FAQ  •  Login

You Never Forget Your First Time

Moderator: Wilkins Rep-Detect BR2349

<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:19 pm

I'd say that Burning Bush would be waaay better to look at!

Oh, wait... you were talking biblical. ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:57 am

Centauro wrote:I'd say that Burning Bush would be waaay better to look at!

Oh, wait... you were talking biblical. ;)

Maybe, maybe not... :wink:
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Deckard234

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:02 am

Well i saw Bladerunner on video, i was too young to see it in the cinema.At first i did'nt like it too much as it seemed too slow and i was expecting a action style flick but after repeated viewing i started to realise just how groundbreaking and deep this film is.When i saw the directors cut it was just perfect as i felt the voice over in the original did'nt work and it just seemed best version of the film as ridley scott intended.

Now iam a big big philip k dick fan thanks to bladerunner and also the film made me go and study philosphy at university to try and understand 'what constitutes reality' and 'what does it mean to be human' which are the concepts which lie at the heart of the film.

Bladerunner is still my favourite film of all time and always will be

Roger
'In time all these moments will be lost, like tears in the rain'
<<

The Old BladeRunner

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:24 am

this was about the yr 2002 and i was in a hotel watching tv at 3 in the morining, i guess i couldnt sleep. maybe it was the skakes, part of the business, lol. i flipped to a movie station and so u know, im a sucker for dazzling cinemetography so as soon as i came across the sci fi channel i stopped. i came across the movie at the point were Deckard is hanging off the roof while climbing. i watched the movie until the elevator door closed, watched the credits and went to sleep. the next moring i described it to a frnd and he immediately said, "Blade Runner, ya thts a great film!!"
days went by and i got caught up w school work and just about two yrs later when i was in my college library vid section i spotted those characteristic red letters, so i rented it again, and again. i think the card on the inside covor was used up.
watching tht movie became a ritual weekly for me. and......as it turns i know own both versions and hope to own another like the dallas/denver sneekpreview version.

if i hadnt of surfed at 3 in the morning, who knows if id ever know of this movie.... ?
That hurt! That was irrational of you. Not to mention ... unsportsmanlike.Heh heh...ha ha ha! Where are you going?"
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:56 pm

You Came Along Just in Time

Like others my age, I had enjoyed Harrison Ford as both Han Solo and Indiana Jones. Yeah, I was a fan of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark; it was all good popcorn fun.

I'd learned about and followed the production of Blade Runner in the Sci-Fi magazines (Starlog, etc.) of the day. From the few photographs I'd seen and the brief snippets of plot in the articles, I knew I was in for a cinematic experience like no other. For one, none of the photos of Ford showed the trademark devil-may-care smirk. Every shot showed him grimacing, or distant, or in pain, and generally rain-soaked and miserable in his shabby clothes and uncharacteristically short hair. I was intrigued.

I first saw Blade Runner during its first theatrical release in Seattle.

From the first notes of the soundtrack during the simple opening credits and the opening crawl, I knew I was not in for a blockbuster adventure; this was serious business. The fade into the Hades landscape drew me into the story immediately. The "all-seeing eye" warned me that I was entering new territory and there was no going back. I plunged headlong into the story without a second thought.

I never once looked away from the screen until the closing credits when the "Ride into the Sunset" faded to black. I simply closed my eyes, rubbing them a bit (I don't think I blinked enough while watching the film) and continued to listen to Vangelis? end titles music.

Once the house lights came up, I got up, dumped my untouched popcorn and Coke in the trash and walked out of the theater into the Seattle rain.

I looked around at the jam of humanity and vehicles, the starless night sky and the high rise buildings; "the future is now," I thought.

Blade Runner came along at just the right time in my life; I was beginning to question a lot of things and this supposed "summer movie" led me to start finding my own answers.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
<<

stbrnd

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:55 pm

I guess I could have seen BR in the theaters the first time, but in my area it did not have a long run, and I guess I just didn't get to it.

I saw this movie for the first time with a couple of frends in the Undergrad Library at UNC Chapel Hill. Had to be about 1980-81. We just went in, looked at the movie catalog and picked one. I had no idea what the movie was about, or who was in it, who directed it, nothing. Just looking for a cheap way (remember I was a college student) to kill a couple of hours.

One of the things that really got me then was the soundtrack. You wore headphones when you watched a movie in the library so I got a good dose of Vangelis that day. I thought it was amazing. It was something I had never heard the likes of before, haunting and mysterious, and definitely a character in this movie.

The plot, which was harder to follow due to being distracted by people walking by, was confusing to me the first time. Even still, I KNEW that I had just watched something special. My two friends shrugged and said they liked it, but it could have used more skin for an R rated flick. I just came back a couple of days later and watched it again by myself. This is what I call my real first time. After that viewing, I have since seen every other version that I know to exist in some format or another. I have seen this movie at least 250 times over the 24 years since that first time. Never get tired of it, and always find new things to see in it. That to me is the mark of a classic film worthy of the "Best of All Time" award. One that you can watch over and over and its stays fresh.

Oh, one last thing I remember, in the last scene, when Deckert comes into his apartment and bends down to kiss Rachel he has is gun in his hand. I remember thinking that he was going to kill her, or she was going to jump up and fight him. The whole trust/love thing took me completely by surprise the first time.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:20 am

stbrnd wrote:The plot, which was harder to follow due to being distracted by people walking by, was confusing to me the first time. Even still, I KNEW that I had just watched something special. My two friends shrugged and said they liked it, but it could have used more skin for an R rated flick. I just came back a couple of days later and watched it again by myself. This is what I call my real first time. After that viewing, I have since seen every other version that I know to exist in some format or another. I have seen this movie at least 250 times over the 24 years since that first time. Never get tired of it, and always find new things to see in it. That to me is the mark of a classic film worthy of the "Best of All Time" award. One that you can watch over and over and its stays fresh.

Oh, one last thing I remember, in the last scene, when Deckert comes into his apartment and bends down to kiss Rachel he has is gun in his hand. I remember thinking that he was going to kill her, or she was going to jump up and fight him. The whole trust/love thing took me completely by surprise the first time.

To tell you the truth, that's what I thought too when I first saw BR. Gaff said, "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?", and that somehow made it seem that Rachael's life was in danger.

So, stbrnd, what happened the second time you watched it? Was it an entirely different experience than the first time? I know it was with me.

Alex
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:31 am

hi all, sorry for bringing on an old thread but i didn't want to create another with the same contents. i like continuity. i introduced myself on the New Members section.

my first time, well i don't remember exactly when but i think it was in 1995. i was 9 in '82, and i think BR never showed on italian theaters until '86 or so, Italia is kind of an off-world colony when it comes to new stuff. i knew there were this Blade Runner movie but i always thought it was one of those lame, ordinary sci-fi B-movies, i didnt even know it was directed by Scott. at the time i was flying high with 2001: A Space Odissey, Alien and so on, you know, the big movies. then my bro came in with this BR VHS: "dude, take a look at this movie, you'll like it", "ok, i will"... but i was very, very skeptical and didn't really want to watch it. then, after some weeks i gave BR a go and... bam! totally hooked on it forever! i remember my feeling when the first scene opens up upon the 2019 LA's fires and chimneys i was like WHAT-THE-HELL-IS-THAT... half open mouth, unblinking eyes, totally mesmerized. not to mention the incredible music throughout the film. as the movie ended, i rewinded and viewed it back again. then i viewed it the next day, and the next day and the next day again, and so on for months. it was kind of a drug, i daily needed to "sink" myself into that dark, claustrophobic but incredibly fascinating world.
since that moment my life's changed, i think to BR any given day at any moment, and since then i look everything in a kind of BR point of view. so much that i really don't like sunny days, and i feel so good when it rains. i lost the count but i think i viewed it about 95-96 times now, and i'll never stop. i even turned my girlfriend into BR, she's a very sunny and "optimist" kind of girl, she hates the rain and the darkness, and i could bet she hated BR, but man i was wrong.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:20 pm

Welcome Planta...good to have you here.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:35 am

thank you! :D
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:14 am

Planta wrote:...i think BR never showed on italian theaters until '86 or so, Italia is kind of an off-world colony when it comes to new stuff.

btw, you know what, the BR DVD showed up in late 2006 in Italia! i read here in the forum that many of you got it mid '90s! what a shame! it took more than 10 years to come by this side of the planet! damn... hopefully it won't take that much for the Final Cut DVD too!
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:42 am

Planta wrote:
Planta wrote:...i think BR never showed on italian theaters until '86 or so, Italia is kind of an off-world colony when it comes to new stuff.

btw, you know what, the BR DVD showed up in late 2006 in Italia! i read here in the forum that many of you got it mid '90s! what a shame! it took more than 10 years to come by this side of the planet! damn... hopefully it won't take that much for the Final Cut DVD too!

The remastered DVD of the DC just came out this past year for us...Are you saying you just got the origional version of the DC on DVD? or the new remastered version? I thought BR was popular in Italy as it is in most of Europe.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:11 am

well, we just got the remastered version in Italia. they never imported the original DC on DVD, but VHS only. so, till late 2006 we could only watch BR in VHSs. i had to buy 2 copies of every version and duplicate them to avoid wearing out the original VHSs.
yes, BR is popular enough in Italia but as i said somewhere in BZ forum, Italia is an OffWorld colony when it comes to new stuff. damn...

btw, i have to say i was a bit disappointed by the remastered DVD quality. first of all, it all looks so blue-ish grey and faded black, while i always used to think at BR colors as orange/copper/brown/black, i mean, real deep black. the first time i watched the remastered DVD i was like Where's the black? so i made an A/B test between my VHS and the remastered DVD, and the difference was mindblowing. the VHS black parts of the image look so faded on DVD, and they took all the red shift away from the colors spectrum! for example, in the opening lines, the "Blade Runner" line is not red, it's pink! what the hell. and the sound volume also is so lowered on DVD, i have to crank it up all the way to hear something. i thought of something wrong in MY own DVD, but then i watched some friends of mine DVDs and it the same thing. damn... can't wait for the FC set!
<<

Centauro

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:21 am

WTF, no black in Blade Runner? That sucks all the way to Rome!

Has anyone else had the same experience with the remastered DVD, or are you all waiting to purchase the SE?
-------------------------------------------------------------- Revel In Your Time --------------------------------------------------------------

<<

ridleyville

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:09 pm

Centauro wrote:WTF, no black in Blade Runner? That sucks all the way to Rome!

Has anyone else had the same experience with the remastered DVD, or are you all waiting to purchase the SE?

I am absolutly delighted with the quality of the DVD and i can truly say that Black is definatly Black and it's a real shame if the benefit cannot be seen, but i have to say it's almost like watching a new film, i do not have to point out the Millennium Falcon in the opening sequence anymore because it's so clear to see.
I'm no Sherlock Holmes but i wonder if the Black and incorrect colouring are due to watching the DVD on a new LCD television and then remembering what it was like when watched on a CRT television.
If that is the case this will be an all to common problem because a LCD cannot produce black and also interprets colour different to CRT.
From my personal experience you need to buy a decent PLasma tv and not a LCD.
More human than human
PreviousNext

Return to Blade Runner Round Table