dark- in the shot of Deckard hanging off the Bradbury building the streets down below are so dark you can't see any details at all, just the lights in the murk, and when Deckard meets Rachel at Tyrell's the skyline behind them has been paled down considerably, more brown than red.

Might be ok but it is a wee bit alarming. Just wondering what forum members who have seen the FC might have noticed at the cinema.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Dear ghost of 82, first you need to take off your 3D glasses, and then the FC will appear as beauteous as it actually is :lol:

Seriously, re: the minute amount of quibbles I had with the FC's technical aspects, the color was not one of them. BR has truly never looked better. And I think whatever teeny-tiny screen captures have been posted online are just that: teeny-tiny screen captures on your computer's screen. Don't believe the hype. Hold out for watching the Ultimate Collection DVD on your (or a friend's) big-ass HD TV set, or even better, BR-FC projected at a theater near you. I guarantee you will A. live longer and B. enjoy BR like never before :D
Last edited by dmohrUSC on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

The color-timing of The Final Cut on the DVD is exactly the same as it was in theaters, and is exactly the way Ridley Scott wants it. It all comes from the same master he personally supervised and approved.

However, the archival versions of the film have been beautifully cleaned-up and remastered, but feature the more traditional color-timing seen on past releases. The Workprint looks a little rough but considering how deteriorated the source print was, the color-timing and clean-up work on it are pretty astounding.
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Charles, the fact that you're even going to the trouble of posting replies to this website is just so unbelievably cool. (The only thing more awesome would be to have the ghost of Philip K. Dick come around and start talking about his own take on Deckard's being a replicant.) Honestly, what a treat to have you here with the rest of us; just goes to show how you're (once again) going 1,000% above and beyond what anyone would realistically or respectfully expect of you! You're making it all the more magical for the rest of us mere mortals :D
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Examples here.

I have no doubt the FC is Scott-approved and a top notch affair, and I thought it looked terrific in the theatre. I don't remember it looking as green in the opening scenes, or as dark as Deckard hanging from the precipice as those shots appear on the French site. I don't know what dvdrama's procedure is for screen captures or if it is as rigorous as, say, DVDBeaver's.

But given Charles' comments, it sounds like there is a change between the FC and the "more traditional color-timing," and it would certainly be interesting to know why. Did Scott simply adopt a fresh, intuitive approach tp the timing or did he intentionally tweak certain elements?

I'm still amazed that Warners spent the money to restore the Workprint...
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:10 pm

deepysea wrote:Examples here.

I'm still amazed that Warners spent the money to restore the Workprint...

If your going to do a job, do it properly!

On the related note Charles, is the extra footage clips in 4:3/letterbox or is it 16:9? just something for use adobe users to think about ;)
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that this is the first time Ridley has really supervised and approved a transfer of the film for home video. He was not involved in the 2006 remastered DVD. This was all intended to be his final personal pass on the film. And that's exactly what it is. Previous releases were done internally by the various studios and companies distributing the film.

So whether you like the new look or not, you'll still have the archival versions looking as they always have, only beautifully remastered and cleaned-up.

Regarding the extra footage, deleted scenes, etc. -- they're all newly-transfered 16:9. It's going to be Fan Edit Heaven. Not that I would encourage such a thing! :wink:
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:21 pm

If any BR fanatic out there with a decent Final Cut Pro home editing system totally goes bonkers - er, I mean, feels so inclined - to stitch together the "definitive" (hah! Does that word even mean anything anymore??) 2-hour-and-45-minute version of "Blade Runner: The Penultimate Moviegeek Cut (Retrofitted Together From the Workprint, Original 1982 Release, 1982 International Cut, 1992 Director's Cut, 2007 Final Cut and Ultimate Collection Deleted Scenes)", I'd be thrilled to send you a blank DVD-R and return postage in the mail :D
<<

deepysea

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:26 pm

nails6365 wrote:If your going to do a job, do it properly!

The Workprint was a long shot no matter how you cut it (no pun intended)...especially now that the FC has been officially christened Scott's preferred cut. The Workprint was a work-in-progress, never (though I know it had a few screenings previous to the DC) an official release. I'm sure it took Charles a lot of smooth talking to convince them to include it, restored no less.

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that this is the first time Ridley has really supervised and approved a transfer of the film for home video.

Ah--excellent point!
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Heh, looks good to me. Note how the Tyrell building and LAPD HQs "pop" more with the new color correction? I like it. If you don't like it, give your color a tweak on your TV. Besides...if you have criticism of it, tell it to Sir Ridley. These were his decisions.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:46 pm

dmohrUSC wrote:If any BR fanatic out there with a decent Final Cut Pro home editing system totally goes bonkers - er, I mean, feels so inclined - to stitch together the "definitive" (hah! Does that word even mean anything anymore??) 2-hour-and-45-minute version of "Blade Runner: The Penultimate Moviegeek Cut (Retrofitted Together From the Workprint, Original 1982 Release, 1982 International Cut, 1992 Director's Cut, 2007 Final Cut and Ultimate Collection Deleted Scenes)", I'd be thrilled to send you a blank DVD-R and return postage in the mail :D

An Unfinal Cut, so to speak?
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:49 am

i must admit i was a bit pissed off by this color shifting from what we always seen on VHS and DVD. i grown up with my beloved red/orange/copper sky of LA2019 in my heart, totally loved those colors as i thought that was what Scott and Cronenweth meant to do in '82, and seen these samples really got me bad. but i would trust not these tiny screenshots, i'm positive they're pretty far away from what you lucky guys/girls have seen on theaters and that we're all going to see within some weeks in the FC DVD.

i mean, how could i trust not what Charles said? :wink:
<<

martinland

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:16 am

dmohrUSC wrote:Charles, the fact that you're even going to the trouble of posting replies to this website is just so unbelievably cool. (The only thing more awesome would be to have the ghost of Philip K. Dick come around and start talking about his own take on Deckard's being a replicant.) Honestly, what a treat to have you here with the rest of us; just goes to show how you're (once again) going 1,000% above and beyond what anyone would realistically or respectfully expect of you! You're making it all the more magical for the rest of us mere mortals :D

Not that big a contribution, but:

I wholeheartedly agree!
<<

HoldenUnplugged

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 am

I will have to jump in and say-Thanks Charles-Great Job!

I saw the BR FC cut twice recently and both times I could from start from finish get caught up in the clarity of the image and the colours which do stand out- I mean I was just lost in the movie

I mean I have seen Blade runner various versions on the big screen, on vhs and criterion laserdisc etc and that dvd in the box set etc and till I saw it recently i was pretty sure i had image wise absorbed a fair amount-

as i said before-just the fact leons waste disposal outfit had a texture and a logo were revelations to me- i know its the same as always but its defined and thats a reward for the viewer seeing the film again and discovering even more!

Now whats odd is the cinema tech heads here in aus were going on about this BRFC shown using the Sony 4k system yet the print we saw in oz was the 2k version-so does this mean the dvd image will be even sharper?
I'm ignorant in this area as you can tell.

Than again I was just as happy with those cables gone lol:)
Deckard: I don't work here anymore. Give it to Holden. He's good.

Bryant: I did. He can breathe okay as long as nobody unplugs him.
<<

ghost of 82

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am

Firstly, a hearfelt thankyou to Charles for responding to my original post and, of course, additional thanks for all his work in creating the FC and the DVD sets. I'm decidedly old-guard regards BR; I fell in love with the film back in 1982 when it seemed no-one else had ever seen it or even heard of it. It's hard to describe to people nowadays just how lost that film was back in 1982, back when there was no internet, no videomarket (at least nothing like the DVD market that we have now), no PayTV or Cable... back then you had to wait years to see a film again, three years minimum for films to go on tv over here. BR failed so spectacularly on its first release, the reviews were so negative, Vangelis even cancelled the OST... by that Christmas BR was dead, buried and history. So much has changed!

My reservations regarding the screenshots on the French site are simply from having loved the film for some 25 years and having seen the film hundreds of times, I have become perhaps overly attached to how I think the film 'should' look. I trust that this is Ridley's preferred 'vision' of the film and look forward to seeing it. I fully appreciate that the last thing Charles would do is oversee an inferior version of my beloved BR. :)

By the way- my online retailer emailed me this morning, the DVD set is in the post! :D Not long to go now! Christmas comes early to this old chappie!
Next

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut