FAQ  •  Login

All this talk of a sequel...how about a prequel??!!

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 am

I still think that the best hope to carry the BR world forward would be an anime series. Maybe if there is enough interest in The Final Cut, particularly in Japan (anyone know about Japanese releases of The Final Cut?) such a project might possibly be lucrative on both sides of the Pacific.

I'm thinking not a prequel per-se, but a parallel continuum that would intersect the action in Blade Runner at one point, but extend back and forward in time and perhaps differ in location. "Blade Runner Chronicles" was interesting in that it was set in a future Tampa, FL, US. What's Manhattan like? What's Tokyo like? What's Shanghai like? What's Bangalore like? Since the UN's World Police Organization is basically coordinating the hunt for escaped replicants, you could have a global scope to this series.

You could also get a glimpse of what the Off World Colonies are like. I'm fairly sure that what you'd have would be something like Cowboy Bebop's milieu: colonies on planets nearby to Terra, like Venus, Mars and the moons of Jupiter. I hardly think they would have lightspeed or faster-than-light travel at a time and place like that. We would be stuck in our own solar system. Anything else would not have the ring of truth.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

starramus

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

I think the best we can hope for is a re-edit of BR every decade or so. Sorry, but i am a realist.
Last edited by starramus on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:38 pm

msgeek wrote:I still think that the best hope to carry the BR world forward would be an anime series. Maybe if there is enough interest in The Final Cut, particularly in Japan (anyone know about Japanese releases of The Final Cut?) such a project might possibly be lucrative on both sides of the Pacific.

I'm thinking not a prequel per-se, but a parallel continuum that would intersect the action in Blade Runner at one point, but extend back and forward in time and perhaps differ in location. "Blade Runner Chronicles" was interesting in that it was set in a future Tampa, FL, US. What's Manhattan like? What's Tokyo like? What's Shanghai like? What's Bangalore like? Since the UN's World Police Organization is basically coordinating the hunt for escaped replicants, you could have a global scope to this series.

You could also get a glimpse of what the Off World Colonies are like. I'm fairly sure that what you'd have would be something like Cowboy Bebop's milieu: colonies on planets nearby to Terra, like Venus, Mars and the moons of Jupiter. I hardly think they would have lightspeed or faster-than-light travel at a time and place like that. We would be stuck in our own solar system. Anything else would not have the ring of truth.

I agree. A BR Anime series has an incredible amount of potential. I would love it if the Cowboy Bebop people made it.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:44 pm

The CG route is not the worst idea. Several people have already created CG models and landscapes.

The next step would have to be organization.

Maybe an anthology of shorts.

I know that on the physical model end, the 1/6 Spinner project is continuing forward.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=29833
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Masao wrote:The CG route is not the worst idea. Several people have already created CG models and landscapes.

That has potential. I was considering starting a new thread on this...but, we'll see how much interest is generated.

I have become addicted to "Afterworld."

http://www.afterworld.tv/

Now...this format is relatively simple. Again, it takes organization. And a good story. :wink:

For the first episode of Afterworld, up to the current installment go to their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/afterworldtv
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:26 am

I am actually starting to think a comic book would be a good Idea. It would also make BR come full circle to at least Ridley's influence for the style of BR.
<<

THX1138

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:25 am

Kipple wrote:
Masao wrote:The CG route is not the worst idea. Several people have already created CG models and landscapes.

That has potential. I was considering starting a new thread on this...but, we'll see how much interest is generated.

I have become addicted to "Afterworld."

http://www.afterworld.tv/

Now...this format is relatively simple. Again, it takes organization. And a good story. :wink:

For the first episode of Afterworld, up to the current installment go to their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/afterworldtv

I thought we already tried this rout. Remember Antiggo and Patryk? I havent seen Afterworld, but I see previews on the australian channels here all the time. it looks, hmmm, interesting. I might watch it just to see how visually pleasing (or unpleasing) it is. The story seems like one that doesnt interest me though. I think if you go a CGI route, you NEED a game engine like unreal. Remember those BR mods? yeah. That's the idea.

I've said many times on this forum I am displeased with every anime I've seen, with the exception of a few (which are even argued to not even be anime) I liked the way the noir animatix was. That was pretty interesting.

Ever think about 3d with toon shading? Like that CGI spinner I rendered a long time ago and toon shaded it? If you need refreshing, I can rerender another one.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

nedergras

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:32 am

The creators of replicants didn't design replicants to have emotional responses but to be machines designed to copy and mimic human behavior, though replicants eventually developed their own emotions to the surprise of their creators... which is why the newer generations of Nexus have shorter lifespans since the creators can't stop the replicants from developing their own emotional responses. JF Sebastian tells Roy and Pris that there are seven or several million (forget which) of Nexus 6's, theres no telling how many earlier generations of Nexus's with longer lifespans there are in the offworld colonies, which opens the door to an Animatrix type prequel/sequel/trilogy where one of the off world colonies has been taken over by the earlier generations of Nexus w/ longer lifespans and then those Replicants would just advance their genetic code or technology at a tremendous rate as to create an advanced form of replicants that would have longer lifespans or immortal compared to the earlier generations of Nexus replicants that created them, and possibly take over the human colonies and Earth, wiping the human race out or not in the war of the worlds. Maybe replicants would save Earth and humanity from other replicants, causing humans to change the way they see replicants as, viewing them as equals and just as deserving of life and the same rights as humans believe that humans are entitled to.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am

" JF Sebastian tells Roy and Pris that there are seven or several million (forget which) of Nexus 6's"
When? I don't remember that.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

nedergras

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:09 pm

deleted wrote:" JF Sebastian tells Roy and Pris that there are seven or several million (forget which) of Nexus 6's"
When? I don't remember that.

After reading the script I might have misheard the line, in the script Sebastian says "theres some of me in you" while Sebastian is talking about Nexus's after Sebastian asks Roy what generation he and Pris are in Sebastian's apartment.
<<

mtek

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:38 am

A prequel would be definitely more interesting a less intrusive than a sequel to BR... Rarely such a masterpiece as BR can be surpassed or even equalled as a sequel...

That's imo the only reason that Scott agreed to direct another movie from the Alien franchise - the condition would be for it to be a prequel, never a sequel... The same logic would probably apply to a new BR movie directed by Scott.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die..."
<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:27 pm

<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 am

I support strongly Ridley Scott's decision to Creative Commons license Purefold. Mashups, yay! Maybe even one or two by Yours Truly.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
<<

kornula

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:34 pm

I have only one word for either a prequel or sequel. Its a direct quote from Marcel Marceau's only spoken line in Mel Brooks' "Silent Movie":

NO!
<<

omnicd

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed May 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: All this talk of a sequel...how about a prequel??!!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a loose adaptation of Philip K. Dick's novel which was already made into a movie: 1982 Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. Blade Runner was recently voted "best science fiction movie of all time"
We started that project back in 2007, when we shot the first scenes in Paris La Defense. 2 years later, having already made two short-movies, we decided to go on with that film and reshot entirely the first 2 scenes to give them a better look and a grander scale.

Scene 1 was shot on location in Bangkok in October 2009 but also features images of Singapore and Dubai airports as well as various locations in Chambon-la-Forêt and Rigarda (France). This was probably the most challenging scene i have ever shot due to the intense crowd in Bangkok and various logistics problems I had to deal with in order to give the scene a particular and futuristic mood. Music is by Vangelis.

Scene 2 was entirely shot in one evening in the thirteenth district of Paris, in early July of 2009. Music is by japanese composer Kentarō Haneda.
Editing took place between Bangkok and Pithiviers, whenever I had time and energy. Further development on that project is already scheduled.
You can check it out right now by clicking on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq53bMBNos
PreviousNext

Return to The Blade Runner Movie Sequel