FAQ  •  Login

My fantasy for a BR-related series...

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:40 pm

My fantasy for a BR-related series...

There are two new Star Wars series in our future. One is CGI animated and looks like fairly good machinima or fairly bad CGI animation. The other is a live-action show we know nothing about yet. Both will be anthology series. One will be set during the Clone Wars, fleshing out the bits about it that Genndy Tartakovski's 2D masterpiece didn't reveal. The other will be set in the period between Episode III and the original Star Wars movie.

I love the idea of anthology shows. One of my favorite shows of all time is The Twilight Zone. And of course, my favorite movie is and remains Blade Runner. There is a chance for peanut butter in chocolate/chocolate in peanut butter kind of synergy.

Welcome then, ladies, gentlemen, and replicants, to Blade Runner: The Rep-Detect Files.

The idea would be to create a hands-across-the-Pacific alliance to create the series, bringing the best talents of Japanese and US animation together to create an anthology series. An ideal choice for animation director would be Michael Arias, the man who directed the first Japanese animated feature directed by an American, Tekkonkinkreet.

The stories would be set before, concurrent with, and after the temporal locale of Blade Runner, both in Los Angeles and in other spatial locales. The writing talents of the best science fiction writers of the present day would be solicited for the series.

More minor characters like Holden and Gaff might reappear, but none of the big characters, particularly not Deckard, will be seen. The idea is to introduce new characters in the milieu, and reveal more about this world as we first saw it in Los Angeles in November, 2019. The "rules" of this world would have to be better established...for example, how much of Earth is inhabitable, where exactly the Off-world colonies are located, (I nominate Mars, Venus, the Moon and certain satellites of Jupiter, as well artificial colony stations in lagrange-point orbit of Earth and Mars.) and what has caused the damage that is pervasive on the Earth and has resulted in mass extinction of animals. Yes, I know that Phil Dick gave some explanations, but they really don't apply as much now as they did in either 1968 or 1982.

This would have to air either on HBO or Showtime or on Basic Cable (Sci-fi, Adult Swim, etc.) if it were to be done right. It would be gritty, violent and occasionally gory. The language would be raw. It would be hardboiled and intellectual at the same time. And as an animated series it would be literally limitless in what it could depict.

Yes, this is just a fantasy. But it sure felt good to imagine it.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 pm

I have been working on much of the "world" as you already know, and have created some paralell plot lines to the movie as a result. The 'Total Recal 2070' show came close, but still didn't quite do it. With Shows like Battlestar Galactica doing what they are doing now, it could be possible to do such a show. Problem is the rights holders (BR partnership) probably have no time for this and might be afraid it would weaken their property if not done right. They, and money are probably the only reason this hasn't been done before.
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am

Sounds like a great idea. I'd watch it. :D
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

THX1138

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:59 am

You mention a lot of specifics (like names of who should direct and what people should direct). I really wouldn't let any person of modern day scifi writing touch this. This needs special attention from certain people. Namely, people I trust, like Ronald Moore of the new Battlestar Galactica.

I thought in the BR game it was already established that Mars was the Off-World colony. In a dream sequence Ray was in a suit on a red planet along with Lucy.

And I'm not keen on the whole HBO thing. Cable I understand. HBO? Sorry, HBO is currently going down the shitter.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 am

THX1138 wrote:And I'm not keen on the whole HBO thing. Cable I understand. HBO? Sorry, HBO is currently going down the shitter.

The reason I mention HBO is the tight connection between HBO and Warner Bros. Pictures, considering that both are corporate siblings in the Time/Warner octopus. And HBO has, in the past, done some awesome things. Sopranos, anyone? Deadwood? Rome? Sex and the City? Band of Brothers? Well written, well directed, not encumbered by broadcast standards and practices codes. Sure, not everything they do is teh awesome, but every network has misfires.

Maybe it wouldn't be the absolute best home for such a series, but it could be a good home. Warner Bros. would just have to get over the idea that animation != kid stuff. When they tried doing "animation for grownups" in the past, they gave us Invasion Earth, which was basically written for pre-teens. That's why Adult Swim has historically bypassed Hollywood for Atlanta, GA and Williams Street Animation. That's also why there is an Anime block on Adult Swim too. The Japanese have never pigeonholed animation as kid stuff...it's another form of cinema there. This is why a joint Japan-US production is a must.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:37 am

Hmmmm,....A Blade Runner Animatrix?
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:00 pm

ridleynoir wrote:Hmmmm,....A Blade Runner Animatrix?

Oh, my God, you remember "A Detective Story"? From the Cowboy Bebop guy? If he made a BR anime, I would be unbearably happy.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Shinichiro Watanabe would be my choice as well. That, or Mamoru Oshii of GitS. I like the idea of many different talents doing their own section of an anthology too. There are a lot of stories in the naked city ;)
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Perhaps even Katsuhiro Otomo (the fellow who created Akira) could have a hand. :D
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:56 pm

And if Moebius himself could play a part??? :D

Of course if you look at the work of many of these anime directors, they already have done things in the BR universe.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 pm

Exactly.
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:05 am

msgeek wrote:

Exactly.

Yup. I agree with that. I've stated that that noir story from the animatrix would have made a cool BR spinoff. That was a while ago though, way before you joined. It's good to see we're all on the same page.

But I'd like to opt for sci-fi and sky one to bring forth a blade runner series. They are the two responsible for the ressurection of Battlestar. I'm sure with a good pilot they would put up some money to produce a great series. Hey, if they can put up money to fund bad shows like stargate atlantis and SG-1, they will surely do Blade Runner.

From the list of HBO shows you've listed, the only mention I actually liked was Band of Brothers. Sex and the City, eh, it's a girl show. Sopranos...I didn't care much for it. Watched a few, tried to get into it. It had a fair run in my books but didn't keep me occupied. It was way overrated I thought.

But back to the topic, I still think it should be live action. The anime style looks cool, but part of what made blade runner awesome to watch was to see an actual possible city transformed into something semi realistic. To see familiar objects like busses and traffic lights. When it's all drawn out it doesnt give it the same awe factor.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:03 am

The drawback would be that a live action show would need to be intensively CGI to be affordable.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm

ridleynoir wrote:The drawback would be that a live action show would need to be intensively CGI to be affordable.

Basically to do this live-action they would have to shoot it like Robert Rodriguez did Sin City and Frank Miller did 300: 100% green screen, with virtual sets. Then again, animation ix expensive too. Either way it would be expensive. That's why this is a fantasy. Unless BR:FC becomes an absolute phenomenon on DVD, it's not bloody likely that it would ever happen. Then again, there have been movies which become a phenomenon on DVD and suddenly sequel plans come out of the woodwork. This happened to Ace Ventura, Austin Powers and Firefly, so it's not unheard of.

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel