FAQ  •  Login

Update: Blade Runner dvd

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:36 pm

DVDbeaver explained what i expected, in that the original DVD release was froom the 70mm `blow up` version that was knocking around at the time, this results in loss of information each side. in other version i have see, a full shot of a spinner can be seen in the beginning of the film where the camera zooms in on holden in the interview room (ok, just before).

As for the 5.1DTS/DD that people are craving for, it can be a really simple process - whether the original is multi channel or not. 5.1 has been around since the 70`s (possibly earlier) as a way to expand the theater goers experience, but more recent DVD re-releases have seen 1.0 dolby films re-mastered as 5.1 (take Enter The Dragon as an example), here we listen to a 70`s lalo schafrin score re-recorded in 5.1.

I`d wager a heafty bet that BR was recorded in 5.1, but remeber it was a flop at the cinema and therefore only a mono channel was first needed. Stereo didnt turn up on the VHS scene for a few years after. I would have to agree that Warners rushed copy of BR to be one of the first DVD releases, simply did not get the full treatement of disks released these days.

I am surprised and not surprised at the abscence of 5.1 on the new Warner BR DVD, now thinking on the lines that the release next year will be the release of the century.

anybody else know what the extra scenes are ;)
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:36 pm

I think that we should not dig too deeply into this release's sound. This is just a placeholder.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:56 pm

deleted wrote:I think that we should not dig too deeply into this release's sound. This is just a placeholder.

Agree...but also a worthwile investment to keep people working on future BR projects and licenses
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:26 am

ridleynoir wrote:
deleted wrote:I think that we should not dig too deeply into this release's sound. This is just a placeholder.

Agree...but also a worthwile investment to keep people working on future BR projects and licenses

What?

People are not going to stop doing stuff with BR if the single disc movie only edition doesn't have 5.1.
-Ridley Scott
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Just saying that the more money they think the license has in it , the more cool stuff they will put out, and the more money this disc makes will force them to go even further to get more money from the same people that bought that one. Either that or they will just charge a lot for it and not expect to sell to many copies. We need to prove to them BR is a hot property if we wan't them to go all out on this next set and do some licensed goodies.
<<

Nexus Frog

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:29 pm

Re: Update: Blade Runner dvd

hacker233 wrote:It looks like the dvd that is going to be released this sept will just be a disc that is really just designed to update the original Snapper case release (one of Warner's first EVER releases on DVD back in 1997) in the meantime. This is a single-disc release, with no new extras, but you'll be pleased to know that the video has been completely remastered with a brand new anamorphic widescreen film transfer.

Here is the link for info: http://digitalbits.com/#brnew

The video, case, and especially the menus are much better than the 1997 Director's Cut DVD.
<<

Kipple

Honorary Member

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:54 pm

Warner confirms Blade Runner DVD plans

Warner confirms Blade Runner DVD plans

Warner Home Video have confirmed their plans for Ridley Scott's long-awaited definitive version of Blade Runner with a recently issued press release detailing plans for two separate DVD releases, one later this year and another to follow in 2007.

Warner Home Video (WHV) announced today that it has acquired worldwide rights to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and plans two new DVD releases of the futuristic classic. Rights had lapsed a year ago, but negotiations for a long-term license have now been completed, and the film will again be available to the public.

First, a restored and remastered DVD version of the 1992 Director's Cut will debut in September in the U.S. and October in the UK for a special four-month limited release, after which it will be placed on moratorium by WHV.

Later in 2007, to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary, the studio will unveil Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Scott's definitive new version of his science-fiction masterpiece. The film will be released theatrically in select major U.S. cities, followed by a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will also contain three alternate versions of Blade Runner: the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut, the Expanded International Theatrical Cut and the 1992 Director's Cut. Ample, ground-breaking bonus features will also be included.

In making the announcement, Jeff Baker, WHV's Senior VP and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog said: "This is clearly Ridley's signature film and we are thrilled to have it back. While details of the new DVDs will be announced later, we wanted to get this great news to the many serious film buffs and ardent Blade Runner fans who've been so patient, despite besieging us with thousands of annual requests in recent years for new Blade Runner DVDs.

Continued Baker, "A number of people have told me that in the start-up days of DVD, Blade Runner was absolutely the first DVD title they wanted, so much so that they purchased it even before their first DVD player! I guarantee these fans our new DVDs will be well worth waiting for."

Blade Runner -- starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah -- made its first appearance in U.S. theaters on June 25, 1982, dazzling audiences with its stylish, brooding look into the future. From its intelligent, provocative story line to its stunning camera work and state-of-the art special effects, Blade Runner opened the door to a new view of tomorrow.

Set in a multi-ethnic, overcrowded, high-tech city of the future, Blade Runner was also a benchmark in production design and helped propel the "cyberpunk" look into mainstream American consciousness.

11:54am Friday 26th January 2007

Source
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm

I can barely wait anymore...we're so close.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Mr.Origami

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:34 am

Hi to all the forum members!

The news linked by Kipple sounds like an old statement by Warner already published through the net on may 2006. It talks about the same thing already announced, in other words the release of the restored director's cut dvd and the other special edition for 2007.
So I'm wandering when we will receive a real date of release for the new final cut projection in theaters and the following dvd collector package!
I'm waiting since the first announcement in 2001 and now the waiting is becoming more and more unbearable!

Take care

Mr.Origami
<<

citizenchris099

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:07 pm

is it wrong for me to worry? is this solid...in the bag sorta deal? or twin peaks season 2. ne twin peaks fan knows what i mean w/that reference.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:00 pm

It is solid. It is happening. The electric sheep, though, are not real.
-Ridley Scott
<<

mike81859

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:58 pm

how about the cover art

I came across a story that dealt with cover art of dvd's. The question was asked..... why does the cover art have to be so bad on the covers of great movies? Read the story

Do you think the cover art on what's been released on Bladerunner has been good so far? Could it have been better? Will the new dvd set have the same artwork or will there be an all new cover? If you could pick a shot from the movie for the cover art....what would it be?
Thank you Blade Zone!
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:08 pm

The cover art isn't always bad. Sheesh.

I think Blade Runner's cover art is great. If they go with new art, I'm cool with that too. I trust them.
-Ridley Scott
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:57 am

i don't dislike BR cover art so much, but it surely could be way better by the time the whole film is packed of stunning images. they could have been using one of those. the only thing i can't get in BR cover art is the characters faces on the bottom side:

it just makes no sense to me. i think, for example, the following image could have been used instead: it's more exciting, and i think it really describes those (Blade Runners) who run on the edge of a blade, always in balance between life and death:

<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:16 am

I'd like them to go with the "Blade Runner 2000" poster,

Either that, or the wonderful art of Drew Struzan.
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut