Update: Blade Runner dvd

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

hacker233

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:02 pm

Update: Blade Runner dvd

It looks like the dvd that is going to be released this sept will just be a disc that is really just designed to update the original Snapper case release (one of Warner's first EVER releases on DVD back in 1997) in the meantime. This is a single-disc release, with no new extras, but you'll be pleased to know that the video has been completely remastered with a brand new anamorphic widescreen film transfer.

Here is the link for info: http://digitalbits.com/#brnew
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:32 pm

I'll take it regardless. No extras is fine by me, what with the MultiDiscSet coming out.
[In reference to A Good Year] "So anyway, fuck 'em. It was a good film."
-Ridley Scott
<<

hacker233

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Yea i'll take it too with no extras. I'm just happy it will have a new transfer.
<<

Kevin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:55 am

So, has anybody got a copy of this yet? What's the quality like?
It doesn't come out in the UK until 9th October.
<<

thistrain

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:12 pm

The quality is outstanding. Its a 150% improvement over the previous DVD release and is easily the best quality I've seen of this movie in VHS, laserdisc, and DVD releases. The colors are bright and vivid and there's no noticeable grain or artifacting. Scenes are not nearly as dark and murky as the previous DVD release, and the anamorphic transfer looks beautiful on a widescreen TV. The side of the image fits the screen perfectly now, unlike the last version which didn't quite fit. Even the opening credits are crisp and sharp and easy to read. I must have said Wow a hundred times watching this DVD. The only downside is its still Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital 5.1. It has 36 chapters and no bonus material at all, however it was well worth the upgrade. Stunning. Can't wait to watch it again.
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:56 pm

I second the recomendation for this DVD. It is beautiful...no extras but like I said in another post I thought it was clearer then when I saw it at the theatres a couple of years ago. I have already watched it twice since I got it and I am planning on watching it again tonight. Well worth the $12.99 I paid for it.
<<

carson

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:55 am

thistrain wrote:The only downside is its still Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital 5.1.

I have to wonder why?
In an age of almost everything coming out in multi-channel sound I wish I had something to ease the suffering. A few years back I really unloaded on 5 full range B&W speakers and Velodyne sub. Combined with a Denon receiver and a special designed room I never go to the theater because it sounds so good at home.
Anyone in the know about DVD production think the process to remaster the 2.0 sound into 5.1 would have really added that much cost to the end result?
When even small budget Indy movies are appearing now in 5.1, I dont get it as to why this DVD is DD2.0. Yes, Dolby Pro Logic II sounds good but not like a good mastered DD5.1 or DTS5.1. (A DTS5.1 track would be great to have on the "Final Cut" vs.)
Also I'm beginning to wonder about "The Final Cut" edition in 2007.
If four versions are on the multi-disc set I now am curious if only the last "Final Cut" version will be multi-channel and the OT Vs. and original DC Vs. and the Extended Vs. will still be only 2 channel sound.
God, I hope not. Lots of movies wouldn't matter but to me Vangelis' score really was as important as the storyline and look of the film itself - to me. They just seemed interwoven to a point that they became one. I couldn't imagine it any other way.
Maybe I'm somewhat OCD about it. :)
But anyway, if anyone has an idea as to the question "why?", I would enjoy reading your input.
If it's just me? I can up the prozac :) j/k
Regards,
carson
Favorite movie: Blade Runner - Favorite Music: Blade Runner then anything by Vangelis.
<<

Kevin

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:12 am

Can anybody do me a really big favour and grab some screen captures for me?

I would really like a clear shot of Deckard's apartment key card. It's shown sharply for two frames just after Rachel surprises him outside his apartment. Also his ID that he shows the police officers after he retires Zhora.

If you can help out, thanks in advance.
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 am

thistrain wrote:The side of the image fits the screen perfectly now, unlike the last version which didn't quite fit.

Do you mean the cropped it on the bottom, or did they open up the sides a bit more?

Some screen caps would be nice.
-Ridley Scott
<<

counterstrike

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:38 pm

Mini review of new release + comparison screens

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... runner.htm
<<

undertoe

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:49 pm

how does the new DVD release compare to the HDNET 1080i version?
<<

br_collector

Senior Rep Detector
Senior Rep Detector

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:19 am

I'm very excited to see this new remastered version which has not yet been released in my area, I want to ask is it worth buying this version now or would it be better to wait until next year for the box set which I assume will contain the same thing?
The only crumple zone on a Cobra is the other car
<<

Tomtrek

Rep Detect Instructor
Rep Detect Instructor

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:04 am

Holy wow, the new transfer looks amazing.

I will totally have to pick this up when it's out in Region 2, even if there is the super-release coming out next year, more money towards BR is never a bad thing (also I am a consumer whore).

"They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer. "
<<

deleted

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:08 pm

counterstrike wrote:Mini review of new release + comparison screens

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... runner.htm

Thanks!
-Ridley Scott
<<

undertoe