FAQ  •  Login

Empire magazine: Blade Runner final cut special

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Merc

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:37 pm

I've always heard him say kinship as well, but I can't be sure if it really is being said or if I just heard it that way the first time(it's been my experience that once you hear something one way it's very difficult not to hear it thereafter).

I've always took it as an extension of the line "Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave". I don't see the line (if it is actually being said) as literally meaning Roy and he are related (both replicants), but rather he now understood what it felt like to be in the replicants' place.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:07 am

The word is kinship. Future Noir even talks about it.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 am

My... I never redeemed this thread back then! (read page 2 and on)
http://bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I wish I had posted that article as I promised, it was written and all! Now that the kinship debate resurfaced, I was just about to send it to Gary Carden, but if Future Noir mentions it, I dunno. I don't own FutureNoir. Someone at ComicCon please go and confirm from Hauer if he said Ah! Kinship! or not. All I have is an email from Mr. Hauer's website domain, signed by him (or someone pretending to be him), telling me that he never said that, but then I can't prove that it was in fact Mr. Hauer the one who composed and sent that reply to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:55 am

My Future Noir's in another town. would anyone mind quoting the relevant text?
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

nexuszix

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:03 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:
Ridiculous. It's quite clear that batty shouts, "Quiche!" when he grabs Deckard's arm. Replicants love a good quiche, because 'real men don't eat it'. :P

:lol: EXACTLY !!

As far as i'm concerned he doesnt say "Ah ! Kinship !" at all....

Its merely an expulsion of effort vocalised...

Its also not in the subtitles or in any script i've seen either,if people want to think hes says ahhhh ! bisto ,kinship or anything else fine just dont try and tell me he does !
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm

I've got an idea.

I'll believe that Roy (not necessarily Haur) said the kinship line, and YOU can believe whatever you wish. :D
-Ridley Scott
<<

nexuszix

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Deal ! :D
" wake up..time to die !"
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:59 pm

Still waiting for that quote from Future Noir! Anyone?
"Nobody respects you later, for having been a nice guy and given up." -Ridley Scott
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:Still waiting for that quote from Future Noir! Anyone?

I've been tearing apart my room looking for my copy, but I can't find it...this is pissing me off, I usually keep the book handy.
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:06 pm

I have been looking at my copy and reading all the related sections, but so far have not come accross it. It could be mentioned as part of something else, but I am kind of surprised that it isn't even talked about in the book unless it is a rather new aspect to the movies mythology.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 am

OK, just read:

Director Ridley Scott wanted the audience to find out that Deckard is (or, at the very least, might be) a replicant himself. (In Dick's original book the possibility was hinted at, but Deckard was eventually tested and was human.) However, it was a passage in an early version of the script that gave Scott the idea, even though this "We were brothers, Roy Batty and I!" passage was intended to be metaphorical, not literal.) This is still hinted at when Roy grabs Deckard as he's about to fall and says "Kinship!"

Roy: Kinship! [(Note: There is debate about whether this is actually said. Hauer claims he didn't, but that is irrelevant as it could have been dubbed in by Scott later (as I think it almost certainly was.)]

Sources:
http://brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_Deck-a-Rep.htm
http://brmovie.com/Downloads/Docs/BR_Mu ... runner.txt
-Ridley Scott
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:57 pm

That's not Future Noir, that's just some guy's website!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:04 pm

I. J. Thompson wrote:That's not Future Noir, that's just some guy's website!

Did you see the part of my post where it said "Sources"? :roll:

I told you, I can't find my copy.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Well, I said Gary C. to use his discretion as content manager, and he uploaded the article anyway (with some nice pics added, BTW, many thanks), but it won't be featured in BZ frontpage for the moment, which is fine with me. For those going to ComicCon, I ask again to try and get any info on this you can.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Just picked up a copy of the Empire mag with the 20 page Blade Runner article today. My local Barnes & Noble here in the US finally got it in.

Most of the information is taken from Paul Sammon's Future Noir, where the mag is somewhat misleading in the "new" interviews, matter. However there is a new interview with Rutger Hauer and the producer of the Final Cut project.

So of course you must go out and buy it, simply because it offers a few new tantalizing morsels of information to digest. I did... =P~

I'm like Homer Simpson who sees a nirvana of donut paradise when it comes to Blade Runner. I'll try and walk through transparent walls to get the prize without thinking about the invisible barrier blocking my entry.
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut