FAQ  •  Login

A Retirement Plan for Everyone!

<<

maledoro

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:58 am

A Retirement Plan for Everyone!

If replicants are illegal on Earth, then why do some people think that the cops, Tyrell, etc. are replicants? Sure, one could use the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy that none of the characters know whether they or others are replicants, but that's a cop out. (No pun intended.)

<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:33 am

police corruption? :roll:
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Corruption of course! Tyrell knew Rachael was a Replicant, the law did not stop him.

And Bryant made no mention of Tyrell's non-compliance with the rules. Which seems suspicious enough that gives some validity that Tyrell may have had dealings with the police force.

Are all cops Replicants? Not necessarilly...

Gaff limps along with a cane which may hint at an on the job injury. And Holden is nearly killed and said to be kept alive by artificial means. Would they do that for a Replicant? Could Tyrell have convinced the police department of the value in hunting Replicants with Replicants? It sounds like good business when you have all but lost your market on Earth at least.

Which brings me to my unusual theory that it is actually Deckard's first day on the job we are seeing in the film, everything else he recalls are implanted memories. If that were the case, then perhaps there is a double agenda going on with Deckard being told to VK the new Replicant Rachael. Those in the know, wanted to know if the VK can detect a Nexus 6, and if Deckard as a Replicant can do the detecting. Why then is Deckard physically weaker than those he hunts? My opinion is that it reinforces the lie that he is human.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:50 pm

I think the Idea of replicants being illegal on Earth was made up after the fact for the opening crawl. In the scripts they were escaped, as in escaped slaves. Though IIRC in the book they might have been illegal, because I remember Tyrell (Rosen) telling Deckard thet she was a sales model allowed to be on earth and Deckard wasn't going to retire her.

Making a weaker "Pawn" of Deckard would be a good idea if he decides to turn on you. He was a sacrificial piece as in the chess game with Tyrell. He wasn't expected to live. Gaff was probably right behind him the whole time ready to finish the job. If he turned rogue, how would it look to the police department using an entire division to take down what looks like one of their own? For that matter even using illegal replicants?
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 pm

An interesting thing to note: All of the Replicants who confront Deckard show an attribute of physical strength and agility or both. All of them except Rachael. Does this mean Rachael is a Replicant like Deckard, in that she too lacks any superhuman abilities as a Replicant? The logic is a bit silly I confess. Just because she has not shown her capabilities does not mean she is without them.

I bring this up because if she did have greater strength, would she have been able to leave Deckard as she originally intended before he stopped her in the doorway? Or would she have allowed herself to be knocked back... and uh, erm... romanced?

Tyrell mentions that, "Rachael is an experiment, nothing more." Besides being an experiment in Replicants with memories, could she also have been an experiment in making Replicants without superior abilities? That might give some added credibility to Deckard as a Replicant.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:34 pm

You do not give superhuman abilities to a being you want to think is human. That's why Deckard has the physical ability of a normal human (although on the strong side of normal) and so does Rachael. They're both experiments in humanizing replicants. So their capabilities would have to be kept in normal human range.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

maledoro

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:05 am

msgeek wrote:That's why Deckard has the physical ability of a normal human

I think he gets that from his parents...

<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:25 pm

The reason for why I'm in the "Deck-a-Rep' camp" is because of the world of Blade Runner. The metropolis chokes out anything green or signs of life. Everything is black or varying shades of dark, where the animals are sold as artificial creations in place of the extinct. The character of Deckard I see in the film is no more human than his surroundings.

Memories of green plays in the background, an artificial being dreams about it. It might as well be memories of humanity being echoed in his thoughts.
<<

Crow T. Robot

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Noneoftheabove wrote:Corruption of course! Tyrell knew Rachael was a Replicant, the law did not stop him.

And Bryant made no mention of Tyrell's non-compliance with the rules. Which seems suspicious enough that gives some validity that Tyrell may have had dealings with the police force.

Are all cops Replicants? Not necessarilly...

Gaff limps along with a cane which may hint at an on the job injury. And Holden is nearly killed and said to be kept alive by artificial means. Would they do that for a Replicant? Could Tyrell have convinced the police department of the value in hunting Replicants with Replicants? It sounds like good business when you have all but lost your market on Earth at least.

Which brings me to my unusual theory that it is actually Deckard's first day on the job we are seeing in the film, everything else he recalls are implanted memories. If that were the case, then perhaps there is a double agenda going on with Deckard being told to VK the new Replicant Rachael. Those in the know, wanted to know if the VK can detect a Nexus 6, and if Deckard as a Replicant can do the detecting. Why then is Deckard physically weaker than those he hunts? My opinion is that it reinforces the lie that he is human.

Are all cops reps, I think not but I do think all Bladerunners are....

I always thought that we were seeing Deck's first day too....

C.T.R.

Return to Deckard - Human or Replicant?