The Final Cut details are now HERE!!!

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:
eccentricbeing wrote:I think everyone is getting a little worked up on the runtime. I think it's an error.

From http://www.thedigitalbits.com front page.

(LATE UPDATE - 7/30/07 - 1:30 PM PDT)
The running time for the FINAL CUT should be 117 min... not 157

Well, that's some dystopian rain on our parade... NOT!

Ah, so he's pulling a bit of an Alien on us...of course, this will be much more than that.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:19 pm

-Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:39 am

Since my R2 version of Br runs some 1:57 minues, i kind of realised that 157 minutes was a mistakes, therefore 117 minutes or 1 hours 57 mins suggests its the same run time, leaving me with these conclusions -

* There is very minimal extra footage, infact only seconds worth (as indeed shown on the new unicorn and zhora chase scene, though the hockey mask scene is extensive, extensive enough to run wy past 117?

* the deleted scenes possibly didnt make it to the FC, but the bonus disc

* extra scenes replaced existing scenes.

** possibility they are actually quoting the originla cut ans restored version of BR ?? hmmm theres an idea..
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 am

They did say some stuff haf been pulled out. I'm guessing that between the new stuff and the old, there's a balance. I'll bet most of the new stuff, if not nearly all of it, is workprint bits.
-Ridley Scott
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:48 am

see and yeh shall find!

read this cut and paste, also from digital bits, AWESOME !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But by far the biggest response was to what came next: Charlie broke the official news on the long awaited Blade Runner: The Final Cut from Warner. He talked about the FIVE different versions of the film that will be on the release, the different versions of the release itself (2-disc, 4-disc and 5-disc DVDs, along with 5-disc Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions - extras on both high-def versions will be exactly the same - and the elaborate collector's case versions). You can find all the official details and artwork here. He then revealed that over 80 people were interviewed for the set, from Ridley Scott to virtually everyone associated with the production including Harrison Ford and all the major cast members. In terms of footage, he started by showing the Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner trailer (which you can all see for yourselves on Disc Two of Warner's 300 DVD - it streets tomorrow).

Next, Charlie revealed that the set will also include a whopping 47 minutes worth of deleted scenes, not seen in any previous version of the film. He then proceeded to debut an exclusive clip of some of this deleted footage. Now... Todd and I had the chance to preview all 47 minutes of this deleted material on Wednesday night, before our panel, and I can tell you first-hand that you have absolutely NO IDEA just how cool this material is. It's not just 47 minutes worth of deleted material - it's like getting a 5? th or a 6th version of the film itself. The material is all edited together chronologically, to create an encapsulated version of the story. It starts with a completely new opening credits scene and new special effects shots of the 2019 L.A. cityscape. Then you get scenes you've seen before... but it's all put together using alternate takes, different camera angles and other completely unused footage. There are also a number of true deleted scenes, including a few that no one outside the production even knew existed before. All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects... as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. But get this: This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. Different lines, different dialogue. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!

Let me give you just a couple examples of some of the things you're going to see: Turns out Deckard had a wife, who now lives in one of the off-world colonies - you see a picture of her and Deckard together (except that, if my memory doesn't fail me, the picture is set on the same porch as Rachel's photograph of herself with her mother - consider the implications of that). There's also a brief scene, after Batty has killed Tyrell, where he gets back into the elevator and he's shaking - he's clearly disturbed at what he's just done. The elevator announces the floor in a computerized female voice, and Batty looks up at the speaker and says "Mother?" in this sort of child-like daze. Rutger Hauer's performance is just perfect. There's even two alternate endings, in which Deckard and Rachel have dialogue while driving off in Deckard's car. And this is all just scratching the surface. I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely amazing. If you think you know everything there is to know about Blade Runner, you are in for a REAL shock. Todd and I were just stunned after we finished watching this stuff. And keep in mind, every bit of this footage was shot by Ridley Scott in his prime... so it's just gorgeous. My head is still spinning over it all.

The final bit of footage that Charlie previewed exclusively for the crowd, was a behind-the-scenes look at the infamous reshoot from earlier this year featuring Joanna Cassidy's character Zhora. Now, when news of this reshoot leaked on the Net, it sparked an outcry from fans who feared that Scott was pulling a George Lucas and drastically altering the film with all new effects or something. Turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. The Final Cut of the film itself has been edited a tiny bit, with a couple of new scenes added and a little bit of footage excised. But the new effects tweaks are very minor. For example, in many shots involving the practical, on-set Spinner, you can see the suspension cables holding it in the air. These have been removed. In a couple instances members of the camera crew were accidentally captured on the edges of the frame, so they've been removed. And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

But the Zhora reshoot was what triggered the most controversy, so here's what it was about: Back in 1982, actress Joanna Cassidy wasn't allowed to do the stunt where Zhora crashes through the window panes. But if you watch the film closely, especially now in high-definition, it's painfully obvious that it's a stuntwoman in those shots. I mean, it's not even close. The woman has a bad afro-like wig on and it's bouncing around so much in those shots that it looks like Ronald McDonald going through the glass. So Cassidy was brought back in, dressed in her original costume and was given the same snake tattoo on her face. Then she was shot on a greenscreen stage, going through the same movements as the stunt woman. Her face and body angles were matched to the original stunt woman frame by frame, so they're identical. Then, Cassidy's head was digitally inserted over the stunt woman's and it was blended together, color-corrected and matched seamlessly. So now, when you see Zhora crash through the glass, it's actually Zhora all the way through. Charlie showed the behind-the-scenes at our panel, and then at the official Warner panel the next day, he showed the final shot. And again, it's amazing. The first time I saw this finished sequence a few months ago, I was actively looking for the effect... and I completely missed it. That's how good a job the CG team has done on this. It was only after going back and looking at the original shots on DVD that I realized what a big difference there was, and I was just floored.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:14 am

Thank you so much for sharing that find, nails6365. So far, that's the most extensive,inside details yet. Seems like they've left no stone un-turned and there won't be a single disappointed fan. I always knew this was gonna be worth the wait... and it was a damned long one.
ImageImageImage
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:30 pm

nails6365 wrote:All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects... as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. But get this: This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. Different lines, different dialogue. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!

This I find very interesting. I wasn't very fond of the VO in the theatrical version (probably because I was introduced to BR through the DC, so that was what I fell in love with, heh), but I very much like to hear these.

nails6365 wrote:And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

Is the original exchange that matches the lips in the workprint? If so, I wonder why they didn't just use that. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my set to find out :)
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:58 pm

Merc wrote:
nails6365 wrote:All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects... as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. But get this: This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. Different lines, different dialogue. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!

This I find very interesting. I wasn't very fond of the VO in the theatrical version (probably because I was introduced to BR through the DC, so that was what I fell in love with, heh), but I very much like to hear these.

nails6365 wrote:And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

Is the original exchange that matches the lips in the workprint? If so, I wonder why they didn't just use that. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my set to find out :)

It's the same dialog from the DC, but with Ben Ford's mouth and chin digitally in there, lip syncing the words.
Last edited by deleted on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 pm

Merc wrote:Is the original exchange that matches the lips in the workprint? If so, I wonder why they didn't just use that. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my set to find out :)

According to Future Noir, the lip movements match-up better in the WP... but it doesn't say perfect.
Also, Abdul never mentions Taffey Lewis' name.
pg. 343 *lazy*
ImageImageImage
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:04 pm

Gene Ettix wrote:

Merc wrote:Is the original exchange that matches the lips in the workprint? If so, I wonder why they didn't just use that. I guess I'll have to wait until I get my set to find out :)

According to Future Noir, the lip movements match-up better in the WP... but it doesn't say perfect.
Also, Abdul never mentions Taffey Lewis' name.
pg. 343 *lazy*

The workprint is different dialog. That's why the lips match. They fixed it so that the DC words are lip synced.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:56 pm

?Do the Final Cut credits finally, finally include the actor who played Abdul Ben Hassan? I'd like it very much, it would be a honor long time spared from him...
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:07 pm

-Ridley Scott
<<

dmohrUSC

Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Interview with Charles de Lauzirika:

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=11285

Among other things, we finally find out that Holden's hospital scene (scenes!) will *not* be in the Final Cut, but that Lauzirika hopes to get the Final Cut into theaters beyond the NY & LA premieres...

My god, it really sounds like Lauzirika has done Ridley Scott one better with this new 45-minute outtakes-&-unreleased-footage sequencing of an "alternate" BR, which as described seems like every BR fan's ultimate 'what-if' cinematic fantasy come true...not that it won't be history in the making to finally behold, but Scott's Final Cut won't even be the most spectacular aspect of the new DVD set...!
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:38 pm

The CHUD interview is awesome, and there are some really cool pictures. Check out the "Family Portrait" with Ridley Scott and all the BR actors who showed at Comic-Con.

I wonder which LA movie theatre can do 4 Megapixel resolution projection? The big theatre at ArcLight Hollywood, formerly the Cinerama Dome? The big theatre at the Chinese? I doubt that Disney would loan out their precious El Capitan, but I am pretty sure that the El Capitan has one of the most advanced digital projection systems in Los Angeles. I'm sure they could project the 4K version of the Final Cut no problem. It's just the politics of Disney letting Warner Bros. use their flagship theatre, and for an R-rated movie, no less...I'm sure it wouldn't fly.

I still want to see a screening at the Million Dollar Theatre Downtown. I would hope that part of the restoration budget went into setting it up for digital projection. I don't think Warner Bros. is going to want to put this into a theatre that doesn't do digital. Striking a film print is a pain in the ass. Filling a 500GB hard drive with digital files and FedEx-ing it over to a theatre is so much neater and easier. If the only thing they can show at the Million $ is film, the idea of such a showing is quite unlikely.

Heh, give me a top-of-the-line projector and the new DVD set, and I could prolly mickey-mouse a showing of the movie there from my MacBook. When Patrick Read Johnson showed the rough cut of 5-25-77 at Celebration IV, he interfaced his MacBook Pro to a Christie theatrical digital projector, and basically showed the movie from the hard drive of the computer using the same copy of Final Cut Pro he cut the movie with. And that worked OK.
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut