Deckard is a Replicant!!!

<<

LtColumbo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Deckard is a Replicant!!!

I'm of the Deckard Replicant school of thought. Here's why:

1. The unicorn dream being known by Gaff. Gaff knew deckard's dream, just like deckard knew Rachael's memories. He had access to his file.
2. Gaff saying "You've done a MAN's job, sir." Then immediately saying "It's too bad she won't live, but than again who does."
Now that's 2 questionable comments in the space of 2 min. I would only make that statement to someone if I meant to imply that they won't live as well. I would find it very unlikely that at such a moment as that, Gaff would be engaging in small talk.
3. Rachael asks Deckard, "You know that Voight-Kampff test of yours? Did you ever take that test yourself?" deckard then falls asleep and never answers that crucial question... next scene his eyes glow as he tells Rachael he wouldn't come after her.
4. When Roy catches Deckard in mid air on the building ledge he shouts," Kinship!" Now why on earth would a replicant that defiantly knows it's a replicant shout that out to a human who is not it's kin???
5. Deckard and Rachael both play the SAME tune on the piano !!!! An implanted memory by the engineers!!

All the clues are there... Deckard is a REPLICANT!
<<

Brick Deckard

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:39 pm

So why isn't he as strong as the other ones?
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:23 am

Holy thread revival Batman!

Anyway...

This could be explained by looking closely at the replicant information during Deckard's briefing. Each of the replicants has a Physical and Mental rating (A,B,C etc). If Deckard were a replicant, it would appear his Physical rating is lower than the Roy and his team's (although the fact that he survives the poundings shows that he is pretty tough).
<<

Brick Deckard

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:30 pm

I suppose that's plausible, but you'd think they'd have at least given him superior strength over Pris. After all, she's just a "pleasure model."
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:56 pm

Pris is obviously a pleasure model designed for kinky fun. :wink: And Deckard doesn't have superhuman strength because he's not supposed to figure out he's a replicant. I'm sure Rachael's specs are fairly human like, too.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:06 am

As Ridley's mentioned, Deck could be a Nexus 7, which could also be a replicant designed to be extremely human, fitting the more human than human motto more definitively.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Deckard is a human that had his memory scanned when he went to VK Racheal, and they are trying to convince him he is a replicant so he will lead them to the 'Replicant Sanctuary' that many replicant runners are believed to go. :D
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:23 pm

ridleynoir wrote:Deckard is a human that had his memory scanned when he went to VK Racheal, and they are trying to convince him he is a replicant so he will lead them to the 'Replicant Sanctuary' that many replicant runners are believed to go. :D

<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:51 pm

I personally think this image:

and the line uttered by Roy to the designer much later in the film about "the things I have seen with your eyes" also lend to the belief that Deckard could be a replicant.

In the opening scene, quite literally, we can see "what Deckard has seen" reflected in his eyes (if they are his eyes) . . . the eyes from the designer . . . replicant eyes.

Just my .02 credits worth, but I'm new here, so Hello!
Personally I like his character as a human better.

:D
Last edited by Deckard on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

Deckard

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:08 pm

I guess everyone saw this ages ago, but here it is again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/825641.stm
Deckard

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession: ex-cop, ex-BladeRunner, ex-killer."
<<

NiN_O_Negative

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:21 pm

I believe that Deckard could be a rep. He is able to overpower Rachel, and she doesn't show signs of "super-strength". I think because he believes he is human, it works like a mental block that causes fear and limits his physical strength when fighting Roy. Despite this, he is still able to fight Roy and not be horribly killed within 10 seconds.
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Deckard did not really "fight" with Roy. Roy merely toyed with with him in an uncular fashion. If Batty had engaged in actual physical conflict he could have torn Deckard asunder in nanoseconds. :) Deckard was the epitomy of weakness and even an inferior specimen for a man. And how many replicants suffered from alcoholism? Would this self medicating tendency be something one would program into an artificial person? Deckard at the end demonstrates his craveness and what a low life he is by running off with his blow up sex toy that he programmed to love him. "Say put your hands on me". No Deckard was human and this replicant nonsense was a twist that Scott added at a later date to renew interest in the film.

"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave". Not something one would say to a fellow replicant.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:33 pm

Yes, Starramus, but in a replicant which is not supposed to know he's a replicant you would have to make adjustments. Like giving the replicant humanlike strength instead of super-human strength. Or programming in psychic flaws, like alcoholism or anxiety disorder. Nexus 6 replicants are meant to be "more human than human" and "perfect."

Perhaps the Nexus 7, like Deckard and Rachael, are an attempt to make more realistic replicants, particularly those which can be used in law enforcement to clean up the mess Tyrell Corporation made with the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 lines.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 pm

I don't buy it. Far too complex to be believable. You have turned Occam's Razor into a Occam's bludgeon. :lol: Even fiction has to retain some semblance of credibility. This is stretching the tale so thin there is nothing to chomp on. Neither Harrison Ford nor Rutger Hauer buy into this nonsense. Only good ole Ridley is perpetuating this enhancement. Deckard is a human or the story loses all meaning.

Lets settle this debate with a tried and true poll. Go ahead and post one and let the winner be victorious. I can tell you right now that i will be voting for Hugo Chavez! :lol: The only honest candidate on the ticket.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:59 pm

starramus wrote:I don't buy it. Far too complex to be believable. You have turned Occam's Razor into a Occam's bludgeon. :lol: Even fiction has to retain some semblance of credibility. This is stretching the tale so thin there is nothing to chomp on. Neither Harrison Ford nor Rutger Hauer buy into this nonsense. Only good ole Ridley is perpetuating this enhancement. Deckard is a human or the story loses all meaning.

Lets settle this debate with a tried and true poll. Go ahead and post one and let the winner be victorious. I can tell you right now that i will be voting for Hugo Chavez! :lol: The only honest candidate on the ticket.

A poll?

Ah! Humor. I see.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
Next

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?