FAQ  •  Login

Deckard/Batty parallels

<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:12 pm

Deckard/Batty parallels

I was just watching the film today and I noticed some strange similarities between the two characters. Perhaps Ridley Scott felt that the connections were enough and the earlier script's line, "We were brothers, Roy Batty and I!" was too obvious an allusion to Deckard being a replicant. Anyway, here's what I've come up with:

*Both are extremely good at what they do (Blade Runner, combat model)
*Both dress similarly (long trenchcoat)
*Both are in love with a replicant
*Both characters show signs of emotional detachment but gradually improve
*Both sustain a injury to their right hand (this is heightened by the intercutting between the two trying to treat the injury)
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

THX1138

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:07 pm

Wow. I never really thought about these. I wonder if these were intentionally meant to be, or if it was all some coincidence Ridley and the writing team put together unknowingly.

Yet another reason I love these forums.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

photek

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 pm

some interesting parallels indeed. however, not to be a party pooper - Hauer discusses his relationship with Pris (if this is the Rep who you allude to in terms of his being in love) a little bit in Future Noir. he says something to effect of they have more of a brother sister relationship - ok, i know you dont kiss your sister with tongue, but he went on to discuss the pushing of her tongue in more like closing someone's eyes when they die. kind of like a burial under his circumstances. kind of a stretch, but i thought i would put that out there.

as for the hands - good job! i never made that connection. good post Kaneda.
FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD
- George Orwell
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:20 pm

I would admit..there is some stuff here I have never heard before. Very interesting :o
<<

Kaneda

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:51 pm

photek wrote:some interesting parallels indeed. however, not to be a party pooper - Hauer discusses his relationship with Pris (if this is the Rep who you allude to in terms of his being in love) a little bit in Future Noir. he says something to effect of they have more of a brother sister relationship - ok, i know you dont kiss your sister with tongue, but he went on to discuss the pushing of her tongue in more like closing someone's eyes when they die. kind of like a burial under his circumstances. kind of a stretch, but i thought i would put that out there.

as for the hands - good job! i never made that connection. good post Kaneda.

I do recall Hauer saying that, but I just considered it an added dynamic to his relationship with her. The replicants are all a family in a sense because they can relate to being slaves and they all have a common goal of survival.
"Just when my coil's reaching the green line..."
-Shotaro Kaneda

"Implants! Those aren't your mammories. They're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:40 am

Deckard was in essence a slave as well. He was basicly threatened and forced into work he did not want to do.
<<

diesaturn

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm

I always felt like the deal with the "shaky hand" was an intentional tie-in that seemed to slip in under the radar for just about everybody even to this day.

Roy has the shakes throughout the movie and at one point, Deckard & Rachel talk about both having "the shakes" after she shoots Leon. Just seems like another clue that ties them all together with the whole "accelerated decreptitude" logic.
<<

Planta

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:03 am

wow, the injured hands connection's never crossed my mind before! i always wonder when and if the BR discussing will ever reach an end... hopefully not!
<<

Gene Ettix

Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Planta wrote:wow, the injured hands connection's never crossed my mind before! i always wonder when and if the BR discussing will ever reach an end... hopefully not!

Surely, it won't. And when the Final Cut is released, we'll just be gettin' started.

On a side note:
Many religious conotations can be interpreted in BR, as well. Such as the nail through Batty's hand. O:)
ImageImageImage
<<

Masao

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 pm

You forgot one:

*Both kiss a Tyrell on the mouth!

:lol:
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner