FAQ  •  Login

amazon offer?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 pm

ridleynoir wrote:I am not convinced the Disc 5 will be all that different in HD. The HD sets have added the extra stuff without an extra disc (it is already a 5 disc set without it). If they had spent the money to remaster and encode it for HD on the 5th disc I think they would still offer it elsewhere to recoup the money. Not all HD disc content is HD. The stuff they put the work into is getting their own sets.

Sure they are asking a premium for it in the Ultimate sets, but the toy and model spinners already sell for up to and over $100 on ebay. Combine that with the other promo stuff in the set and it adds up. With all the other stuff in the basic sets, I think they may have felt that the WP would only appeal to a more select audience. Especially since most of the alternative footage in it will also be included on the other sets.

It is also going to be a while before I get any version of the HD players. At least untill their prices come down even more.

This news isn't so new but... Even if it's already common knowledge, I'm very excited to learn this bit of info from The Digital Bits:

LATE UPDATE - 8/3/07 - 2 PM PDT)

Okay... we've got a little bit more news for you, starting with some follow-up on the high-def versions of Blade Runner. We've confirmed with Warner that both the Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD editions will feature ALL FIVE VERSIONS of the film in actual 1080p video, but the extras (the documentary, deleted scenes, etc) will all be in standard definition. The reason for this has nothing to do with disc space on either format, but rather timing. Work is still ongoing on some of the extras (it's a big job as you can imagine from the list of specs). Given that, I'm told that even if high-def compression were to start today on the all the extras, there'd be no way to get the high-def versions of the set completed in time to street this year, which is the film's anniversary. That said, even though the extras will be standard def, they're going to be compressed at a very high bitrate and, with upscaling, they should look plenty good. So that's that.
ImageImageImage
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:30 pm

Yup. As long as the films are in high-def, I'm happy.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Krokodyle

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:26 pm

deleted wrote:Yup. As long as the films are in high-def, I'm happy.

Me too.

I ended up pre-ordering the standard DVD Briefcase, and a BluRay Briefcase. I got the standard so I can play it during the holidays, since I haven't made the leap to an HD or BluRay player yet. At least with the BluRay, it'll motivate me to order a PS3 as well... :lol:
Previous

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut