FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner DVD Image Comparisons

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:32 am

Ridley Scott had nothing to do with any of the previous home video transfers, including last year's remastered DVD.

The Final Cut release is the first time Ridley personally supervised a home video transfer of "Blade Runner." So, like it or not, what you're going to see on the upcoming DVD is exactly what the director wanted.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Ridley, but I hope he hasn't strayed too far with the colour correction. I always think back to that shot in ALIEN with Harry Dean Stanton in the garage, and how jarring it was compared to the original version, and to the rest of the movie.

Can't wait to see, either way! :)
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:Ridley Scott had nothing to do with any of the previous home video transfers, including last year's remastered DVD.

The Final Cut release is the first time Ridley personally supervised a home video transfer of "Blade Runner." So, like it or not, what you're going to see on the upcoming DVD is exactly what the director wanted.

Thanks Charlie. As long as it's director approved then I'm happy.
<<

Charles de Lauzirika

Honorary Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:48 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love Ridley, but I hope he hasn't strayed too far with the colour correction.

Strayed from what, though? This is the first time he's supervised the colortiming for home video. Unless you have exact photographic memory of how the film looked in theaters back in 1982, and even then, the process of controlling the film's look was nowhere near as sophisticated as it is today, there is no right or wrong, historically-speaking. There is only what the director wants. And that's what The Final Cut presents.

I'll probably have more detailed things to say about all of this down the road, once the DVD is out and being dissected to the nth degree.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:Strayed from what, though? This is the first time he's supervised the colortiming for home video. Unless you have exact photographic memory of how the film looked in theaters back in 1982, and even then, the process of controlling the film's look was nowhere near as sophisticated as it is today, there is no right or wrong, historically-speaking. There is only what the director wants. And that's what The Final Cut presents.

I'll probably have more detailed things to say about all of this down the road, once the DVD is out and being dissected to the nth degree.

You know, I hadn't thought of that! I've just taken for granted that the good ol' VHS I grew up with was the 'right' look. Thanks for the reality check!

Either way, with all the restoration work that's been done, I'm sure it'll look better than I ever could have hoped. Long as they're not all flying around in lime green Spinners, I'm cool! :P
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

Sam

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:30 pm

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:I'll probably have more detailed things to say about all of this down the road, once the DVD is out and being dissected to the nth degree.

I can't wait 'till the 18th of December! I'm sure the results will be fantastic.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:45 am

I. J. Thompson wrote:I've just taken for granted that the good ol' VHS I grew up with was the 'right' look.

NTSC has crappy color gamut, and NTSC VHS even less of a palette to work with. :P

I think I'll wait until I have the Briefcase in my hot little hands before judging. And moreover, I'll get to see it as intended for one brief shining couple of hours at The Landmark. That will be my first time seeing it on the Big Screen. I can't freaking wait.
Yes, I really live in Los Angeles. Srsly. And yeah, life really does imitate art here. Especially now we've got those video billboards. No spinners yet. But I suppose that's next.
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut