FAQ  •  Login

Replicants eyes glowing

<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:59 am

raymccoy wrote:Partizan my friend read Future Noir and all your questions, most of them at least, will be answered.

but which edition should i be buying? the 1996 or the 2004 edition?
don't tell me to buy both, because i can only afford to buy one.
"I'll take the test," Luba Luft said, "if you'll take it first."
<<

THX1138

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:45 am

there's a 2004 edition? whats new in that version?
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:29 am

THX1138 wrote:there's a 2004 edition? whats new in that version?

that's what i'd like to know, too
<<

BR796164

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:46 am

Netrunner from br-movie was implifying a year ago or so that there might be a new FN edition, if the fanbase expresses a significant interest.
But I don't count on it.
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 am

You can by the new edition on amazon.de - so it's already out there.
But it costs twice as much as the old edition.
<<

Luba Luft

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:37 am

I just got my "new edition" of Future Noir, but it looks pretty much like a reprint to me. The chapter about Tapes and Discs, for example, is only about VHS and Laser Discs. No DVDs mentioned. It looks like anyone who wants to buy Future Noir might as well get an older version.
<<

Rachel

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:40 am

Yes, the eyes of replicants can glow strangely under lights. It's the case of Rachel when there is a TV screen shining in front of her when she walks toward Deckard who is cleaning his mouth after a fight with Leo during this scene:

Then, her eyes remind the ones of the owl which will be witness of Dr Tyrell's death. The owl symbolizes Athena, goddess of wisdom, for some people.

There's some tricks used to make the eyes glow. In Blade Runner, it is screens. In the Avengers, it was mirrors, for example in the episode "From Venus with love": http://theavengers.online.fr/guide_epis ... _venus.htm. I remember that the eyes of Diana Rigg was particularly glowing because of it, and it has been also used to create the illusion of a UFO flying in the air, in the same episode. I've got a video extract here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBjrUZq_LKE

It's more practical on brown eyes than on blue eyes, because of the contrast appearing while all looks clear on the blue ones.

Rachel
<<

Largo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 pm

Kipple wrote:Food for thought!

From, Front Projection for "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Herb A. Lightman
from American Cinematographer:
"One stunnng effect that invariably brings gasps from the audience was achieved quite unexpectedly and may be regarded as a sort of "bonus" to the production. During the prologue a lithe leopard is seen moving among the rocks. As the big cat turns its head full into camera its eyes seem literally to light up with a brilliant, fluorescent orange glow. The impact is startling.

Whenever I show my DVD copy of 2001 and this particular scene is on, I always get some cheap laughs when I suddenly declare, "You see - that leopard is a replicant!"
Rachael is smokin' !!!
<<

jaydubya

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 am

Off topic but with regard to Future Noir: A new 2007 version IS available. I've scanned through it quickly in a book shop and for the most part it is the same as the original print. The only additions to the book is an all new interview with Harrison Ford in the Appendices (similar in format to the Ridley interview already in the book), a quick overview of BR events between the original and new edition of the book as well as an overview of the process of bringing the Final Cut into being. There is also a section in the appendices that corrects any errors that may have made it into the original edition.

JW
That's the spirit!
<<

Largo

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks for that info, jaydubya. I was wondering if this new edition includes that online chapter entitled "The Crew?"
Rachael is smokin' !!!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm also wondering that, as well as if anything else that was cut from then is in here.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

jaydubya

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 am

No, the cut material from the original edition does not make it into this edition. Paul M. Sammon does address this in the extra material that is in the book. He had limited space to work with, which is why he could only give an overview of events from the original edition to this edition, rather than go into the depth he had done for the rest of the book, although he does express the hope that one day he'll be able to put out an edition with all the material put back in.

JW
That's the spirit!
Previous

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?