WISHLIST for Blade Runnner Special Edition DVD

Moderator: dmohrUSC

<<

Precinct

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon May 29, 2006 10:46 am

Leon Corporation wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=11137

I wonder if some of this is going to be true, especially the placement of the unicorn dream.

I knew i'd regret clicking on that link. Oh dear.
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:26 am

You regret it? Why? Let your thoughts be heard!
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 am

I would agree with most of what everyone has added here. The one scene I do feel the movie is missing though is the Zhora snake dance scene. every time i watch the movie I feel like I have been ripped off by not seeing it. Also the finding of the real Tyrell in the cryo chamber would also be very cool IMHO. I think it might have a geater impact to make Deckard somepoint (and the audience) question the humanity of all of the "human" characters in the film, not just Deckard. I still feel leaving Deck's humaness an open question makes for a stronger film and will continue to create dialog more than any clear cut answer would. I feel very strongly more than ever that having the ambiguous(or Androidogynous...sorry) Deck/rep is one of the things that gave the film so much longevity. I would rather see the embers of this film burn on for a long time to come than in one bright final burn out.
<<

Precinct

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon May 29, 2006 1:34 pm

ridleynoir wrote:I would agree with most of what everyone has added here. The one scene I do feel the movie is missing though is the Zhora snake dance scene

As you know, it was never filmed due to budget constraints.

I never knew such a scene was even planned until i read 'Future Noir' by which time i'd enjoyed BR for 13 years without ever getting the feeling something was missing.

The only way to put this right would be to... i can't even contemplate it.

Dont do a George Mucus on us Ridley!
Last edited by Precinct on Mon May 29, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Precinct

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Leon Corporation wrote:You regret it? Why? Let your thoughts be heard!

Harry Knowles.

Some of the proposed changes.

The responses below.

I'm leaving it there! :wink:

The previously undiscovered scene, that ties in with the Unicorn sounds interesting. I wonder if its the one that Terry Rawlings has described where the Unicorn is intercut with shots of Deckard reacting, turning his back to the piano, flinching as the Unicorn tosses its head etc

Was this in the WP? I'm going to have to get Future Noir out again.
<<

THX1138

Post Mon May 29, 2006 2:01 pm

My brother was talking about redoing the voice over by Harrison Ford. He still sounds like he can do a voice over, they can get some new dialog for it.
"Don't be a dick!" -Wil Wheaton
<<

ridleynoir

Veteran Blade Runner
Veteran Blade Runner

Post Mon May 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Precinct wrote:
ridleynoir wrote:I would agree with most of what everyone has added here. The one scene I do feel the movie is missing though is the Zhora snake dance scene

As you know, it was never filmed due to budget constraints.

I never knew such a scene was even planned until i read 'Future Noir' by which time i'd enjoyed BR for 13 years without ever getting the feeling something was missing.

The only way to put this right would be to... i can't even contemplate it.

Dont do a George Mucus on us Ridley!

I think ridley could do it right...he orgionaly intended an effects scene for it anyway according to film noir(thus it's cost). As long as the scene isn't too long and they keep it aptmospheric using the same lighting and cramped camera shots. Most importantly keep it short...just enough to get the idea and not take away from the flow of the film...Lucas made the mistake of wanting to linger on his new effects shots and even change scene meaning with the infamous greedo first shot and luke screaming as he fell in bespin....uggh :P` many have already learned from his mistakes. I personally enjoyed the inclusion of the jabba scene in SW ep4 SE...and even a few other scenes.
<<

THX1138

Post Mon May 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Reading the article on Aintitcoolnews, it talks about CGI backgrounds (spinners, traffice, buildings, and more) and added sound effects, remastered music, it sounds like it's going to be like the Star Wars Trilogy Special edition. Isn't this what I was talking about 6 months ago? I had a post and a big debate with RC Sandstorm about Ridley Scott going back and remastering the audio, cleaning up the video, and adding some CGI elements to get his original visual idea out there?

http://www.bladezone.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... hlight=cgi
<<

Leon Corporation

Rep Detector Handler
Rep Detector Handler

Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:51 pm

THX1138 wrote:Reading the article on Aintitcoolnews, it talks about CGI backgrounds (spinners, traffice, buildings, and more) and added sound effects, remastered music, it sounds like it's going to be like the Star Wars Trilogy Special edition. Isn't this what I was talking about 6 months ago? I had a post and a big debate with RC Sandstorm about Ridley Scott going back and remastering the audio, cleaning up the video, and adding some CGI elements to get his original visual idea out there?

That sounds more like a 'Special Edition' than a new 'cut' .
Leon Corporation Employee
<<

THX1138

Post Tue May 30, 2006 11:33 am

Leon Corporation wrote:
THX1138 wrote:Reading the article on Aintitcoolnews, it talks about CGI backgrounds (spinners, traffice, buildings, and more) and added sound effects, remastered music, it sounds like it's going to be like the Star Wars Trilogy Special edition. Isn't this what I was talking about 6 months ago? I had a post and a big debate with RC Sandstorm about Ridley Scott going back and remastering the audio, cleaning up the video, and adding some CGI elements to get his original visual idea out there?

That sounds more like a 'Special Edition' than a new 'cut' .

According to Aintitcoolnews's report from the inside guy, that's what's happening. I don't know how much I like it or how much I believe it, but I'm just happy it's coming out in theatres again.
<<

Ed9960

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:48 am

There are so many different versions of Blade Runner, and yet in many cases the differences are so subtle that they go by almost unnoticed*. You know what I think they should do? I think they should include ALL the recorded scenes for the film, both used and unused, and let the viewer make their own cut out of them! Wouldn't that be great? They could re-title it 'Blade Runner: The Viewer's Cut'!

OK, I admit, that's an idea that's about 99.9% likely not to work. But hey. :lol:

*OK, so that doesn't go for the endings of the Theatrical and Director's Cut, the Unicorn dream, etc. But come on, an extra shot of a bowl of sushi in the Workprint? Pris getting shot three times instead of two? What's that all about?!
<<

the_captain

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:34 pm

The option to construct your own film would be great. Something similar has been done with specific scenes in a special edition (five star?) of Die Hard. Knowing that things like adding/taking out scenes is easily done and that things like the voice over is but an audio track like a director's commentary, it would be totally feasible and one very interesting special feature (or indeed, it would recquire a whole disk in itself).

It will sadly not be in the very special edition coming for 2007.
<<

Ed9960

Rookie Rep Detect
Rookie Rep Detect

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:43 pm

That's pretty cool! I didn't know that something similar had actually been done for a DVD before. But still, if all versions of the film plus Ridley Scott's new cut are going to be included, I guess there's very little to complain about... :wink:

As well as deleted scenes, commentaries, etc etc, what I'd really like to see included on the DVD is some behind the scenes footage. I get the impression that there must be a hell of a lot of it in existence, because I keep seeing various snippets of footage taken on the set, but they're always painfully short. For example, just a moment ago I happened to flick onto a documentary about Harrison Ford on the Biography Channel, and during the bit about Blade Runner there were a couple of clips- literally several seconds long- from the city set, including a great overhead shot of the bit where Deckard is thrown onto a car windshield by Leon. There's also some similar footage in the 'Hooray For Hollywood' TV short that's on this site somewhere, and on this page there are some screengrabs of on-set footage featuring Rutger Hauer. It'd be really exciting if the best of these clips could be included in their entirety, or maybe even gathered into a behind the scenes documentary of some kind.

I wouldn't mind seeing some outtakes too, but I dunno... it depends on whether or not they're actually entertaining. :)
<<

nails6365

BladeZone Website Manager

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

i dont know, but get the feeling that this particular disc will be different than most others, either in respects of extra or the movie itself.

be the director was an idea for the MIB film where you could arrange the sequences you wanted and then played that scene, but that would involve many cuts of the film already on the disc.

The seamless branching is where i would put my money, making it possible for the T2 special edition to have no less than 3 versions of one film on one disc and they all lasted the whole duration (some 2:40 hours?) plus the SE was 17 min longer and the SE-DC was some 5 mons longer than that!

I wonder how our forums and site will change once the film is released? (funny enough i watched the Workprint last night and noticed many more differences not listed in the WP-companion)
all text is the view from myself and has no bearing or opinion of Bladezone.
<<

The Abyss Gazes Also

Rep Detector
Rep Detector

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 am

nails6365 wrote:I wonder how our forums and site will change once the film is released? (funny enough i watched the Workprint last night and noticed many more differences not listed in the WP-companion)

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what else is different in the WP (I haven't seen all of it myself).

I hope that the Final Cut will spark alot of discussion and debate, as it should.

How "seamless" is the branching? I haven't seen it in action.
"It would only take a nudge to make you like me; to push you out of the light."

The Abyss Gazes Also
PreviousNext

Return to Special Edition - Final Cut