FAQ  •  Login

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they re-did the Esper photo as well, since the Zhora in the photo wasn't Joanna. I remember reading how PO'd Joanna was about that! :D
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:59 am

deleted wrote:As for the re-shoot stuff, that sounds GREAT! But are we getting the snake dance or not? That's what I'm wondering.

Was her pet snake still alive for the reshooting? :P
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:11 pm

I dunno. Burmese pythons live for more than 20 years, I've heard. Maybe it is alive.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

marlec

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:35 am

Hmmm reshooting of Zhora`s retiremant scene was that really needed i thought it was fine the way it was except for the stunt double.

I cant really think of anything that does needs reshooting except for being to able to arrange that the sequence where Deckard retires Zhora then walks off only to be grabbed by Leon a few moments later should be put back that way as it was intented instead of it being the way it has been that after Zhora he buys his booze and meets up with Bryant and then gets grabbed by Leon.

I cant see Ford being interested in reshooting any scenes and some of the cast members are since deceased.

Can anyone else think of any scenes that require a reshoot, theres quite a few bits and pieces that could use a CGI touch up here and there but thats all. I hope we get news on the release date soon i am very very curious
<<

counterstrike

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:21 am

http://www.filmick.co.uk/search?q=blade+runner

Sunday, April 29, 2007

No Hauer In Blade Runner Reshoots

Some days ago, I e-mailed Rutger Hauer's people to enquire if he'd taken part in the Blade Runner reshoots. They didn't reply.

Then, I was told he wasn't - but that was by somebody I have to kind of pretend I never get any info from, if you know what I mean. So I couldn't say a peep. But now, at last, it's official:

There's no reshooting with Rutger Hauer happening for the Blade Runner final cut. Several sequences featuring Hauer have been altered, but not through any filming of new material with the actor. This will be stuff like CG replacement compositions for dicky opticals, and the changing of errors in matte paintings and model backgrounds.

Of course, this means the scene where Batty meets his maker then offs him is going to stay this way. I'd been led to believe that a subsequent scene was on the cards where Batty then takes the elevator one floor higher to find the real Tyrell in a life-support tank, revealing the one we'd previously seen to be a replicant copy. I guess that's something we'll never get to see - unless Scott turns into George Lucas and comes back for a fiddle in a decade or two. Scott turning into Lucas? Sure - just after Michael Bay turns into Alan Resnais.

Apparently now confirmed as taking part in the reshoots - which are all done and dusted - are Joanna Cassidy and, possibly for voice work only, Benjamin Ford, Harrison's son. Rumoured as taking part is Daryl Hannah, but it's a loud rumout and I think we should keep a close eye on it. Nobody else has been rumoured - at least to me - as yet.

JoBlo caught wind of the Benjamin Ford story too. They also report that the trailer will be on the 300 DVD in August - but don't say anything at all, curiously, about the film's theatrical release.

I'm told we can expect a run in cinemas before the DVD package hits in time for Christmas. No word on how big a cinema release, but I'm betting on a small-ish one.

[EDIT: Apparently, there was a press release announcing the theatrical release. It was issued in 2006 - before film ick became what it is now - so I don't have a copy. So, the theatrical release seems to be 100% sure]

Friday, April 27, 2007
Replicant Reshoot Clarification

Now, according to the original source of the Blade Runner reshoot details - and factoring in the contributions of a fresh voice who piped up in the meantime - there's a little bit more I can tell you about the new filming.

Apparently, all of the shooting was studio based, much of it using green screen (or similar). It seems that the new footage isn't so much replacement shots as replacement shot elements.

Who is to do the blending? Well, let's just put it like this... they're the ones who will be making these images work. And there's probably a reason that looks like an anagram, batfans.

A third source (brilliant bloke, rarely wants to go on record - has told me so much in the past that I couldn't even begin to tell you without losing his trust and respect) has promised more info at a later date - but I thought I'd better fill you in a tad in the meantime

http://www.joblo.com/blade-runner-tweaking

Your pals at JoBlo.com, though, have also learned that Harrison Ford's son Ben has also been shooting a few scenes with a pitch perfect impersonation of his famous pop. Basically, they're aiming to rectify a few erroneous shots that have never sat too well with fans and filmmakers alike. We've also learned that a trailer for this tweaked bad boy will be on the 300 DVD, which should be hitting stores in August
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks for the info, counterstrike :)
Much appreciated. =D>
Very interesting. :-k
ImageImageImage
<<

I. J. Thompson

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Can I be cryogenically frozen 'til August, please? :)
<<

eccentricbeing

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:12 pm

excellent news, counterstrike. this stuff just gets better and better. i would have never guessed this would go the distance, but i see that there is tremendous effort behind putting everything together. 300 was an entertaining film, so buying the dvd wouldn't be spending $20 on a blade runner trailer. :lol:
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:03 pm

"We've also learned that a trailer for this tweaked bad boy will be on the 300 DVD, which should be hitting stores in August"

Well shoot! As it turns out, I just happened to love 300! Enough to see it in theaters twice! And of course, that means I just might be buying the DVD! :D
-Ridley Scott
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Cool! Sounds like we will still get our theatrical run.
<<

Noneoftheabove

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 am

Nexus Frog wrote:Cool! Sounds like we will still get our theatrical run.

And if it is a limited release I'll need to think of some clever way to convince my theatre to get the movie. This theatre I am speaking of is no small town affair, they have about 15/20 screens in this marble, art deco, grand cinema. If they can't at least spare one screen to this classic, I'm giving up on the whole movie going experience!
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Tue May 01, 2007 5:42 am

New Scenes Shot for Blade Runner Box Set Release

New Scenes Shot for Blade Runner Box Set Release

By L. Vincent Poupard
Published April 30, 2007

The second half of this year will see the release of the, "Blade Runner" Box Set. The set will not only include never before seen footage. It will also contain newly shot scenes for the 25-year-old movie. Many consider "Blade Runner" to be Ridley Scott's best work.

Joanna Cassidy, who played the Replicant Zhora in the movie, has stated that she has been part of newly shot scenes. According to her official website, she has been a part of the reshooting of many of her original scenes, and at least one new scene.

According to her website, Joanna has kept her original costume from, "Blade Runner," in her closet for all of these years. Amazingly, she still fits the suit after twenty-six years.

There have been other movies in the past that have been re-released with newly shot scenes only to have a backlash from fans. The redone versions of "Star Wars" would be a prime example of this.

"Blade Runner," is considered to be a classic movie by many science fiction fans. Director Ridley Scott has stated that he had never been happy with the way the movie turned out.

According to many sources, Scott also asked Harrison Ford to reshoot some of the scenes from the original "Blade Runner." Ford has been very negative abou8t the movie in the past and has stated that he was upset that he ever worked on the project.

The "Blade Runner" Box Set is scheduled to have deleted scenes, the new scenes, commentary, and extended scenes. Many movies are actually two to three times longer then the version that is released in theatres.

The director will shoot many extra scenes to decide later what will work, and what will not. With the advent of DVD technology, many directors began adding these deleted scenes to give a better understanding of the original ideas about the movie.

The current DVD versions of "Blade Runner" only include a few extra scenes, or extended scenes. Many have criticized Ridley Scott in the past because of the lack of extras on the "Blade Runner" DVDs in the past. Scott promises that this multi-disk set will include more extras then any fan of the movie could ever ask for.

The movie, "Blade Runner," was based off of the book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." Dick and Scott had a cordial relationship about the film, even though Dick was very upset about the way that characters were developed in "Blade Runner." Phillip K. Dick died four months after the release of the film from a stroke.

"Blade Runner" will always be considered as one of the great classic science fiction films. It will be interesting to se if the fans accept the new version with open arms, or turned up noses.

Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... r_box.html
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue May 01, 2007 6:52 am

If anyone here treats the final cut on Blade Runner with a turned up nose, then they don't really belong here.

It's possible to have an appropriately critical opinion, though.

Man, I hope they shot the snake dance.

So, judging from Scott's comments, does anyone think there is the chance the workprint will be on this set?
-Ridley Scott
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 pm

deleted wrote:If anyone here treats the final cut on Blade Runner with a turned up nose, then they don't really belong here.

It's possible to have an appropriately critical opinion, though.

Man, I hope they shot the snake dance.

So, judging from Scott's comments, does anyone think there is the chance the workprint will be on this set?

Well, if Ridley Scott makes it even more clearer that Deckard is a replicant in the Final Cut, then I'm sure there's going to be plenty of people turning their noses up. Even for Deck-a-Rep fans like myself, I think beating people over the head with the concept goes against all the subtlety that the film embraces.

I honestly don't understand the fascination with the snake dance. It adds nothing to the story and seems as superfluous as having Paul Verhoeven going back to reshoot a love scene between Quaid and the three-breasted prostitute in Total Recall. At least going back to shoot the crypt scene would bring something to the story, but I digress.

Lastly, I hope the workprint is included in the boxset for completeness. For once I'd like to view in a means different for that of a shaky camcorder. :wink:
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue May 01, 2007 11:06 pm

I interpret turning the nose up as being snooty. Blade Runner fans cannot afford to be that.

Plus, I have complete and total faith in Scott's handling with this film.

The snake dance was a scene that was supposed to be filmed, but wasn't for budgetary reasons. The chance that now he may have filmed a scene he always wanted to film excites me.

And yes, that camcorder boot saddens me.So many other workprints get nice releases. I mean, look at Apocalypse Now, for goodness sake!
-Ridley Scott
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut