<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:09 pm

Possible Price for Blade Runner Set

I just came across this on another BR board:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6461120.html

Baker also singled out Warner?s upcoming 25th anniversary Blade Runner releases, which include four-disc and five-disc configurations, as especially critical for the studio.

The five-disc Blade Runner set is $78.92 and four-disc is $34.99. Blu-ray and HD DVD versions of the five-disc configuration also will be available day and date.

Exact street dates have not been specified yet though.

With the $43 difference between the 4 and the 5 disc (seems a bit high for just one more disc), I wonder if the five disc is going to be that briefcase set we caught a glimpse of earlier this year.
<<

Jo?o Heleno

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:02 pm

The extra 5th disc will contain what?
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:08 pm

I can live without the briefcase. However, I don't know if I can live without what's on disk #5.
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:01 pm

msgeek wrote:I can live without the briefcase. However, I don't know if I can live without what's on disk #5.

Same here. Guess I gots to get me some overtime! ;)
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 am

My best guess is that disc 5 will contain the workprint.
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:40 am

eccentricbeing wrote:My best guess is that disc 5 will contain the workprint.

Damn. Too bad. I've never seen the storied "workprint" version of BR and I guess at this rate I never will.
<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:18 am

Jo?o Heleno wrote:The extra 5th disc will contain what?

The EZDVD listing (which was taken down shortly after it went up, so I'm not entirely sure if it was completely accurate) listed the fifth disc as "Workprint and Enhanced Content" (which may or may not include the Channel Four documentary).
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:33 am

msgeek wrote:
eccentricbeing wrote:My best guess is that disc 5 will contain the workprint.

Damn. Too bad. I've never seen the storied "workprint" version of BR and I guess at this rate I never will.

We've waited all these years. We finally get a fantastic release. We'll probably be finally getting the workprint.

And you've decided not to bother because of a price point?

At this stage, I refuse to believe that money will prevent any fan from obtaining this. The 4-disc set is for the regular BR fan. The 5 is for, well, basically anyone who posts here.

Forgive me, but this thing is the highlight of the year for me, so I'm rather excited.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

msgeek

Elite Rep Detector
Elite Rep Detector

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:28 am

deleted wrote:At this stage, I refuse to believe that money will prevent any fan from obtaining this. The 4-disc set is for the regular BR fan. The 5 is for, well, basically anyone who posts here.

Unless I want to turn to crime, the price is a dealbreaker. I'm a returning college student whose tuition just went up, and whose husband has cancer. So yeah, reluctantly, price-point matters.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52 am

I was afraid it was going to cost more than this. If I wasn't such a big fan myself I think I would buy just the bare bones set and wait for the extras to show up elsewhere online, and even ebay.

I do feel they are taking advantage of the fans like us (they usually do) by almost doubling the price for a 'deluxe' edition, but considering the fact that a 5 disc bootleg of the laserdiscs has sold on ebay for almost $200 I think they might feel like they are giving us a deal. I personally have been saving up for this set just in case it cost over $100. I am pretty glad it isn't and I am also pretty sure it will most likely be offered on Amazon for a discount.

For example the Special Edition Box set from 2000(?) had no new version of the movie and only came with posters, lobby cards, Film Cell, and DC Script, and was retailing over $80, and I got it from Amazon for for $40-$50. The DC DVD was selling for under $20 at the time so it was basicly a collectors premium for 'manufactured collectables' (made just for collectors). Collectors in general, since the big late 90s boom have become more selective and demanding, but up untill the announcement for this set, it was still commanding a premium.

I am hoping between Amazon and Deep Discount DVD, Mrs. Geek can afford her set or or one of us can let her borrow the 5th disc down the road.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm

msgeek wrote:
deleted wrote:At this stage, I refuse to believe that money will prevent any fan from obtaining this. The 4-disc set is for the regular BR fan. The 5 is for, well, basically anyone who posts here.

Unless I want to turn to crime, the price is a dealbreaker. I'm a returning college student whose tuition just went up, and whose husband has cancer. So yeah, reluctantly, price-point matters.

I understand, I'm just getting more and more revved up about this. It's getting harder to contain my excitement.

Well, the 5-disc set is going to be the briefcase with the other tangible stuff, I assume. Of course, the HD-DVD version is going to be even more expensive...
-Ridley Scott
<<

PiperKev

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:04 pm

I would think that the $78.92 is full retail and that Deep Discount or Amazon will have the 5-disc set for substantially less... :D
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:40 pm

PiperKev wrote:I would think that the $78.92 is full retail and that Deep Discount or Amazon will have the 5-disc set for substantially less... :D

I agree. Maybe it will come out around DD's 20% sale in November!
-Ridley Scott
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:57 am

Yeah, it's possible that the price would fall to $69.99 at Best Buy or something on the day of its release.

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut