FAQ  •  Login

You know what would have been a cool extra?

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 pm

You know what would have been a cool extra?

For the DVDs? The 20 minutes of footage that PKD was shown with Scott, with optional Scott commentary. I'm sure they'll talk about it in the Dangerous Days doc, though.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:40 am

Re: You know what would have been a cool extra?

deleted wrote:For the DVDs? The 20 minutes of footage that PKD was shown with Scott, with optional Scott commentary. I'm sure they'll talk about it in the Dangerous Days doc, though.

That would've been awesome.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Yeah, interesting. A sig line I used a while ago was a direct reference to PKD's reaction after seeing that screening twice in a row with Ridley. (from Paul Sammon's book...)

"The environment is exactly as how I'd imagined it. How'd you guys do that? How did you know what I was feeling and thinking?!"

It's nice to know PKD was happy (to say the least) with what he'd seen from BR before his demise.
ImageImageImage
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:24 pm

I always thought it a liiiiiittle bit strange that Dick, whose visual descriptions consisted mainly of single words like 'building' and 'car', would have been dreaming up these amazing, entrancing environments, but not telling his audience about them.

Do you think he might've been topping it up just a little bit there? Taking some of the credit?

Just sayin'. :?
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:39 am

what would have been cool and *IS* on the dvd is the film again but shown in completely different angles. accordinmg to the digital bits, it lasts some 45 minutes and is a worthy 5th version of the film

1. final cut
2workprint
3. original theatrical version
4 directors cut
5. 45 minute alternate angle version

according to the news article, the 45 minute film is still watchable and covers most aspects of the film.

------SPOILER ALERT-------SPOILER ALERT------------

Here is a cut and paste from the digital bits website

Next, Charlie revealed that the set will also include a whopping 47 minutes worth of deleted scenes, not seen in any previous version of the film. He then proceeded to debut an exclusive clip of some of this deleted footage. Now... Todd and I had the chance to preview all 47 minutes of this deleted material on Wednesday night, before our panel, and I can tell you first-hand that you have absolutely NO IDEA just how cool this material is. It's not just 47 minutes worth of deleted material - it's like getting a 5? th or a 6th version of the film itself. The material is all edited together chronologically, to create an encapsulated version of the story. It starts with a completely new opening credits scene and new special effects shots of the 2019 L.A. cityscape. Then you get scenes you've seen before... but it's all put together using alternate takes, different camera angles and other completely unused footage. There are also a number of true deleted scenes, including a few that no one outside the production even knew existed before. All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects... as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. But get this: This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. Different lines, different dialogue. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!

Let me give you just a couple examples of some of the things you're going to see: Turns out Deckard had a wife, who now lives in one of the off-world colonies - you see a picture of her and Deckard together (except that, if my memory doesn't fail me, the picture is set on the same porch as Rachel's photograph of herself with her mother - consider the implications of that). There's also a brief scene, after Batty has killed Tyrell, where he gets back into the elevator and he's shaking - he's clearly disturbed at what he's just done. The elevator announces the floor in a computerized female voice, and Batty looks up at the speaker and says "Mother?" in this sort of child-like daze. Rutger Hauer's performance is just perfect. There's even two alternate endings, in which Deckard and Rachel have dialogue while driving off in Deckard's car. And this is all just scratching the surface. I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely amazing. If you think you know everything there is to know about Blade Runner, you are in for a REAL shock. Todd and I were just stunned after we finished watching this stuff. And keep in mind, every bit of this footage was shot by Ridley Scott in his prime... so it's just gorgeous. My head is still spinning over it all.

The final bit of footage that Charlie previewed exclusively for the crowd, was a behind-the-scenes look at the infamous reshoot from earlier this year featuring Joanna Cassidy's character Zhora. Now, when news of this reshoot leaked on the Net, it sparked an outcry from fans who feared that Scott was pulling a George Lucas and drastically altering the film with all new effects or something. Turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. The Final Cut of the film itself has been edited a tiny bit, with a couple of new scenes added and a little bit of footage excised. But the new effects tweaks are very minor. For example, in many shots involving the practical, on-set Spinner, you can see the suspension cables holding it in the air. These have been removed. In a couple instances members of the camera crew were accidentally captured on the edges of the frame, so they've been removed. And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

But the Zhora reshoot was what triggered the most controversy, so here's what it was about: Back in 1982, actress Joanna Cassidy wasn't allowed to do the stunt where Zhora crashes through the window panes. But if you watch the film closely, especially now in high-definition, it's painfully obvious that it's a stuntwoman in those shots. I mean, it's not even close. The woman has a bad afro-like wig on and it's bouncing around so much in those shots that it looks like Ronald McDonald going through the glass. So Cassidy was brought back in, dressed in her original costume and was given the same snake tattoo on her face. Then she was shot on a greenscreen stage, going through the same movements as the stunt woman. Her face and body angles were matched to the original stunt woman frame by frame, so they're identical. Then, Cassidy's head was digitally inserted over the stunt woman's and it was blended together, color-corrected and matched seamlessly. So now, when you see Zhora crash through the glass, it's actually Zhora all the way through. Charlie showed the behind-the-scenes at our panel, and then at the official Warner panel the next day, he showed the final shot. And again, it's amazing. The first time I saw this finished sequence a few months ago, I was actively looking for the effect... and I completely missed it. That's how good a job the CG team has done on this. It was only after going back and looking at the original shots on DVD that I realized what a big difference there was, and I was just floored.

On the whole, our DVD Sneak Panel was a huge success. We had a few tiny problems with the DVD player that was on hand to show the clips, but fortunately, the Comic-Con people were able to swap a malfunctioning unit out with a good replacement, so we were able to show virtually everything we'd planned to. And the crowd reaction was really terrific. I know that Charlie and his assistant producer, Paul Prischman, were both really pleased with the crowd reaction to the Blade Runner footage they'd brought. They've been working on this release for years now - the project actually first started back in 2000 - and this was the first time they'd gotten to see a public reaction to any of it. And as long as I've known Charlie, Blade Runner has been the one title he's most wanted to tackle as a special edition. I think you guys are going to agree that Charlie, Paul and the rest of their DVD team have really knocked it out of the park. It was really a special hour for all of us. Our thanks again to Robert, Javier, Michael, Charlie, Paul and everyone at Warner, CBS/Paramount and Comic-Con who made the event possible. Here's some cover art...

----SPOILER ALERT ENDS!------------------------------------
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:13 am

Sir, you mean 6th. Remember, the International Cut is being included. And I read that thing on DB....fascinating stuff! I'm not sure what the first thing I'm going to be watching will be on that 5-disc set.
-Ridley Scott
<<

alanisthruchaos

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:34 pm

Re:

Well the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing in the deleted section and we've already seen a clip of it,is the original Zhora chase with Deckard jumping ontop of cars and the cab ect.Seeing that iconic still and reading the comics adaptation of it it no doubt had to be the most bad ass action sequence in the film.As to why it was pared down there were probably copycat issues and the fact it undoubtedly stopped the picture cold.Like who would care about Roy Batty and the rest of the company after witnessing that.To me this alone would be worth the price of the set.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 am

Re:

alanisthruchaos wrote:Well the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing in the deleted section and we've already seen a clip of it,is the original Zhora chase with Deckard jumping ontop of cars and the cab ect.Seeing that iconic still and reading the comics adaptation of it it no doubt had to be the most bad ass action sequence in the film.As to why it was pared down there were probably copycat issues and the fact it undoubtedly stopped the picture cold.Like who would care about Roy Batty and the rest of the company after witnessing that.To me this alone would be worth the price of the set.

I've always imagined that Deck running over the cars was cut for pacing reasons.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:30 am

Re:

deleted wrote:
alanisthruchaos wrote:Well the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing in the deleted section and we've already seen a clip of it,is the original Zhora chase with Deckard jumping ontop of cars and the cab ect.Seeing that iconic still and reading the comics adaptation of it it no doubt had to be the most bad ass action sequence in the film.As to why it was pared down there were probably copycat issues and the fact it undoubtedly stopped the picture cold.Like who would care about Roy Batty and the rest of the company after witnessing that.To me this alone would be worth the price of the set.

I've always imagined that Deck running over the cars was cut for pacing reasons.

From the footage I've seen...it looked as though he didn't have good balance/poor footing when running up onto the vehicles.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:34 pm

Re:

Kipple wrote:
deleted wrote:

From the footage I've seen...it looked as though he didn't have good balance/poor footing when running up onto the vehicles.

That's understandable...yet he can scale impossible heights with two broken fingers...hmm.... :-k
-Ridley Scott
<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Re:

Kipple wrote:
deleted wrote:

In addition, Mr. Ford asked and received ?hazard pay? for the stunts that he did. All jokes aside, Mr. Ford does many of his stunts. He still does to this day with the Indy Jones series.
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:00 pm

did he not run away from a 20 tonne concreate ball in ROTLA ?
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

cudaclan

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:57 pm

nails6365 wrote:did he not run away from a 20 tonne concreate ball in ROTLA ?

Vic Armstrong did most of the dangerous stunts.
However; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLazBvbbGqA

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut